Buff Protection Warrior DPS

Mastery should give more AP, more Leech, or some AOE damage.

1 Like

Doesn’t help you aren’t running the correct talents for optimal output with 2p/4p.

Class Tree

• Drop Barbaric Training
  • Drop Pain and Gain (Optional)

Barbaric Training looks good on paper, but it doesn’t actually improve our multi-target damage output over normal Revenge. More Revenge = more SS = more rage. This is important because in the Protection tree we’re already taking talents like Impenetrable Wall which increases our rage generation by 20% with SS. The rage from this talent alone is usually enough to contest Bloodsurge.

Personally, I don’t use Pain and Gain since it’s benefit is so trivial that I’d rather the point anywhere else, like Wrecking Throw or Bounding Stride for that utility.

In general, you should be leaning into your Shield Slam, not away from it. Pick up Bolster, grab Unnerving Focus for raid or ST, drop it for M+.

All this said, yes - I still think we need some kind of improvement. Being a “selfish” tank without a lot of overall group or raid utility compared to other tanks, it makes being a warrior a difficult justification.

Blizzard needs to lean into each tank’s theme and niche, then develop them that way. If all tanks do equal damage and can survive equally fine, then throughput will never be the consideration… only buff coverage and utility.

When we’re not equal in damage and survivability? Oof.

3 Likes

Because it’s meant to off-set the DPS loss from the Battering Ram hotfix. Battering Ram was improperly applying +20% Critical Damage to ALL of our abilities, not just Shield Charge.

When they hotfixed it our damage cratered, so this is roughly how much DPS we lost from the change.

…and it still exposes how trash Warriors actually are. Look at the +20 key representation for M+.

1 Like

I’ll try that out. To be honest, I copy pasted the spec from Wowhead mid S1.

The problem with the warrior talent tree is that it is bloated with bull$#@%

For example…Ignore Pain not being baseline to Prot. Why should we have to spec that? Enduring Alacrity should be in Ignore Pain’s place as a free stat increase and give the tank spec its BASELINE TANKING ABILITY.

DPS isn’t the issue. It’s the bleeds these days. I routinely end keys doing 70-80k DPS, but a bleed from the big rocks on a fort Neltharion’s Lair is a terrifying proposition. And completely unavoidable.

2 Likes

Armor should reduce bleeds. It has been a stupid design decision since vanilla for bleeds to ignore armor (Armor doesn’t stop a bleed how?).

Either that, or give all tanks talents that reduce bleed damage received. But yes, damage is an issue, because either we do the most damage of all tanks like S1, or become useless because we don’t have any utility.

3 Likes

I don’t think it should stop at bleeds, but stacking dot damage in general. The raid uses a very large amount of stacking dot damage and it’s crippling at times. I’m actually scared of the trash on the way to experiments.

Do you run Bitter Immunity for that?

bitter immunity doesn’t remove bleeds. I dwarf the first and wall/demo shout the 2nd. this let’s me have dwarf up for the 2nd big rock dude up top.

edit: now that i’m thinking of it, dwarf doesnt even remove that DoT. It’s not a “bleed” – it is a physical damage over time effect. still gives me the DR though from the racial.

1 Like

Good call. For some reason my memory was that BI removed all on a 3 minute CD from PvP, but you are correct.

i was thinking it was a bleed, but i remembered i tried to cauterize the tank on my evoker yesterday and it didnt work. Just a physical DoT. An oversight on blizzard’s part imo. Some tanks just can’t handle that debuff w/o externals at any moderately challenging level (~+20)

maybe an argument for running Battle-scarred Veteran, if anything lol.

I don’t think I have seen anyone use this since they made it a 3 minute CD. But yeah, it would still be good for that type of damage.

You should absolutely be in battle stance 99 percent of the time. Swapping to def stance should be used as a defensive cd when none other are available.

2 Likes

You mean God like in DF S1 not a few days

CD has nothing to do with it. Battle-Scarred Veteran just doesn’t work properly, and if it does, the design is completely clownshoes.

The spell checks pre-mitigation hits against current HP to determine if it procs or not, so it can go off at like 80%+ because tanks have a lot of passive mitigation.

It’s useless, frankly. They should program it to work similar to Will of the Necropolis in terms of triggers, because WotN separates pre-threshold and post-threshold damage to determine what is and isn’t mitigated by it.

2 Likes

LOL, since I’ve made this thread, they’ve buffed Prot Warrior damage by 20 percent and now are removing 5 percent of the damage penalty from Defensive Stance.

JUST REMOVE THE STANCES AND GIVE US 20 PERCENT LESS DAMAGE RECEIVED AND 3%CRIT

1 Like

What the warrior lacks are utilities, these Buffs don’t change the “status quo”

1 Like

My damage has been pretty good by always running battlestance. I’d be happy if they just add a silence affect to heroic throw, and bloodlust. Giving paladin a combat rez was a huge patronizing slap to warriors.

2 Likes

I feel like at this point we need to bring at least bloodlust.