Bring me your Rogue Tips (PVP)

New to Rogue. Played a bit in WOD, but shelved him since.

I feel like i have a pretty good grasp on what abilities do what, how my opener goes, and generally how to dish out damage, but i find myself in a panic or uncertain what to do once my initial burst is out.

Speaking from Assassination, i feel like the only pressure i can get out is from my opener and with vendetta. After that, what do you do? slowly whittle away while controlling? By opener, i don’st mean an initial stun. My opener usually goes enhanced garrote, rupture, mutilate, mutilate, (maybe toxic blade), envenom, MFD, envenom or kidney with bleed talent.

If vendetta is up, i’ll pop that, but after that, what am i supposed to be doing? I feel like the damage is lackluster outside of that.

Thanks for any tips.

You could:

Vanish and repeat most your opener.
Toss out a blind and try to restealth.
Whittle them down until your CD’s are up.
Play defensively and try to force them to use their CD’s.

Try doing some daily quests where you engage elite mobs, something that will survive your opener. The “faceless” elites in Uldum and Vale of Eternal Blossom would good ones to practice on.

you need some level of gear to kill things on a rogue now, i have a 435 rogue and cant really solo anyone that has 450k+ hp. you can contribute in other ways but its pretty annoying when you cant bring down one guy when you need to

Thanks for the tips and that actually makes me feel a bit better.

I had to kill 6 of those elite Uldum mobs last night for the quest. I believe they had around 1600k HP. I found that i was able to get them to about 60% maybe lower by the time vendetta was up, but after that my stuns went on DR and i was barely doing any damage.

I timed my defensives and positioned myself well i feel, but after my defensives were done, stun on DR and none of my CDs up i started dying quick. Died once or twice when i got them down to about 10%. Granted this is with about 410 ilvl, but still, i feel like that should be soloable.

What about multiple mobs? Any advice?

Typically I will get rupture up on 1 or 2 mobs then burn the others one at a time. Maybe toss in a FoK to get some poison ticking.

Multi mob just opener garrote 3 rupture they then hit FOK and run a few feet FOK again to reapply crippling. Watch them rot to dots and re apply.

So one big thing I see a lot of rogues messing up on. Trying to go toe to toe with melee classes. You’re going to want to kite. Don’t be afraid to use your vanish as an offensive cd. You need to keep track of your enemy’s cd’s with every cd you use your goal is to force an enemy’s defensive or one of their cd’s. Kite all DH’s and Warriors. Kite pallies and monks. They will try to cast a heal you’ll need to step kick them.

Now going on other rogues and even DH. They are going to try to blur or evasion your kidney. If you have a kidney get dodged it is the worst feeling in the world. If you see evasion or blur on you need to kidneystep. You can’t dodge an attack from behind it will totally negate their dodge %. Also kick eye beam I’m not even playing. Any specific question feel free to ask. Been playing Rogue since Vanilla.

This is a really good tip, just remember demon hunters blur still works even if your behind them, so it’s best saving kidney shot for after blur is down

Damn I had no idea blur worked from behind too. Of course blizzard bends the rules when it comes to them. Thank you!