Bring back Holy Shield for prot

I literally went theough everypage of that link. Nothing came up, so I am just gonna call you out on making up stuff.

The very first introduction of it was 4.0.1

I even searched for it on the page you linked. Not 1 result came up.

I’m not sure why it doesn’t come up on wowhead, but I just gave you a link to it. Regardless, my point still stands that prot in retail currently doesn’t do a whole lot besides spam shield of the righteous, and BH/HotR. Removing holy shield was entirely pointless as it removed one of our active mitigation abilities that could be paired perfectly with SotR. Warrior’s have kept shield block all of these years, I see no reason why paladin lost holy shield.

1 Like

SotR righr now literally IS shieldblock. It does 100% what shieldblock does.

Also I found the original sotr. It had 0 mitigation and was just a dps ability. It did dmg based on your block. It waa more closely tied to a warriors shield slam.

So all they did was give give the block component from holy shield to sotr which is much better and engaging design.

Except its not.

SotR
Slams enemies in front of you with your shield, causing (42.5% of Attack power) Holy damage, and increasing your Armor by X

It increases your armor.

Shield Block
Raise your shield, blocking all melee attacks against you for 6 sec.

It increases your block chance

Holy Shield (tbc)
Increases chance to block by 30% for 10 sec and deals 155 Holy damage for each attack blocked while active. Damage caused by Holy Shield causes 35% additional threat. Each block expends a charge. 4 charges.

Increases your block chance (like shield block), and does holy damage on successful blocks.

Prot USED to have shield block, all it has now is an armor increase. It doesn’t give you block chance.

1 Like

Wrong. 100% wrong lol

Man, I mean, you’re wrong again lol.

Sotr gives armor and shield block is literally raising your block %.

They are not the same.

If paladin had shield block like prot warrior paladins might be the most tanky spec in the game. Take very little physical damage and then have a ton of absorb shields through first avenger talent + divine toll.

1 Like

I mean it already is.

Wrong. It goes against your desire. Stay on Classic. Plenty of people like Prot as it is now.

Confirmed trolling

There is a lot more to Protection Paladin than spamming SoTR. The active mitigation only stacks up to 13 seconds, so we need to keep that in mind. You could brainlessly spam SoTR, but it is beneficial to sometimes hold off for a tank buster on bosses. Our defensive abilities also have pretty short cool downs, Ardent Defender can be used almost every pull and should be used very liberally.

I also main tanked in Wrath, and I would say that tanking in Shadowlands has definitely been more engaging with all of the interrupts, self-sustain, cool-down management, ect.

Holy Shield (tbc)
Increases chance to block by 30% for 10 sec and deals 155 Holy damage for each attack blocked while active.

This is essentially our talent now.

That literally addresses nothing in my response so I am going to go ahead and assume you are just a troll, 30 undead death knight.

I don’t necessarily mean spamming as in actually just spamming the button. I more so mean that it is prots only real tanking ability to spend holy power on (aside from wog). Holy shield would be a great addition and could easily work alongside SoTR just like it did in wrath and would add a bit more to prot to make it more interesting, as well as giving it back its most flavorful and iconic ability. I don’t see a reason not to bring it back.

If they brought it back, it would probably take Holy Power to cast, so it would interfere with uptime of SoR.

To me, to truly be playing a pally tank, you’re using a lot more abilities. Basically, you don’t have to use SoR every time, especially if the mobs you are fighting don’t hit hard and also with over 40% block and 20% parry, I don’t have to rely on SoR all the time, so I tend to use Word of Glory a lot to heal myself and others. I also interrupt and cleanse a lot as well, because cleanse is a cheap cast for me, but not for a healer. Of course, The Magistrat’s Judgement is my tank legendary of choice to help allow me such freedom and with tanking a lot of pugs, it helps to give a lot of flexibility when things don’t go smoothly.

Not that that would really matter, that 30% extra block chance would easily outshine the armor bonus from SotR. That or just don’t make it cost holy power.

1 Like

There’s a big difference in the incoming damage in a +15, +20, or +25 versus a sub-10 key. We need near 100% uptime on SoTR. You should not be spamming WoG without SoTR buff.

3 Likes

I feel like, when Shield of the Righteous got transformed from a baseline “strike” that all specs got in WotLK into a protection talent that consumed holy power from Cataclysm through Shadowlands, that SotR triggered Holy Shield.

Looking at an actual Cataclysm talent calculator, though, it’s not true at all—at least, it wasn’t in later Cataclysm patches.

That being said, what if SotR did increase our block chance by a percentage and caused blocks to reflect holy damage to the attacker, instead of having the armor-boost effect that it currently has?

That would still be boring, holy shield is more flavorful and would give it another button to press. Prot had both in wrath just give us both back.

1 Like

Protection already has 2 buffs to maintain (Shield of the Righteous and Consecration) - it doesn’t need a third.

1 Like

Consecration is not a buff. It has always used consecration, since vanilla, and even when it had SotR AND holy shield in wrath. Its not even an ability you really think about, you just drop it and forget. Holy shield is literally just giving them a shield block ability similar to what warriors have.

It gives a buff that provides a large amount of damage reduction when you stand on it. It has to be maintained. Have you tried reading the tooltip or your buff bar?

Sounds like you just want to play a Warrior.