Brew to warrior... and back

Cool, you say bones at 20… I’ll believe you.
So what’s the thing that hooks you into Warrior?
From my experience I disliked the screaming and constant devastate. But I’ve heard some warriors actually love that, which is great! You feel that way too? Or is there more you like?

While playing at 40 I already noticed a remarkable difference to the ‘feel’ of the class. I think Blizz did a really good job capturing the RAGE vibe when playing warrior. It’s not just the name of the resource. A player can almost experience it! When I got rage starved I was like “I NEED MOAR RRAAGE”… when the stuff finally proc it was like AHH YEEES! and it felt very satisfying to rage dump… but then… MOAR…MOOOARRAGEE… :slight_smile:

It turns out that these are important to how a class functions. Warriors go from being rage starved to having more than enough and when you’ve got all of your talents and essences and what-not your rotation speeds up a lot.

You don’t even have unstoppable force yet at 40. You know how you were complaining about waiting for TC to come back? Yeah, well, it massively reduces the CD and juices the damage of thunderclap while avatar is up. It equals more damage, more threat, and more rage.

You then add booming voice which synergizes with it by further increasing damage done during your burst window, and anger management which reduces your CDs based off of the rage you spend, and the pace of the spec changes completely.

Add visions of perfection to that, which procs avatar at random and reduces its CD further, and warriors are very fast paced aoe monsters.

And this isn’t even getting into the defensive aspects! The point Aedan and others are making is that at 40 you are missing crucial parts of what makes the spec tick.

You need to get to 120 before you judge it. At least to 100-110.

4 Likes

Yeah my friend recently got into wow.

From level 1-5 he was ready to quit because he was pressing one button.

I told him to persevere and that it would get better despite what it looks like at low level.

At level 20 it got fun enough for him to buy a sub.

That was a couple of days ago and now he is a lvl 82 monk and having a great time.

You cant judge somethings at low level.

1 Like

Yeah… level 5 is pretty low, I agree. Someone else here suggested lvl 20 has the bones of the class. I proposed that by 40 the class has wrapped up basic core mechanics.
The majority seem to suggest that to get a feel for the class you have to wait to 120… get your essences and try endgame… to get the feel for the class… only at endgame…
… am not gonna argue the point. I came here to hear from warriors about what they love about warriors and that’s the answer I got.
I accept it.

1 Like

The amount your class changes based on azerite and essences is why everyones telling you that, the same could be said for other classes. In previous expansions this wasn’t this case, but because of the system we have now this is how it is.

1 Like

I see what you’re saying, but am not trying to min/max or arguing for the “ultimate” experience “at endgame”…

You see, I don’t skip content. I don’t just go to class trials or rush to endgame.

What I wanted to hear from warriors here is what they love about warriors. What hooks them and keeps them playing from level 1 ALL THE WAY to endgame.

But the focus of most responses here some to be “you gotta wait till endgame”…

Goodness, BY ENDGAME every tank class has SO MANY ABILITIES AND GOODIES… they’re pretty much been homogenized. I’ve played endgame already! Endgame is not what I wanted to talk about!

What is it about warriors that MAKES YOU ENDURE THE GRIND TO ENDGAME. What do you LOVE about warriors?! Sell me warriors!

Still waiting for that enthusiastic player that truly advocates warrior class. If I just want to endgame, I stick with my 120 monk… there is just so much abilities, talents, and cool stuff Blizz can reward you with. By the time you get endgame, a lot of the lines that distinguish classes are blurred.

At level 40 you have very few abilities. And what you do have makes each tank play and FEEL different! That was my point…

But I didn’t want this thread to turn into an argument about playing at 40 vs endgame…

… all I wanted is warrior fans say why they stick with warrior at level 10…20…30…40…50…60…aaaaaaall the way to end game.

But no… the answer seems to be “ENDGAME”… and I already said I accepted that answer… apparently, warrior is a miserable experience, and the love for warrior STARTS… at the END of the game.

To be fair, I realize the people who truly love warrior, the ones I was trying to reach, don’t bother with forums… they are probably enjoying warrior IN GAME.

I have to find them there.

Edit: And I’d like to add, to those who responded with “Endgame” and missed the point I wanted to talk about… that it’s cool, I don’t blame you… for years Blizz has been luring players with “empowerment” making “getting strong quick” and “competing to be the best” your sole drive.

So I understand, where you’re coming from when your sole focus is “Endgame”. Cheers. :beer:

2 Likes

Get off your freaking soap box dude. You didn’t get the answers you were hoping for and you won’t quit whining about it. If you want to know why no ones telling how they ‘endure the grind’ to max level its because no one who loves the class like alot of us do has anything to endure. Theres no special trick how I survived levelling a warrior - it was fun, easy, and awesome. I pushed my buttons and drank mountain dew like a freaking gamer.

2 Likes

I mean… I was just saying that you shouldn’t pass judgement until later on. Every spec/class is boring/basic at level 40.

When I levelled my warrior the open world was challenging relative to now–i.e. I was a completely awful noob who was fury but too scared of taking extra damage in zerker stance so I sat in battle or defensive stance 90% of the time… which is adorable, but also terrible–but I didn’t endure anything.

I went on an adventure across Azeroth/Outlands, smacking things with huge freakin’ swords/clubs/whatever I could find with heavy metal blaring in the background and I had a blast doing it despite being terrible at practically everything. Because I love warriors.

Is that more the kind of post you’re looking for? I didn’t even know how to play the game back then. lol

2 Likes

Aedan, I see you’ve been playing that warrior since BC and your chained record of achievement is very impressive. You obviously love warrior, I know.
… so it was Mt. Dew that carried you all those years… you could have been a great Brew… if there was alcohol in Mt. Dew… lol

Vadimier, I think changing stances was a really cool feature of warriors. It’s interesting how you used it even leveling as fury. Monks used to have stances too. I wish they made a comeback.

1 Like

I used them completely incorrectly at first but I loved them when I learned how to use them right. :grin:

The original warrior I learned on is still on horde. Haven’t played him in years.

1 Like

What I think eh? Well let me tell you I’ve seen many different iterations of the warrior class. It was my first and final, love at first sight. I started to raid seriously in ICC and going forward, always tanked, I personally love tanking and all aspects of it.

Now the warrior class back then is not what it is now, we had stances and macros and tab targeting and sunder stacks and heroic strike and even execute. Us prot warriors had an awesome ability named shield barrier that costs x amount of rage and absorbs y amount of dmg (sound familiar) and we could always slam the shield in your face

Anyway what made the warrior king in vanilla and essentially what makes it so great today (albeit many competing factors implemented since vanilla) Is our ability to BLOCK

yes young monk my shield arm is strong! Protection warriors wield a 1h weapon and a sturdy shield that adds armor and a base block chance. Now when an alliance rogue starts his attack I have a 28% chance to successfully block any physical strike. Now you may think that blocking an attack would leave you unscathed but to the contrary it reduces the magnitude of the physical attack (aka block value) by 60% or so.

Now you can say “what’s the big deal? Paladins and shamans can wield shields why aren’t they great tanks?” Well that’s because, as I mentioned, our shield arm is strong. Shield block: raise your shield for x seconds increasing block CHANCE by 100%, essentially every swing of the dagger by each mob we block and that initial 20k strike is widdled down to a puny 400dmg after accounting for armor, block value, absorbs and so forth

In short monk it is the protection warriors, the mighty vanguards, clasp in heavy plate armor and increased stamina we battle hardened soldiers are able to migrate an onslaught of attacks in order to protect our allies.

Hellscreamer was born of the shield and will die with the shield

3 Likes

Goodness, I loved this so much. Thank you!
And I agree, the shield seems like the “main weapon” to a prot warrior.
Sometimes I muse about warriors going all out and dual wielding shields! :slight_smile:

Edit: … or 2h shield? Lol

1 Like