Brew to warrior... and back

I tried prot warrior coming from brew. It felt a lot more violent and stressful. I was just lvl 40 prot. I was spamming devastate, shield slam on cooldown and on proc, revenge on proc, thunder on cooldown.
I always felt rage starved… spamming devastate… so much devastate…
I tried keeping ignore pain and shield block up as much as possible… oh goodness, the screams… so much screaming!! Are you used to the screaming?
Tanking felt much more tanky than brew, like I wasn’t getting damaged as much.
Thunder and revenge sounded like a tank firing its cannons, which seems appropriate for a tank…
I had a hard time keeping aggro when the healer decided to aggro the world… THE WORLD… my only AoE was thunder and i agonized every moment it was on cooldown.
Am going back to brew. I can’t stand the screaming, devastate spamming… and all that screaming.

How do you enjoy prot tanking? What is it you love about it? Have you tried Brew and are there things about Brew that annoy you?

It’s great we have different tanking styles. I’m here to learn your perspective.

I think you should try it at max level before judging it.

Refer to previous statement. It’s a non-issue at max level.

I play with the game sound off.

It is fast paced and rewards you for playing correctly. It is very strong if you know what you’re doing but you can get pancaked if you’re bad at it.

I’ve all the tanks at max level other than DH. I don’t like DHs.

Brewmaster is fine and I have no complaints about it when I’m playing mine.

4 Likes

I mostly tank on my paladin but recently capped a warrior and i am enjoying the spec alot. Its dynamic, active, the abilities and their effects are pleasing.

Mostly i like it because it’s different from the pally tank. I also appreciate the strategy behind the def CDs the spec offers.

1 Like

I agree, warrior effects are cool. Every time i thunder it felt like my monitor would break. With shield slam i felt like the mob should have gone flying to the side. :stuck_out_tongue:

So nothing in this mildly long winded post is worth reading. Understood.

1 Like

No need to get defensive, dude… oh wait, prot warrior… very clever, very clever… :wink:

Judging a class by playing it at level 40 is bad enough. Making a whine post about it on the forums is even worse.

2 Likes

Just ignore it then man… I think if you read the whole post you’d understand and not trying to attack warriors. Like skip to the end of the post… I’m sharing my experience and wondering about your perspective. That’s all… tell me how you love warriors? What you’re experience like?

3 Likes

It’s not defensive, and I don’t really care if you’re “attacking” warriors or not. You’re basing literally anything off of a spec before it’s max level.

Nothing you have to say is worth reading on the subject. The end.

My perspective is at 120.

3 Likes

Is it really any worse than half the nonsense some of the 120s spew around here? Some people need to start over and level all over again.

2 Likes

I don’t mean to hurt anyone’s feelings… but to say nothing I say is worth it, because I played at 40? That’s a little mean…
Level 40 is not an arbitrary level. Lvl 40 is significant and special, IMO. Take a look at all tanks abilities at 40. By 40 tanks acquired their bread and butter abilities.
Actually, not having all those goodies acquired at levels beyond 40 forces a player to make the best with those bread and butter abilities.

For example, tanking warrior at 40, I learned

1. that rage is limited and I should be mindful how I spend it.
  2. That if I revenge on cool down, I may not have rage for defensives.
  3. That at a time, I may have to choose between IP or Shield Block, but if I’m on top of devastating and pulling rage generators timely, I may be able to have both IP and block up and it’s happiness.
  4. That practicing on a dummy is not the same as actually getting hit, warrior tanks favor big pulls.
  5. That there is a lot of screaming while tanking warrior… a lot.
    And other basic things that give Warrior tank its flavor are already available at 40, like opening with charge… you may take that for granted but coming from brew open with charge is a novelty.

Of course, higher levels brings all sorts of nice things, but without them one is needs focus on getting the basics of the class down, and be good at the basics.

1 Like

I love the shouts, RRRRRAAAAAAAHHHH ORC SMASH. Then there’s

Not enough rage
Need more rage
Not enough rage

1 Like

Mate, no one’s feelings are hurt. You are failing to grasp this basic thing. You cannot accurately speak on a class or spec before 120, with azerite gear and essences. It’s akin to reading the prologue of a book and then giving a review.

It’s not an attack or an insult, it’s stating a fact.

That’s nice. You’re wrong, but it’s special that you have that in your head I suppose. It has no objective bearing, though.

There’s literally no decision there though. Both have their time to be uses, you should never have to think which should I use.

Every tank “favours” big pulls.

Literally no idea what this means.

3 Likes

You seriously got to be trolling me now. All those things you quoted me and your responses… you can’t be serious…
Dang it, I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic or not…
I’ll assume you’re being dead serious and you really mean what you say.

Well, am not trying to convince you of anything. If that’s how you truly feel I’ll accept your responses.

1 Like

I have never played monk, only play plate tanks and from word on the street brew can keep up their AM 100% with ease.

It’s looking like that may be more your speed mate

1 Like

Yes, it’s easy to keep monk AM 100%… sort off. Monk AM is, basically, two abilities that share charges with a single cool down. It has two stages… a delay and a clear… the delay is what you’ve heard monks keep up 100%… delay is 0% mitigation it’s just delay.
That’s why if you ever go brew, compared to warrior, you’d notice you take more damage, you need more heals but it’s delayed… you’re easier to heal…
The clear is where any actual mitigation happens. And since it shares cool down and charges, it gets tricky.
Aside from that, monks can “mitigate” by not being there to get hit in the first place and making mobs hit something else, Those are 100% damage mitigation… when then monk pulls them off correctly.

You’re right, I like monks very much! :). … but am here to learn from you about how YOU like warriors. What do you think?

Keep the Queen’s English on your side of the pond :non-potable_water:

Even class trials start at 110 dude. There’s really just nothing going on at your level thats terribly relevant to the endgame experience.

2 Likes

I just rolled a Warlock and I just completed the starting zone. Warlocks need a huge nerf to their survivability. I haven’t died yet. This needs to be addressed immediately.

2 Likes

You’re right class trials are there to get you into the latest expansion right away.
The significance of level 40 is a left over from vanilla, by that level each class has their core mechanics set. This was necessary due to the challenges characters faced at 40. And if you look at the ability lists, it’s not a coincidence, level 40 wraps up the basic core of a class. It’s a leftover and it might fade away now that levels are being squished, but it’s still there…

Beyond 40 there’s lots of nice things like mastery, and higher talents, but the basic core mechanics of a class are set.

Is this really a big deal for you? I don’t really mind either way. I just wanted to hear from Warriors about warriors… but all I’ve gotten is don’t talk about it until 120. So I’m like… ok… I hear what you’re saying…

1 Like

Its not a thing anymore. Classes have the bones of their rotation at level 20. They still don’t play near enough the way they do at max level for any meaningful comparison.