Bottlenecked by 9700kf?

Recently got a EVGA 3090 XC3 Gaming edition for WoW and Escape from Tarkov. Both games appear to be getting bottlenecked pretty hard by my 9700kf which is OC’ed to 4.6 ghz.

I have an Asus Hero Crossfire VIII standing by till I can snag a ryzen 5950x and do a fresh windows install as well.

My 3090 brought my WoW fps about 15-20 percent from my 1080 ti. Is the 5950x, pcie 4.0 - X570 Crossfire VIII, and fresh install going to bump me up to 144 fps max setting in 1440p (minus MSAA, Raytracing, or resolution upscaling).

Just curious, because I know WoW and Tarkov are both CPU intensive and I feel my 8 core/8 thread 9700kf is showing its age now.

WoW isn’t CPU intensive. Just crappy optimization, or bottleneck on something else. My 5900X and RTX 3080 yawns at the game with world boss zerg at Level 10 @ 2560x1440. 27 FPS!

1 Like

Holy cow thats bad. I hear the 3000 series arent optimized yet for WoW, with report of 2000 series cards beating out 3090s/3080s easily.

This looks like it.

The wow engine itself could use more more optimizations , the GPUs will in time level out but they are still new and being targeted hard by scalpers and being given to popular streamers to test/benchmark/keep

I pretty much have the exact same CPU, OC 9700k and it runs through WoW like soft butter but if you are looking at getting to 1440p 144FPS avg the Ryzen 5600x or above will help get you there (assuming no upstream issues).
FYI, with Turbo Boost even your slowest cores will do 4.6ghz at default so it’s not really OC.

Yup. FPS sinks with many players fighting.

https://i.imgur.com/wHynU8o.jpg

This is 100% true!

I am on a RTX 2080 and my coworker is on a RTX 3080. He gets less FPS than me and worse 1% lows. Our Builds are identical except for our graphics cards. Even both our 10900k’s are overclocked the same to 5.2. Pisses him off. We are both at 1440p

Example
On the weekly boss he dips down to 30+ fps. While I am sitting 60+

Horrible.

But I am sure driver fixes are in order soon, hopefully before 9.1 or summer time.

There is also talk of NVIDIA releasing smart memory access drivers for their GPUs for up to 10 percent boost to performance. Currently only AMD GPUs have that to work with AMD CPU’s.

Currently though, this is pretty underwhelming due to the bad drivers.

Is it really worse? Did the shadows get fixed?

I’ve done some optimization on the game, I can max it out now at run at an average 90 fps in shadowlands in graphically intense areas in 1440p with no MSAA/Raytracing/Supersampling. Orginally, I was running on level 6-7 settings in 1440p on my 1080 Ti at around the same frame rate as I do on a 3090 RTX with the game maxxed out.

However, it is definitely being bottlenecked by my CPU and is not utilizing even half of my GPU (3090 has tons of VRAM to dip into). I imagine when I go to a 5950x with 3600 mhz DDR4 RAM and a PCIE 4.0 Crossfire VIII at the end of the month, I will be able to reach about 110-125 FPS on my current maxxed settings.

Still way too low given how powerful the hardware people are using is. They need to make this game as optimized as Overwatch is. I am slaying Overwatch with 180 fps on 1440p supersampled to 138%.

If I’m out questing on my 3080, 1440p max/FXAA High, I tend to be bouncing off vsyc or around 120-130fps. GPU usage tends to be around 40-75%.

Bumping up resolution scale to 150% (4k) + MSAAx8 will get me to nearly maxed out gpu usage, but then I get the flickering problem.

I am having the flickering problem as well now. Don’t know what is causing it.

1 Like

It was one of the patches. Didn’t happen at SL launch but at some point it started

Yeah, as of now I am running around 110 FPS. Apparently my 32 GB of RAM was downclocked from 3200 mhz to 2133hz.

With my new 64 GB of 3600 mhz ram with an AMD 5950x, I should easily get 144 with all settings maxed out.

This goes back to our discussion of Nvidia driver problems and as others on this thread are confirming. AMD drivers are providing better performance right now in Windoze (link below of similar older hardware). Linux + Nvidia was performing better the last I tested my 3070.

That’s a heavier scene than normal but large scale PVP is over 2X the stress on the scene you’re describing.

CPU/GPU scaling tests for shadowlands and older hardware:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMOKYDDt_D8

Nvidia has fixes already in Linux so I suspect Windows patches will come out soon enough to smooth things out.

Both of the PCs at Level 10 MSAA 4x , no RT shadows right? Thats my current setting. Just making sure the consistency with the settings. Gonna push it to Nvidia.

Yep. Both of us were on 8. All settings the same.

Thanks. Knocking Nvidia’s door with this thread.