Boosting nerfs & the impact on the levelling experience

becaus levels allowed to zone in, mob level range, quest level and actual optimal level to full clear are different from each other, way too spread apart, and haven’t been taken into account when implementing the changes. A simple balancing pass across classic dungeons shifting mob levels much closer to each other and shrinking allowed-to-zone-in and meeting stone level ranges would alleviate much of this issue, but its beyond Blizzard’s interest in the game.

there is no world wherein the anti-kiting measures should be in effect.

I dont honestly know how hard it’d be to implement, but it should just be a DR on roots / slows; it never should’ve been based off time in combat, but it should’ve been taking time the mob stays rooted into account. Sure, then solo farmers or boosters can just make sure they 100-0 the mobs within the DR duration, but that still removes a lot of less geared and unprepared from the pool.

1 Like

ohhh but they can. a level 70 blizz boost. welcome to northrend. oh you’re in wetlands content still, too bad. we just boosted half your potential groups, straight into northrend.

1 Like

I have actually been unable to properly run a single dungeon since the change. There is no way to form a group of people within the level range to not get penalized XP on my server.

Nothing kills the dungeon going experience like getting no experience at all and being unable to do them. Now the only purpose of dungeons is to have a high level run you through for the gear because it is a waste of time to do them at 90% reduced exp.

2 Likes

This has been blizzard since WOTLK live. They care more about money than gameplay now.

3 Likes

Listen to Xzzy! ^^ this is the future of all alts

So it’s interesting to me because this is precisely the kind of heated discussion my friends and I have been having this week about this change. On one hand, sure, if Blizzard intended to nerf solo mage levelling, this is an incredibly effective way to do so.

However from my PoV, there is not a single inkling of evidence suggesting that was the intended target of this nerf in the post announcing it: Adjustments to Dungeon Creature Behavior and Group XP - #3 by Drooler-grobbulus. The post specifically mentions (i) boosting; (ii) RMT; (iii) gold farming bots. It does not even allude to solo levelling.

While I’m new to Classic, all I’ve been told about the community is that they want “no changes”. I remember dinging 60 on my very first toon as a mage in Zul’Gurub over 15 years ago solo farming those mobs, after spending lots of time solo levelling in both ZF and Mara. That practice has continued unabated for years; why target it now? And without mentioning it?

If this was what Blizzard intended with these changes, all I’m asking is for some clarity on that.

4 Likes

The strategies that solo levelers use are the same as boosters in that scenario.

With WotLK around the corner, that comes with the ability to freeze exp. So a 47 mage could freeze their xp and offer ZF boosts, which will grant XP to the boostees.

1 Like

I have multiple accounts and quite honestly it’s so dead most of the time if I start a new alt… I just run myself through the low level dungeons. It’s not for the XP in the dungeon it’s for gear and/or quest xp/rewards.

I was actually doing this when the first post about the change started to appear. I guess I’ll have to make someone else to run throuh and try it again.

Anyway somewhere around the mid 40’s I just got bored with quests taking so long. The XP buff was on and I just pulled myself through all the quests as fast as possible. The character was still leveling so fast the quest would turn green before we left the area. The XP per kill was almost non existent but the quest xp was interesting I guess is how I’ll say it.

So yes if you are grinding mobs with someone X levels higher than you the xp per mob is crap. If you are doing quests and sailing through them… you should still be getting xp at quite a rate. Things for me don’t seem to feel like they slow down until you get into the 60’s. Then it’s like the quest xp doesn’t scale much off what you were getting in the 50’s yet the xp per level is quite a bit higher. If you’re alone with rested xp every 10 mobs or so you kill, is about the same as a quest turn in… in the TBC zones.

Yup, I got my new alt to 60. Just gonna park it until prepatch where the xp required from 60-70 is reduced by 30%, and my 100% mount speed gets reduced to 50g, and can also pick up flying.

3 Likes

Also, not that I have a horse in the RFD/no RFD race, but the current LFG tool is horrendous at updating character levels as well. This week alone I’ve been in two different PuG groups where the leader invited someone from it because it said they were one level and then they joined and they were actually 3 levels higher, and therefore would nerf the XP granted. Both were booted.

3 Likes

I’ve noticed that, but it seems to be less than consistent about bugging out. I’m really curious what triggers it, or what prevents it from updating.

Overall though, the lfg tool. Even the current one in TBC, works pretty well. As long as people are bothering to queue into it.

Right… but it’s also… significantly slower than doing it with a group at that rate? Like the whole schtick behind mage AoE dungeon levelling is that you don’t have to split the XP with anyone and you can spend 20 minutes doing 2-3 pulls then resetting. As soon as you halve that XP/hour because you’re splitting it, it becomes more effective to just run the dungeon normally, even with a learning group. Boosts by max-level characters, on the other hand, are incredibly fast–and pre-nerf–used to provide nearly unparalleled XP/hour.

Yeah, they may share elements of technique, but the ability of a level 48 mage to carry a level 42 boostee through ZF is significantly lower than that of a level 70 mage, which the max-level XP nerf does effectively target through these changes.

I always check the LFG tool first when inviting people. Have to help encourage the system <3

teleport to dungeon helps tremendously as it enables out-of-the-way dungeons to be cycled more often, which in turn gives people at fringe ends of the level range more options. If it were tuned to only make groups so that they cant trigger xp penalties through either level disparity or outleveling the mobs within, the tool would also solve these issues. Coupled with more people joining due to ease of access (plenty of people want to do dungeons but dont wanna start a group or filter through lfg spam to ask for an invite) and not being stuck with a given servers’ population, it’d go a long way towards making these scenarios much better.

3 Likes

most people who are signed up are also spamming LFG chat, so unless you specifically tell them where you invited them from they won’t know. Or care, since people who even check the tool are an oddity, not the standard.

I’ve been leveling a warlock recently, and have done every dungeon through using that tool. More people use it than you think.

Even last night, I signed up to do Ramparts after hitting level 60, and within 5 minutes had an invite.

People not using the tool are sleeping on it.

I feel like it’s implied. You whisper them “hey, wanna do X dungeon?” If that was in response to a “LFG X dungeon” chat, then the leading whisper seems unnecessary.

Rofl sleeping on a known failure that has never been good at its intended goal in the months it’s been out? Like people cant just right now check and see empty listings except for the odd tankless / healerless group here and there?

The tool failed to be adopted which is the main thing it needed to work. People would rather log out install LFG BB, log back in and filter LFG spam than just press I to use it. That they would jump over all those hurdles just to avoid it should inform you enough about how bad it is.

1 Like

I get what you mean, but equally this was an integral aspect of my Vanilla-WotLK experience. I only had a few friends when I started playing, and they would outlevel me a bit (or I them), and we’d help each other out with dungeon quests whenever we could. The tradeoff then––which I thought, and still do think is fair––is that if I was level 30 helping my level 26 friend in a BFD, I got reduced mob XP because many were grey and green to me. They––and the other party members–should not be penalized because I wanted to help my friend out. I should, but it’s the price I pay for helping him.

That being said, there are still numerous ways to tweak the way they’ve implemented the XP nerf, at least in the 1-60 range, to make it less onerous on groups. Tapering off XP gains if 1 player is 9+ levels higher for the other players by x% for every level thereafter would still be better than we have now, where it’s 100% - 0% XP for the other party members.

For example, my dungeon group just finished up with doing BRD jail AoE resets yesterday. Three of the mages were in the 53-55 range when we started. I was 57. At the beginning, there are a handful of level 47 mobs, even if the majority in that area are 49-53. As soon as I dinged 57, we left BRD and went to LBRS because they started getting 0 XP per kill of the level 47 mobs. Even if they had a 10-15% reduction when I hit 57, rather than all of sudden getting like 10 XP per mob, that would make me happier haha.

1 Like

Not really, he might get undeads pulled from a ledge up on the last part but its fine for the first 2/3s of the place. Which is why dungeon level ranges suck for classic instances atm.

1 Like

You may be right, the mobs adjusted levels from Vanilla iirc.