Boosting is literally Pay to win

Yea but I tried 3, his data was all wrong.

He may have boosted a bite

1 Like

From fresh boosted vs a naxx geared player 3-4 maybe depending on classes and such, but if your paying for multiple accounts you will have a hard time playing any of them well if your trying to win by numbers, especially considering the recent changes to multi boxing. So if it’s just one player trying to multi box, it’s going to take even more than listed above.

Also your trying to compare multiboxing (which is a pay to win) to boosting… your logic is very lacking and your grasping at straws.

Im not really comparing it to multiboxing. Im just saying if you are getting camped by a lvl 58 booster you could also buy a boost or 2 to help make the situation better for yourself. Even if you didnt have a guild/friends as an option.

“Or two”

It’s limited to 1 per account. You can’t even keep your own arguments within the know facts…

Awesome, does it give you raid gear, too?

There isnt any rule regarding the number of accounts either player could buy so a boost is pretty fair for both parties.

1 Like

Maybe your friends are really busy or not online at the moment and you just want to be able to fight back against this boosted rogue and even the odds. Boom! lvl 58 boosted hunter to the rescue!

I havent heard what gear the lvl 58 boost entails. Not sure if blizzard has settled on anything yet. Some more info on this would be welcomed.

It’s not going to be anything that isn’t replaced within hours of questing in Outlands.

Lol, that was my point, too. What are you winning when you don’t start out any better than anyone else? Boosting a new character doesn’t solidify anyone’s raid spot. The endgame still needs to be reached, let alone played in order to win. I won’t be boosting any character, but it doesn’t put me at anymore of a disadvantage than someone with way more time than I have to play.

The deep dive at 24:03 is where they discuss boosts. They mention mount, riding skill and dungeon blues.

The sad fact is that World of Warcraft has been “pay to win” (I.E. paying real world currency for an in-game benefit) since the introduction of the WoW token. For what amounts to a few hours of work in the real world, you can pay to obtain gold amounts that you simply could not farm in the same amount of time actually playing the game. This encourages people to spend less time playing the game as their time can be better spent earning real world currency to purchase more in benefits than what they could actually accrue in that same amount of time in game.

It is a real shame that Blizzard chose to try to get a cut in on gold buying and selling rather than combat it as other MMORPGs do with some vigilance and bans. I know that no system is perfect and that actually policing your servers and banning people could be looked at as a revenue loss. But I still think it is a better system than throwing your hands up in resignation and instead attempting to make a profit off of the very system that is compromising your game.

It was one of the original draws to me for WoW Classic. Originally there was no way (other than violating the ToS by buying gold online) for you to gain an advantage in the game other than to actually play the game. But Blizzard, like many game companies these days, actually prefer their whales to their “old school” RPG players.

Deep pockets and all… :wink:

Thanks.

2 Likes

If we’re skipping 1-58 then I agree. Let’s skip 58-70 too. I don’t want to waste time leveling those last 12 levels if we can just swipe.

What are they winning?

Ah, another literalist…

The term, “pay to win” is actually used in the gaming community (usually MMOs or Massively Multiplayer Online games) to refer to a situation where companies allow you to buy items and/or advantages with real money. In the specific instance of the WoW token, people are “winning” gold purchased with real world currency that can be earned in a shorter amount of real world time than could be earned with the same amount of time and effort spent in the game itself. It (and other “pay to win” mechanisms) are referred to as such as they promote more time spent out of game to obtain a larger benefit than could be earned actually playing the game.

Does that help? :smiley:

Thanks.

4 Likes

I feel like people really haven’t explained what is won by being level 58 in tbc?

What is won?

I couldn’t agree with you more Ratlord. I hated it when they first implemented it in later xpacs, then the next step was the WoW tokens for gold. People now do not want to actually play the game, they just want everything handed to them through a microtransaction so that they’ll have a bigger epeen than you.

Paying to not have to spend 6-15 days of game time leveling your toon is the literal definition of pay to win. Sure, you aren’t level 70 yet, but you are about 82.86% of the way there. Now you can actually generate gold and farm higher value items etc if you wanted. I’d like to see how successfully you would be doing that at level 1.

2 Likes

Ah, another literalist…

Please see the post above yours for an explanation of the term, “pay to win” as it relates to games, particularly MMORPGs.

For the level 58 boost, the “win” is obtaining an advantage (being level 58) buy paying for a service using real world money that you can obtain in a shorter amount of time than what it would actually take for you to obtain that level by actually playing the game. It promotes a way to gain something for money that could not be obtained by spending the same amount of time in game.

Does that help? :slight_smile:

Thanks.

4 Likes

It’s not free