Boosting is literally Pay to win

To my knowledge, they’ve never defended a paid character boost by saying that the content starts at the specific level achieved by purchasing it. Thereby implying that this iteration of the game does not include the 1-58 leveling process or content.

I’m not convinced they will, but there’s only two things that have ever forced Blizzard’s hand. Universal outrage and mass demand. I’m simply offering an alternative solution that might appeal to both sides of this argument because we know where Blizzard stands. Any opportunity to monetize any aspect of the game is just good business.

It’s literally what all retail boosts were for with new xpacs.

The “free” boost you for for buying the xpac brought a room up to the current level to go first into that new xpac.

It has been this way for years.

Even the paid boosts in retail bring you up to the previous xpacs max level allowing you to jump directly into the newest xpac.

Sure are a lot of discussions open at the same time about this.

While I’m not huge on the idea of boosts and most likely won’t utilize it, I can see the appeal. Especially if their class wasn’t “desirable” in classic or felt they may be pigeon holed into a certain spec they didn’t want to play or if they plain just weren’t interested in classic but were for TBC. This kinda feels more like gate keeping, but understandable.

There’s much worse that the game has faced that made many people quit classic. tons left during Phase 2 , Servers now have tons of dungeon boosts that it’s hard to find legit parties now while leveling(seemed slightly better on PVE), world buff meta, people not allowing others to join if they aren’t the right spec, etc.

Boosts and drums are only the start for this xpac. Who knows what other dumb decision they will make. Some may defend the drums and that it’s ok to leave it there and let meta min/maxers deal with it, im not sure why anyone would want to keep it in as is though.

What I’d personally want is make it to where if a player is , maybe 5-10 levels over the dungeon everyone else doesn’t get xp. I dislike dungeon boosters and it as a service much more than paid boosting. Especially since it floods LFG chat with people wanting SM/DMT/Mara boosts then people just skipping over certain level brackets and only really doing dungeons at 52+. Makes it much more desirable and affordable than a boost, which most will think twice before getting plus only 1 per account. So I rarely ever see anyone looking for a legit party. I’m not looking forward to the same being done with prot paladins.

Maybe they could make more restrictions on boosts like requiring something from your main account as in it has to be 2-6 months old to qualify for the boost. If it’s really targeted for the “people who just want to be ready to play with friends” if their account isn’t at least 2-6 months old, shouldn’t really need a boost anyways. Maybe make it tied to the CE and only once per Bnet not just per service account? Also, make it to where it’s only at the START of the xpac until P2. These are just ideas I guess. Or just not have paid boosts, whichever.

However, I doubt they will do any changes to the boost that we would be ok with and won’t listen to us either way. High chance we will just get boosts “unlimited” by Phase 3 because that’s just how blizzard is. Loves to ruin it.

But Classic hasn’t been marketed as an expansion. It’s advertised as a stand alone IP. And the argument that’s being used to defend the boost implies that Classic TBC is intended to recreated the 58-70 experience. And if Kaivax’s sentiments are shared by the rest of the dev team then making players pay for the boost is a contradiction at best and at worst a blatant pay wall.

It’s only a paywall if everyone has to buy the damn thing to progress. No one has to buy it. As far as a “contradiction,” I’m not sure what’s being contradicted here.

Calm down Cauchy. Deep breathes.

It’s a pay wall if Blizzard considers, their words not mine, Classic TBC 58-70 content only. Nobody ever said there wasn’t ways around it. But for any of those people that Blizzard themselves said didn’t have the desire to level in Classic zones or just want to jump in and play with their friends, the cost of the boost is literally a pay wall.

The contradiction is that the game is marketed as free to play, but it’s not. You have to pay for a boost or you’re stuck playing a totally different version of the game first. Because as Kaivax, a representative of Blizzard, has stated:

Classic is clearly not part of Classic TBC.

You’re adding the word “only.” That’s a pretty specific quantifier that completely changes what’s written by them.

The game requires a subscription… it’s not marketed as “free to play.” It’s offered at no extra cost, but not free.

Perhaps, if you add the word “only.”

It’s clearly the intended content range they’re targeting and using as their defense of the boost.

Ok, it’s offered at no extra cost except the cost of the boost. I mean honestly, you aren’t really making any counterpoints. Do you even disagree that boost should be free for everyone or are you just here as some kind of contrarian fact checker?

If it was a standalone IP, we shouldn’t be allowed to transfer our 60s to the tbc classic servers then. Technically, any 60 currently in t3 gear is in fact “pay 2 win” because players have been paying months to obtain the gear and take it over to tbc. Why should anybody be allowed to do this in a stand alone ip? I say every character currently existing stays in wow classic and people who truly want to play tbc classic have to level fresh from level 1, without any gold that they’ve hoarded from illegitimate gdkps.

This is a different statement, and one I’d agree with.

If you’re going to be making false statements, no counterpoints are needed. If you want to make a point, it’s quite simple… use true statements.

In the end, people are making a mountain out of a molehill. The boost is coming. Some people will use it. Some won’t. It might give us a larger pool of other people to play with, though I think the increase in actual players will be small (I think most will use it as a chance to re-roll or a toon to level another profession on.)

It’s branded as a stand alone IP. Not saying it should be. And bringing a level 60 wouldn’t be considered P2W because you’re not using any actual form of currency to have access to your character on the CTBC servers. When it comes to GDKPs, I’m stuck between not wanting to make broad assumptions and innocent until proven guilty.

Nah, definitely paying each month the classic servers exist to have an advantage over anyone who isn’t playing until tbc classic. Tbc should be completely pure from any of those advantages. We should have fresh, and those truly dedicated to wanting tbc classic will start over.

Honestly, what I had hoped Blizzard would do was to have fresh TBC servers but give 1 free 58 boost. Release fresh servers in the pre-ptach state for a month or two, that will also give the Blood Elves and Dranei time to play catch up, and give everyone else some time to play catch up on professions and an epic mount.

1 Like

I’d say it’s more of an incorrect statement than a false one. Your use of the word false seems to connote some sort of ill intent on my part. I’m not trying to pull the wool over your eyes. I also have a suspicion you knew what I meant.

You weren’t required to start fresh when TBC released. The vast majority of players rolling into the expansion did so on level 60 characters. Being forced to level from 1 is in no way keeping to the original experience. No offense, but I’m not sure if I should even be taking you seriously.

The vast majority of players rolling into the TBC expansion also did so with maybe a few hundred gold, not a few hundred thousand gold spread out across multiple characters. But that’s another story, I guess. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Actually, I try not to assume what people mean. It’s really on them to clearly communicate what they mean. Intention has nothing to do with this, and for what it’s worth, I have no intentions of malice here, either. If you’re going to try to prove something, you need facts, and they need to align with what you’re trying to prove. Things are true, or they’re false. Misleading or lying would be the terms I’d use if I were assuming intention.

Far too much of this debate has been levied on assumptions, conjecture, paranoia and emotion.

1 Like

People have had 15yrs on Pservers to find the most efficient gold farms and ways to manipulate the economy. They’re going to do it in CTBC just like they did in Classic. It’ll just take a few more weeks on fresh servers.

1 Like

I agree. But I don’t believe that means Blizzard shouldn’t at least attempt to stabilize the economy of their game and help reduce a player’s temptation to buy from bots/gold sellers in a meta that demands players have thousands and thousands of gold. You mentioned that you wanted as close to an authentic experience as possible, and I think the economy plays a pretty big role in that.

But you’re saying it’s its own thing, so we shouldn’t include anything obtained from classic vanilla and just have everybody start fresh.

No offense taken, you definitely shouldn’t be taking me seriously.

2 Likes