Boosted toon and forced to "learn" it all over

So I was playing my hunter who i have played for a long time, he wasn’t max level but was 90 pre patch, after squish he went to 35. Anyway, i went to Deepholm for funsies and for the first time ever I saw Aeonaxx!! but he was equal level to me and of course stomped me, so i logged out and figured it was a great time to boost him and try again…ya that didn’t happen. I know I’m probably missing something here, but why was I transported out of Deepholm to Ice crown and forced to “learn” how to play my hunter again exactly? And on top of that when i tried going back to deepholm it took me to a different server one and no more Aeonaxx. I have 1 other toon (mage) that gets taken to the Aeonaxx populated one but none of my higher levels do. extremely frustrating to be forced into that when you have days and days of played time on a character, I’d never boosted one of my OG toons before, but had boosted a brand new one so the learning thing made sense for that. IDK just frustrating to lose out on that and waste a toon boost at the same time.