Bob Dylan Documentary on Netflix reminds me of

how so many WOW fans get so angry at the game. When you love a game, and then there is a new direction, and you didn’t sign up for that.

Bob Dylan had a personal message in his music that many loved, then suddenly he would do the second half of his concerts playing rock and roll instead of folk and about 1/3 of his fans, probably the most ardent, just went nuts on him. Charging the stage and booing.

Personally, I think the change was good. Not a huge Dylan fan, but WoW, he really did impact the world.

This was moved to movies and entertainment, but it isn’t even about the Bob Dylan documentary. This post is about how angry people get when something they love changes. And it makes zero sense to me, because things should change. Hopefully changes are improvements.

1 Like

This is a problem many artists face. Inevitably an artist, musician in this case, will develop faster than their audience, or in a different direction. Many casual music listeners are hoping for a more of the same album or work, whereas the artist is sick of the old and wants to explore fresh territory.

It’s a risk as the audience won’t necessarily follow and there are plenty of instances of artists taking a big hit for daring to depart from the well trodden path of their earlier work.

1 Like