Boat from boralus to stormwind

bit of backstory, just did a faction change from horde to alliance, received 2 quests to go see the king in stormwind. one was to attend war council, one was to introduce wrathion. Did the wrathion quest but couldnt turn in the war council, npc’s werent there.
I left, followed the quest arrow took the portal to Uldum and flew to silithus to go to chamber of heart. outisde the heart there was no portal to boralus. so, i flew to Darkshore, which is currently alliance controlled and took the portal that is there to Boralus. I still hadnt done introduction quests to Boralus so there was no portals from there, so i caught the boat from boralus to stormwind.
the boat deposited me inside the cave at the entrance to Alterac Valley in Hillsbrad Foothills.
TL:DR - faction changed, portal from darkshore to boralus is avail before intro to boralus quest, then boat from boralus to stormwind sent me to hillsbrad.

Probably would be helpful to mention which character you were on to do these quest.

This bug has been around for a while (At least since 8.2? ). Faction change has nothing to do with it.

often helps to give as much info as possible for bug reports, good to know its been reported

This bug happened to me today. Non boosted level 50 character taking boat from Boralus to SW. Upon arrival my character appeared outside of AV portal entrance in hillsbrad… Apparently its still not fixed.