BM Petssss

Which pet is better per healing, the self heal from spirit beast on a 30 sec cd or the leech from the ferocity pet? Mind you, we are talking exclusively in a raid context, not pvp or m+.

Ty.

I think overall, ferocity will heal you more if using mend pet and AC as BM. Leech will also make sure your exhilaration heals you a lot more since you’re also healing both pets by 100% of their health. Spirit Beast however will offer a better on demand heal + damage reduction.

Overall, it’s not a huge difference. Spirit Beast is generally easier to take advantage of since you won’t have to worry about mend pet really.

Edit: On demand heal is also valued more than what amounts to a HoT with mend pet since it gives you some healing faster. In an environment where you should be getting heals anyway from healers (raiding), it’s usually more effective since you can also use it to reduce damage during heavy raid damage moments.

1 Like

I feel like spirit beast is better for group play. Unless things go bad, tanks should be doing their thing and healers theirs. Your pets shouldn’t be taking much damage (if any) and most small damage should get picked up through aoe heals. I recommend spirit beasts because between the extra defensive (20% less damage for 8? second) and the small heal are good for trouble spikes.

Although in some situations, like with unavoidable dots, the extra leach is probably better and ferocity should be your go-to pet.

1 Like

On heroic soul render I help handle the chains which leave the permanent dot on me for the fight. My clefthooves are great for that, keep mend pet up and help mitigate the damage with what amounts to a small hot on myself at least.

1 Like

Sporebat is always best

3 Likes

I saw a breakdown of the difference between the spirit beast heal and ferocity pet leech a while back. It seemed to indicate that it depends on how much damage you’re kicking out. Not sure if that’s still the case, but my personal experience is that Leech heals for significantly more than Spirit Mend in the long run. It’s become something of a joke that I’m usually second highest heals in M+ just from Leech.

Spirit Mend got nerfed into the ground. It’s pretty bad and I never run Spirit Beasts unless it’s for the 20% damage reduction CD.

You can also cheese the Ferocity leech with Mend Pet and other damage increases. If you put Mend Pet up when your pet is at 100% health, the leech portion from the overhealing heals you although it’s very minimal healing.

The only downside about leech for BM hunters is the pet’s damage doesn’t heal the hunter, which is where the majority of their damage comes from. So it’s only like Cobra Shot and Barbed Shot healing you via leech if you’re not cheesing it with Mend Pet.

edit: Exhilaration also scales with leech. It’s basically a Lay on Hands with a Ferocity pet out.

All this is very interesting. I do like the 20% reduction, however, I wonder if there is a pet with the reduction and the leech, not the heal.

I suppose one could macro in mend pet with, say, bestial wrath. You wouldn’t want it in your normal rotational spells bc that would ultimately be a dps loss. But with how barbed shot reduces the cd of BW, mend pet would be used 5-10 times during a boss fight, depending on fight length. That would, at least, squeeze out some additional healing without affecting your rotation and dps output.

Mend Pet and BW are both on the GCD. The can’t really easily macro it as far as I’m aware and also avoid a DPS loss. You need to take advantage of moments where you might have some down time due to not wanting to use CS due to focus reasons / wanting to save KC next due to focus, etc.

If you macro mend pet in a way so it always uses it after using a certain spell, you’re almost certainly going to hurt your DPS.

1 Like

I find survival of the fittest can actually save me from faceplanting. The leech… not so much. I like having a another minor ‘Oh $&*$’ button for when circumstances overcome your planning (or you have been raid drinking and you just screw the pooch).

1 Like

Unless I am mistaken the damage you deal (like literally you) heals yourself but not your pet. Likewise the damage your pet deals that doesn’t stem from you completely (IE stomp, KC, claw/bite/smash) doesn’t heal you. Therefore I almost always go spirit beast. The small DR every 3m can be big enough and the throughput and spot healing from SMend is honestly about as good as leech even with the final tier talent.

What your missing is that the 12 sec cd pet heal heals ME for 1k a tick at 15% leech which is what ferocity gives you. So in a clinch youve got a 1k ticking heal going on you.

Tenacity pets are usually good for progressing content for “Survival of the Fittest” and the increased maximum HP you get from having said pet out. Using Survival of the Fittest is generally something you can use when you have a “healer” mechanic on you like a heavy DoT that is meant to be healed though like on tarragrue or the chains on Painsmith that will chew though most mail users unless a healer is actively on them. It is also an effective backup when raid wide damage is going out but you raid lacks a CD like Rally or AMZ to dampen the damage.

The Healing from a Spirit beast is fairly negligible but in some cases can negate effects like Grievous Wounds which get removed with any direct heal. Bare in mind that there are some bugs with the new Grievous Wounds were direct heals seem to not remove a stack.

Over all leech can provide some consistent healing which will over all look larger but will do nothing to save you in those situations were it may matter the most. If you are on a fight were there is some sort of consistent ticking raid wide damage you may want to consider Leech if there is no mechanic that you might need SotF to live though.

Yea, all this makes good sense, however, as my guild was progressing on heroic nine yesterday, I found a slight issue:

There was multiple times, especially when having fragments, that I was out of range of the pet heal. With this issue, might the leech be better?

Hi. I recently tamed a Scalehide, on my first visit to Korthia.
It is a Ferocity pet, and also has a special ability, Scale Shield.
Tip reads: The Scalehide hardens it’s skin, reducing damage taken by 50% for 12 seconds. One minute cool-down.
Being a Ferocity Pet, It also has the Leech effect, as well as Primal Rage.

1 Like

Currently I am farming Torghast on 3 characters and funneling the Soul Ash to one to help with catch up Leggo’s. On my Hunter I just use a Clefthoof and spec into Killer Instinct instead of Animal Companion.

I can speed run an 8 in ~20 minutes at 220 ilvl. Anything over a 10 I try to find a group and then the pet issue becomes moot.

Thanks! But I meant the damage reduction spell that spirit beasts provide, not the damage reduction the pet receives. :slight_smile:

That reminds me, I can now funnel soul ash, lol ty!

I had the 2 hander from the new raid drop so I went surv for the first half of a torgast run and I’ll never do that again. It’s worse than mm by a large amount.

However, I’ve been running 11s at a 228 ilvl and it does take alot of time. However, using mend pet on cd, using empowered wisely, and misd surely keeps me alive. I’ve learned to pop turtle and rez pet lol. I might macro the two into one button for more streamlined use. The best pet I’ve found so far is core hound. They have the damage reduction shield plus they have the fire shield that does extra damage.

Ahh… No, the Scale hide doesn’t share the damage reduction. I misunderstood.
MM can’t use a Spirit Beast , nor any exotic, by that I shoulda known you-all weren’t really talking about MM, I guess.
As a MM, I used to run with a Tenacity pet all the time, but anymore, I mostly just run with my wolf, the difference doesn’t seem worth bothering with, since I can’t run with the pet I want. I do macro Mend Pet in with Misdirect, when I misdirect to my pet. I have to watch my pet’s health closer than I used to. Np. I do miss my pig, a black boar I tamed in Elwynn forest, Tanking for me as a Tenacity pet. Now days, he is a “cunning” pet…