Blzbntagt00000840

Have tried several times to get the update to work, but it keeps popping up with this before it can even start. Tried closing the launcher and reopening, nothing. Tried scanning files for corruption, nothing was wrong. I have never had this issue before in the years I’ve played. What gives?

HI I am having the same problem not getting anything from support

1 Like

Hi Folks

Try this:

Close launcher - right click on Taskbar then Task Manager. Look for any running Blizzard or Wow processes. In particular look for Wow Voice Proxy. Highlight them then click End Task .

Afterwards restart computer then try BNet launcher again.

You may need to click “More Details” on the Task Manager to see the complete list of running processes

5 Likes

That was it! Thank you so much!

Good to see

Not sure why you would bother going through the process of ending tasks when you’re just going to recommend restarting the computer. Both are not required. Ending the tasks and then restarting is redundant. If someone is comfortable just ending the tasks (3 of them, Battle net launcher, Blizzard Update service, and the WoW Voice Proxy) then just restarting the launcher works. Didn’t test to see which one was the problem, just ending those 3 tasks worked. Otherwise, if they’re not comfortable tinkering around in task manager restarting works too.

For some odd reason the VoiceProxy will not end with a restart on some systems.

1 Like

If someone is doing a restart then voice is ending. Kinda hard for it to be running when the system shuts down and reboots. It may be starting back up again, in which case if that was the problem it would continue to be a problem after a restart. In fact, if that was the problem, manually stopping it in task manager and then rebooting would not fix the problem because voice would start back up again anyways for some people resulting in needing to manually stop it via task manager a second time and then update without a reboot.

In the end no matter. I’m not trying to get in a pissing contest about this. If someone has a problem and they are comfortable ending things in task manager they do not need to reboot in addition to that. Simply re-launch the Battle Net launcher and the issue should be resolved. If they aren’t comfortable with that, reboot and see if it fixes it. On the off chance that it doesn’t, they will need to manually end the tasks and restart the launcher without rebooting anyways or it will just start back up.

Ending tasks in the task manager poses no risks - nothing that a restart wouldn’t cure if you shutdown the wrong process. Basically I find on the forum here it is best to give the full meal deal then be done with it.

Anyhow it looks like that evil Voice Proxy is up to no good once again. Should be an option to turn that off on the launcher is my opinion.

Yeah, I mean, I see what they’re intending with voice chat options in game but I will never use them. And to be frank I had no idea that they had a service running in the background for it. In the past I went into parental controls and disabled voice chat because it kept spamming me in Heroes. At some point I changed it back. I’ll have to find a way to block the damn thing from running. I absolutely hate when programs run things automatically no matter how trivial of a load it causes.

There have been a few threads on here - we are not alone with the dislike. I think you can disable it in Parental Controls. Now I’m not sure it actually shuts the process down - let me know what you find.

I’ve been having this error with every patch, big or small, for a couple months. In the past a reboot was the only possible way around it.

However, ending the voice proxy through task manager solved this as suggested. No need to reboot as Nyl stated too. Once it’s shut down, restart bnet as admin (to be safe) and click Update. Worked like a charm.

So I re-disabled voice entirely in parental controls. I still have the voice icons in the launcher. I use some addons in game so I don’t see the icons there anyways. But the voice proxy has not relaunched and doesn’t seem to relaunch even if I try to click on the voice buttons. I tested with a friend who was logged in to see if she was getting the popup about me trying to join a bnet voice channel with her. I logged out of bnet and back in to be sure the parental control updates applied. All said that seems to completely shut down the service.

Ahh - good to know - thanks

It’s the Voice Proxy specifically causing the issue. I just got the error myself and figured it was a process that didn’t end and sure enough Voice Proxy was in there. That was the only one I ended, and it updated immediately afterward.

As Tratt said however, there are rare occasions in which the Voice Proxy service will not end even with killing the process, at which point restarting the computer will be the quickest way to resolve it. Personally I would suggest trying after killing the Voice Proxy process and restarting if it fails, but either way should work.

Also just to clarify for anyone who might read this and wonder why this is an issue, the error has to do with files being in use which prevents the update from going through, as trying to make changes to something while another process is using it could lead to data corruption and other issues. This update is specifically for WoW, not the Launcher, which is why you should only need to end the Voice Proxy service and not the Launcher or Update Service - an update to WoW should not need to access either of those files.

This was very helpful to me today personally. Thank you for your post.

The reason for this is “Windows 10 fast startup” usually. Windows 10 has a new function where shutdowns function more like going to “Sleep” than a true restart. When you come back from the shut down, it’s like your PC woke up from sleep mode and some services/programs will still be active. If WoWVoiceProxy is getting stuck open, it’ll be one of them. Because of this, it’s best to manually terminate the process in task manager if it’s still there after a shutdown or do a restart. If you want to avoid the restart, you can try killing it manually if it fails.

Edited: Previously this had erroneous information about windows restarts being impacted by fast startup - this applies only to shutdowns, and a restart should clear all background processes. The post has been corrected.

Thanks for the explanation Drakuloth. I have fast startup disabled - isn’t a good thing for overclocking.

A post was split to a new topic: BLZBNTAGT00000840 Error