Blood stacking crit for the tier set

Has anyone done testing/braining storming with respects to stacking crit/vers for our new tier set?

I’m hoping it is really strong and that parries will lash out with a heart strike outside of DRW.

I’m pretty sure that’s only during DRW, which greatly devalues the stat.

It is my understanding that as usual crit is BDKs strongest offensive stat and one or our weakest defensively. Getting dodges and parries on tank buster in M+ is amazing but wildly inconsistent outside of DRW. With that in mind I will go out on a limb and say this set bonus will be spectacular when coupled with Chrismon Rune Weapon in M+. When it come to there raid it is very unlikely most boss will have you tanking frequently enough to get good value from CRW over other options like Superstrain or even Gorefiend’s Domination IF the freeHeart Strikes contribute to the Vampiric Blood CD reduction.

With how bad Blizzard can be at preliminary wording I think that is a fair assumption but still we won’t know until the sets are live for testing. As it stands the 4 set reads " Parrying an attack causes your weapon to lash out, Heart Striking your attacker. (note the period) Dancing Rune Weapon now summons 2 Rune Weapons." So as it reads now, it means any parry we are lucky enough to get. It is entirely possible this wording is not indicative of how it will actually be implemented. I also assume that the 2 piece will have some sort of stack limit with how it reads. “Heart Strike increases your Strength by 1% and the duration of Dancing Rune Weapon by 0.5 seconds, persisting for 10 seconds after Dancing Rune Weapon ends.” If this were unlimited over its duration it would be rather ridiculous especially given the buff persists shortly after. Again we will haft to wait and see.

Other things that will come in to consideration when looking at how BDK will gear will be if these free auto Heart Strikes generate RP or not. Will they benefit from Heartbreaker? Do the free auto Heart Strikes from the 2 piece give us stacks for the 4 piece?

We will be able to test this stuff once they get the sets on PTR but who knows when the sets will be up for testing. It is very possible they will iterate upon the data mined sets before they even go live for public testing.

Stat weights between Haste/Crit/Vers in terms of DPS are so insignificant that you could drop all of your versatility to crit, and gain under 300DPS.

There is no situation where you will not prefer to stack Versatility, just because it does significantly more in terms of defensive posture than Crit does. The only question surrounds how long the extension is capped and if the free HS generates RP and is cleaved by the two rune weapons, procs Kyian/NF legendary. It might overtake haste as the secondary stat we prefer, but depending on tuning the odds are we’re just going to be walking into next patch wanting to stack Vers and then not caring if the other secondary stats are either crit or haste.

2 Likes

It is also probably worth stating that there is a ton of stuff in the game nowadays that we can’t dodge or parry namely in raids.
In that respect it is like comparing a stat that is 100% effective in every situation to a stat that is effective 50% of the time.
Not only dose vers make us take less damage from the boss directly but other raid wide damage or soak damage is also reduced, It is the main reason why when a tank can assist with group soak mechanics they should.

The comparison is master/haste vs crit. Vers is far too strong for tanks especially blood.

As it stand the auto Heart Strike is in fact whenever you parry not just during DRW. The downsides is that it dose NOT generate RP as if you spent a rune HOWEVER it dose interacts with Heartbreaker. Targets hit by the auto HS will yield bonus RP from Heartbreaker per target hit. The auto HS also interacts with Death and Decay meaning it will hit 5 targets instead of 2 if it is active during a parry. Pulling a large amount of mobs that all melee can cause you to rapidly generate a large amount of RP passively and quickly seeing as Parrying has no kind of ICD.

Based on how it works I am going to go out on a limb and say this is a bug or oversight. I kind of doubt it will cause use to take Heartbreaker over Blooddrinker in raid unless there are fights with multiple bosses that we can constantly tank or a frequent amount of stacked adds. If there is a fight where we are constantly tanking a combo of Chrismon Rune weapon and Heartbreaker might be a solid choice.

Amazing!

Paladin’s seem to be getting adjustments to their auto proc judgment on block ICD so I am guessing we’ll get the same but still! Huge damage gain for blood in 9.2.

I mostly m+ on this lady, so I look forward to see how much crit/parry we need to being getting our heartstrike proc to happen every ICD.

So it doesnt generate RP (which I dont know why people would think that seen how HB while having a Rime proc doesnt give RP like it used to and you need a legendary for that to happen) but it does generate RP on secondary targets. Makes sense to me since the secondary targets would be generating their own RP and not increasing the RP that spending your rune would provide.

It doesnt seem like its a bug or an oversight, its working how heart strike works without spending a rune.

Judgement does a lot more for Paladin than Heart Strike does for DK. Heart strike does some damage and generates RP, thats pretty much it. Judgement on the other hand increases Shield of the Righteous damage and generates HP (guessing it would generate HP based on how holy power works). It just works too well with the Shield of the Righteous build that looks like can get what… 20-30k dps in aoe and i think a prot pally from Limit was getting 7k dps st? in Sanctum of Domination when dps specs were getting like 9k.

I read this as the bonus RP generated from HS on main and secondary targets happens it’s just not the 10 RP from spending a rune. Which makes sense because you’re not spending a rune.

Yeah, it’s the same thing but tuned a lot stronger. Hopefully, ours is strong because we’re already behind on damage compared to other tanks.

1 Like

So based on about I think I did like a couple hours of testing it is sort of going to boil down to what your pulling. When it comes to several of the more deadly packs that include casters or enemies that auto attack slower we will probably find the set almost non existent. For Example Necrotic Wake has a fairly heavy caster mob count with Larger melee enemies to compensate. Unless you are doing some of those pulls with a ton of the soldiers and blight bags the set will be drastically less effective, on the other hand doing say the Ardenweald wing of DoS you will do big pulls and just start destroying because most enemies there melee pretty fast giving you more chances for a single parry.

I still think in general Haste is going to have a bit more value then Crit partially because we will be extending the duration of CRW with the 2set and partially because we are also likely to hit diminishing for one or two secondary stats in 9.2. Obviously it is up to you how you choose to build your character. As long as you have vers and have a decent item level for the content your doing you should be fine.

I also think it is worth saying with this set bonus plus Chrismon Rune Weapon we will be able to do some crazy things in M+ that is assuming they fix some of the bugs people have encounters when pairing them.

And stacking crit will be pointless if the 4pc gives you 2 DRW for 80% more parry.

Some how I missed this reply. Ya so similar to Legion when Maw of the Damned summoned an extra dancing rune weapon it dose not double up on the parry but it will mirror several of your casts like Blood Boil, Marrowrend, Heart Strike, and Death Strike. This lets you put a third blood plague on all targets in range of the 3 Blood Boils and gives you even more Bone Shield charges from Marrowrend.

I believe Heart Strikes also generates and extra 5 bonus RP during dancing Rune weapon (Listed on the tooltip) but not additional from Heartbeaker. If that is true with an extra weapon you would get I believe 27 RP per cast Heart Strike during DRW.
As for having two DRW and getting auto heart strikes I believe it gives you the bonus RP for each weapon. So you will get 10 RP at base then if you have Heartbeaker another 2.

So based on the current PTR this is how it works:

• Auto HS from DRW will give you a bonus 5 RP but auto HS from your character will not regardless of if DRW is up or not. This means during DRW auto HS will give you 10 extra RP, without it will give you non (not accounting for the talent Heartbeaker).

• Heartbeaker only generates its RP per target hit by any HS (cast or auto). If you have DRW up you still still only get 2 bonus RP per target hit. (this is likely done to not cause a snowball value for this talent when equipping the set bonus)

This is still all PTR and is subject to change. Blizzard also made a post about all the DK set bonuses and we will be getting the suspected ICD increase similar to Prot Paladins. Apparently they intent is for our auto HS procs to give us everything a normal Heart Strike would. It is unclear if that means at this stage considering how it is currently working.

Regardless the set is sure to be powerful every where you use it even if they remove some of the current RP generation.

1 Like