Blood elves were cooler back in the day

I don’t know, enslaving a Naaru seems pretty sinister to me. We must have different standards for sinister.

3 Likes

Ehh they left cause they said i was just making it up.

Just playing a blood elf Paladin in wotlk classic and you can see they were sinister asf

2 Likes

TBC see was a little quick to “redeem” and tame down the wild new cutthroat pragmatism that the Blood Elves had. It went too far, and honestly too fast.

The Blood Elves post The Burning Crusade became the moderate voice within The Horde practically overnight and enjoyed a very warm relationship with the Draenei that’s seen later on in Warlords of Dreanor.

If that path towards Light had to be their story-arc it could have been spread out over a much longer period. I can’t imagine the blood elves “settling down” before Arthas was brought to justice. Something they had almost no involvement at all with.

1 Like

I’m okay with being a Barbie honestly, Horde needed a super pretty race and we fill that role nicely due to being the High Elf race. :dracthyr_heart: :dracthyr_heart: :dracthyr_heart:

3 Likes

Blizzard disagrees. They used blue and purple for arcane even in WC3 reforged.

2 Likes

It does make sense for Priests. I don’t think I personally want more purple eyes. But void elves should get more eyes for voidy stuff. As far as green eyes, Fenelon is way ahead of this:

Take a peak at their thread here

Maybe they need more class related eyes like DKs get. DKs too need more eye options. I could see green emitting eyes for Warlocks. I want some kind of red eyes for Warrior rage.

3 Likes

It was pretty clear that the original plan was to have them be a bit edgier but large swaths of the community just refused to engage with what they were writing, stuck their heads in the sand and said “NONO ELF PRETTIER HUMAN FRIEND TO MAN AND DORF”.

I mean, the elves that refused to become blood elves that sustained themselves through their wealth and looked down on the dishonor of their people were clearly a nod to some of the worst aristocratic peoples to ever exist(let them eat mana gems!), and people somehow thought that was supposed to show them as loyal and good.

I’m typically very critical of the WoW writing of late, but in this case I can’t blame them for giving up on what the elves were and just making them generic fantasy elves.

2 Likes

I definitely think class specific customizations would be the way to go. DK eyes should be specific to specialization. Green for unholy, red for blood, Standard blue for frost.
Warlocks i’d like to see get more Fel corruption visuals. Green eyes, Felblood elf skin tones, and so on.
Technically since the lich king no longer controls deathknights, or the scourge, i don’t think there’s any valid reasoning for deathknights to be restricted to glowing blue lich eyes anymore.

1 Like

Personally, i’ve always been of the opinion that blood elves should’ve been an alliance race, but at the same time that would mean Draenei wouldn’t have been added, and i think draenei are one of the more interesting races in the game. With that being said, i think the Edgy, evil, and sinister vibe the early blood elves had were extremely important in the racial identity they had. I also thought it was a nice touch that the blood elves weren’t exactly loyal to the horde up until recently, and that they were really just affiliated with it out of necessity. As a faction, i feel that the horde should always be unstable and unruly, with various racial dislikes playing a factor, but never really boiling over to the point that certain races abandon the horde or fight a civil war.

I admittedly was (and partially still am) one of the high elf crowd members, although in my opinion adding a new race of “high elves” isn’t necessary, all i really want from blizzard now is the option to disable the visual effect of Entropic embrace as a void elf player. (mainly because i really don’t like how it ruins my transmogs and i’ve never been a fan of those overly done visual effects that retexture your character entirely. By that point, we’d basically have legitimate high elves as a race.

they became the draenei of the horde… yeah and then Blizz started spoiling them with cosmetic options they really didn’t need and the playerbase got a tad toxic. BEs were cool…a long time ago now I don’t know… I’ve run into so many toxic players who’re playing a BE than i have any other race in the game.

2 Likes

I agree with this, but it goes further. The conceit of the High Elves as a faction is that they refused to be told what to do and valued self determination over everything. They abandoned their homeland and kin over these values. Its why, for the reasons you touched on, the Horde was always a better fit for them.

2 Likes

Eh, i don’t know. There’s plenty of alliance races that did that too, I mean for example the highborne night elves are part of the alliance now. and the high elves are also part of the alliance, Void elves are another example of this, They were told not to use void magic, and they disobeyed that order, which resulted in them becoming exiled from Silvermoon.

1 Like

Right, the void elves are acting in character. They said nobody tells us what to do! And then left, and took any port in the storm. If the Alliance shows up in their rift and says, OK weirdos this is too dangerous time to stop messing around with the void!, then there is no way the void elves should accept that.

The Night Elves mending fences with the Highborne is one of the biggest failures of the narrative, IMO. Not that they couldn’t do something like that and have it work, but its a failure because they did NOTHING with it. It should have been a really cool/semi-major lore development but it was just “oh this happened” and people could make NE mages. Like, ok…

2 Likes

Interestingly enough the alliance doesn’t care so much what the void elves do. There’s the whole “if your magic gets out of hand we’ll put you down” message that various alliance individuals say at the start of the game for void elves, but by the time the fourth war is going on, there’s practically no oversight at all. Void elves can do whatever they want to win battles. And now we’ve got Eredar in the alliance too. Interesting how different things are in that regard compared to earlier.

1 Like

has there been any connection between demon hunters and blood elf society since legion? I feel like night elven culture is heavily opposed to manipulation of the fel (maybe different now that warlocks are among them) however it seems like demon hunters could be a bridge for more interesting developments with blood elves.

As for the yellow eye thing mentioned, they also have green eye option, so if its following the same trend then there are some among them who embrace different sources of power still.

Having Turalyon vouch for them because of his GF went a long way with the Alliance, I guess.

2 Likes

You know if i’m being honest i prefer Turalyon as our leader over Anduin. I miss Varian the most, but Turalyon is cool.

I never really think of the DHs as a bridge to anything but misery. Their whole motif is that they’ve sacrificed everything, but its not just a meme, the thing they sacrificed is the ability to ever be free of torment. In the game world there would likely never be someone who looked at a DH and thought, “Yeah, thats cool”.

weren’t a few of the bloodelves directly near the sunwell during the raid fel infused yet still retained other forms of magic?

I think the nightborne could be the most viable race for dh expansion, given their affinity to magic and probably odd physiological damage they have suffered from their past addictions.

The nightborne and blood elf alliance has huge implications in terms of raw power development / innovation, especially given their peoples shaky past potentially offering test subjects. I mean the orcs were mildly successful using fel magic, maybe even extremely successful if you look at shadowmoon valley. If they need a weapon in eastern kingdoms and they’re morally against another plague maybe fel magic with nightborne assistance is possible.

But why would anyone sign up for being a DH?