Blood elves belong in the Horde

Lor’themar definitely proved that blood elves earned that spot, too. Even going as far back as MoP. During MoP, I wanted Lor’themar to be Warchief more than I wanted Vol’jin.

11 Likes

The good news is I neither want or care about edgy Blood Elves and their tbc asset kingdom.

Void Elves can stay, but only because their edge is campy and fun at rp events.

2 Likes

Blood elfs belong to themselves.

It took me a while to accept why some people might like class/race restrictions. But I think we’re at a point between all the races/allied races, toys, and transmog that the restrictions don’t really fit anymore. And in the story your character is already such a unique/powerful hero as recognized by some of the devs. Wish they would just let you do whatever in that regard.

4 Likes

Lor’Themar has been the biggest, pleasant surprise for me. In BC he really didn’t do much. I’d really wanted Kael’Thas to lead and was really let down he became a villain you had to murder hobo twice.

That expansion campaign was my favorite and I was actually really delighted to hear they were joining the Horde. I thought Kael’Thas would be an excellent addition to the Red story as we didn’t, and still don’t, have a wizard leader.

And in Wrath at least I don’t remember Lor’Themar doing anything. It was mostly the Sunreavers doing magic stuff in the background. Then again I spent Wrath being, well wrathful, about Windrunner and the Forsaken having very little to do with Arthas’s final downfall.

So coming back in Legion I probably couldn’t have even told you the guy’s name off the top of my head. And expected nothing from him. So him being this actually pretty well rounded character who was tough but thoughtful was really nice.

And I really liked that short story. He’s a good soldier, but also kind of a dorky poet who gets nervous around girls he likes. I like that.

11 Likes

True. But there are some stuff like Forsaken Druid that would be a little weird.

But we’ve LForged DKs and Velf Holy Priests so, idk if it matters anymore really.

He had a great short story during wotlk, too. Try to find it. it’s worth reading. He deserves to be king more than any Sunstrider ever did.

2 Likes

I think High/Blood Elves hewing so closely with those common high fantasy tropes is a large part of why so many Alliance mains have wanted them so badly and why so many Horde mains haven’t been as keen on them.

It’s not what I would have gone with, and I still think it denied us some potentially better options, bus won’t deny that I think it’s been an interesting dynamic. I’ve had a lot of fun playing off of it in RP, especially with this character.

3 Likes

I just vaguely remember Slyvanas kind of strong arming him into going to Northrend.

The Belf popularity has made their alleged small numbers just not feel accurate to the game experience, population numbers only matter when the story decides it does, and it was strange to me the Belves would have to be coerced into attacking the Lich King.

I know WC3 to BC really did a number on them. But even if it wasn’t personal, and its about as personal as things can be, it’s the Lich King. If he wins he’s going to wipe out all life on Azeroth. Not really a fight any able bodied person can sit out.

2 Likes

Syvlanas did strong arm him, but the book is about Silvermoon and how he handles being Regent-Lord, as well as how he tries to get the very stubborn, stuck up, and stupid high elves to come home.

7 Likes

Isnt that your title?

I like that blood elves joined the Horde because it breaks with generic average fanatsy tropes at the core. No other game has done this so far to these great lengths.

2 Likes

And that’s why I probably find myself coming back to WoW. Even the better part of the decade where I didn’t play, I’d find my imagination wandering back there a lot.

The Forsaken are hands down my favorite fantasy anything. It’s the only faction where all the undead have personalities. Otherwise maybe if you’re lucky you get a Lich or Vampire Lord with motives more complex than “I’m going to ruin everything because I’ve a skull for a face” but even that’s rare. Heroes of Might & Magic and some of Warhammer’s Vampire Counts like Vlad Von Carrstein have interesting leaders at least. And I guess the 40k Necrons are similar in a sci fi way.

But the Forsaken manage to be spooky but also relatable. I’m often a cynical pessimist with a gallows sense of humor so I just vibe with them.

I feel like WoW has at least one faction for everyone that feels like it was made specifically for you.

6 Likes

From the Horde perspective, you’re not wrong.

From the Alliance perspective, we see a different side of them. Void Elves present themselves are responsibly delving into these darker powers, using them in a way to minimize potential corruption of their surroundings. During the Alliance Zuldazar assault, you end it with Umbric and followers animating a dead dinosaur with the Void, but they tell you from the onset that the goal isn’t massive devastation so much as psychological warfare. The Zandalari have a weak constitution for undead, and attacking them with an undead dinosaur is expected to break their will to fight. This, along with other actions such as sending Horde diplomats, and ONLY Horde diplomats on one-way trips to the void, as well as targeting people like Gallywix, makes it clear they’re not out for mass bloodshed, but rather, are performing precision strikes meant to minimize casualties on both sides.

When we do see them using the Void they’re also very mindful of it’s potential. Using that undead dinosaur again, rather than pushing on to some new target, once the goal is completed they have you return so they can destroy it before it grows powerful enough to get out of control.

Unfortunately we really do need a LOT more development for Void Elves though. Too much is not known about them.

1 Like

I mean, I like them. But I’m a Forsaken fan so, not sure how chill the Alliance should be about me going

“Shadow zombie dinosaurs? Sign me right the hell up please. Why didnt y’all just move to the Undercity? We would’ve let you do whatever you wanted” is kind of my reaction to them. From an undead perspective.

It was weird they didn’t get to do much with Nzoth. But nobody did. I was hoping for a subplot about worgen and Forsaken kind of being a strike force against the Black Empire. As worgen are probably the most mentally disciplined, Forsaken have an innate resistance to magical mind duckery, and both are Shadow resistant.

4 Likes

True. Its weird that the Void Elves didn’t just end up elsewhere in the Horde. Their reasoning (once they’re in the Alliance) is that they couldn’t trust the Horde with their knowledge and powers. Not a bad reason on the surface, but what originally drove them to their studies in the first place was a love and patriotic sense of duty to Quel’Thalas and her people.

They’re really not well thought out or reasoned, sadly.

The Void Elves weren’t really used for any of the void related plotlines of the expansion and it’s pretty sad. Naz’jatar shouldn’t have been Jaina and Genn on the Alliance side, it should’ve been Tyrande and Umbric.

6 Likes

I find this claim suspect and highly dubious. The Fact that you felt the need to lay out a preface for your self is curious, to say the least.

By “My”, do you mean this particular forum Troll Posting Alt? Or you as a person entirely?

And

By “here”, do you mean this particular forum, or any Official Blizzard Warcraft Forum?

I disagree. It can be pretty laughable now and then. That discussion can lead to humor.

Not any more weird than the rest.

The Drust and Ardenweald stuff combined opens up a crack for Druid Death and Undeath Magics. Even if purely as command and control. Much like the Blood Elf Paladins were introduced as, only to be softened as time went on.

2 Likes

We don’t want Quel’thalas… the people who keep saying Blood Elves don’t belong on the Horde are generally other Horde…

Honestly that was such just a weird dick move to Nelf fans.

Theres a great little quest with Thalyrssa there. She walks the ruined streets and comments on what it used to be like. Then you solemnly put down the restless spirits of her old friends.

Then Azshara turns up. And is so petty. She’s angry that Thalyrssa is calling herself First Arcanist with the same energy of somebody in their 30s still trying to lord their HS Prom Queen status over people. And then sicks Thalyrssa’s old apprentice at her, who now looks like an acid trip at red lobster, and it’s tragic because Thalyrssa suggested she come to this city to learn more.

It’s a great quest that shows how vile Azshara is and gives a much needed sense of personal loss to the city. It ceases being Highborne Ruins #348 and feels, tragic. Kids used to play in these streets this was a massacre.

It’s my understanding the Alliance have a similar one. But it’s with Jania humansplaining Kaldorei history. Which uh, sweet. Totally couldn’t have been a good moment for Tyrande or Maiev or, hell any of them. Definitely needed to be Jania.

13 Likes

I kind of get the Devs’ reasoning. Night Elves were largely in Darkshore, fighting for their homeland, particularly the main leaders; Tyrande, Malfurion, and Maeiv. Jaina has the fleet of Kul Tiras, so why wouldn’t this new Alliance fleet be pursuing the Horde fleet? Yeah, it’s all pretty logical.

Except WoW has never been held back by, “logic,” before and this seems like a pretty horrible time to start!

That’s what gets me. There could’ve been any number of reasons for Tyrande, Malfurion, or Maeiv to have gone to Naz’jatar. Heck, hunting down Nathanos alone would’ve been a good enough reason! The Night Elves have their own ships too. Umbric could’ve been there having sensed Xal’atath was in Nathanos’ possession.

It could’ve been a great chance, not only for characters like Tyrande, Malfurion, and Maeiv to have some greater significance and closure with a villain tied more to their race than any other, but also for the Void Elves to not only have had a chance to get their feet wet dealing with void problems, but also to have developed some positive relationships with the Night Elves.

What a waste…

5 Likes