Blood Elf Shadowpriests aren't canon

That’s the thing though, the exile isn’t directed at void elves, as a people – It’s at void practice or dabbling in general.

Remember, Rommath exiled them prior to becoming Void Elves – Back when they were merely diving deeper into the study of it. Hence the second sentence of the quote —

Grand Magister Rommath:

"This is why I demanded that Umbric and his radicals be exiled. ANYONE who treats with the Void is a danger to the Sunwell!"

All in all, they really shattered a particular portion of the Blood Elf fantasy tropes & roleplaying of many, simply to introduce something else. I’d just love if they could address it — Especially for those of us who are in the "Are we exiled, and still part of our people or? Idk…" limbo.

3 Likes

Then the question becomes whether Shadow magic that the shadow priests practiced is considered ‘dabbling in void’ rather than just dabbling in shadow magics.

Blizzard have indeed managed to be quite confusing in this matter.

1 Like

Not really, they already confirmed it many times, that it is.
Including the priest-order hall in Legion.

3 Likes

As far I am aware shadow is derived from the void.
Now, I haven’t played through the priest order hall quest, but from that definition I would not percieve dabbling in shadow magic as dabbling in void.

I do know that they have often used Shadow as a synonym for Void.
But just comparing the two seems to make the Void Elves’ questline very void. So whether blizzard actually intended for this to be perceived as such, is my question.

Though it would not surprise me, blizzard’s writers aren’t really anywhere near average… they are quite bad.

Well keep in mind, Rommath said anyone who treats – with the void is exiled. Not so much ‘dabble’. Shadowpriests most definately ‘treat’ with the void, and many could say even ‘dabble’ too.

I mean we literally have abilities like ‘Void Eruption’ (which also enters us into ‘void form’) and spells like ‘Void torrent’ … If you’d like to suggest that’s still not treating or dabblign with the void, I’d say you’re in some pretty hardcore denial there. Lmao

3 Likes

I know that much

I am really just questioning blizzard writers as I usually does. Because the perception would be highly illogical, so the question remains whether blizzard’s writers intended this or not. I am well aware that they are crap at writing, and that they have trouble remembering details, even details that would be quite important to remember.

And again, it would make the Void Elves’ quest to find such power void, because they already had the power.

I am not denying your arguments, I am just doubting that blizzard’s writers actually intended it like that.

Not necessarily.

We do not know the proper chronology of events, but its entirely feasible that Umbric and his followers were questing to delve deeper into Void Magic prior to the Sunwell’s re-ignition as a font of both Light and Arcane. In Outland we saw the Blood Elves were studying everything from pseudo druidism to the void (Astromancers).

The idea that Umbric and his researchers were studying the Void while on Azeroth isn’t that far-fetched. Rommath deciding that the study of the Void needed to stop for the Sunwell’s security makes sense. Umbric and his followers feeling that all that time and effort researching the Void which they sincerely believe could be a major utensil in Quel’Thalas’ defense makes just as much sense.

The problem here is Blizzard’s asinine decision to have the Void Elves come from the Blood Elves at all. It would’ve made as much sense (if not more) for Alleria to have borrowed the Silver Covenant from Vereesa for a weekend to go into Outland looking for lost rangers (like Talthressar), and then wind up getting void corrupted. Alliance players get to play their elves, Lor’themar nor Rommath have to come off as idiots, Blood Elf Shadow Priests aren’t in question, etc… it would’ve been a win all around.

But, in typical Blizzard faction they had to go, “You guys want to play Blood Elves so bad? Fine. Here, have some Blood Elves, dipped in purple.”

6 Likes

We do know that Umbric went ahead with his crazyness after the Sunwell’s reignition, I remember him stating that the Blood Elves would never fall prey to their enemies again. Rommath also exiled the Umbric and the rest because their research posed a threat to the Sunwell, which it could only have done after its reignition.

We do know that Umbric started after the SUnwell’s reignition, just not exactly when after.

And this I pretty much agree with, stupidest decision ever, and indeed, it should have been elves from the Silver Covenant.

1 Like

I do not see how him saying they wouldn’t fall prey to their enemies again means he started his research after the Sunwell’s reignition.

1 Like

It just seems redundant to say while being at their weakest, and fits better after having obtained previous power (reignited sunwell).
But regardless, Rommath saying that their research would be a danger to the Sunwell is a strong hint on its own.

1 Like

Everyone seems to have forgotten the other issue with the Void Elves, which may well be Ronmath’s bigger one than a perceived threat to the Sunwell.

The Void Elves are loyal to Alleria Windrunner, who’s been outed as an Alliance sympathizer and seditionist. It’s the equivalent of being a post-Civil War public follower of Jefferson Davis.

1 Like

Bob will be banished to the ghostlands were he gets finished by the scourge. Halduron is a traitor to the realm and will be executed for his alliance with Vereesa. The original blood elf council takes control over Silvermoon and while Lord Sanguinar leads the military, Capernian is the new Grand Magistrix. Finally Kael’thas the true heir to the throne of Quel’thalas will be king and lead the Sin’dorei into a glorious future. His first degree should be centralization of all major parts of society. so the rogues become a group of people that is skilled enough to rival the SI:7.

Lor’themar greets her as a Heroine of Quel’Thalas and the moment she brings up the Alliance, changes his tune quite fast. He truly became a politician.

I don’t think this is as big of a concern as it once was, honestly. I mean, he invited her to his wedding. I’d agree having her leading the Void Elves would’ve been a massive concern circa… BFA, when the Horde was in active war with the Alliance, but now that they’ve been at peace for some time, just doesn’t feel like a big deal anymore.

Also, your example doesn’t really work that well. Quel’Thalas didn’t fight a Civil War, for starters, and Alleria isn’t trying to convince anyone to break off from Quel’Thalas to begin with. They’ve either been exiled, or have come willingly to the Void Elves. By the same token, she’s not tried to undermine the authority of Quel’Thalas, for that matter. She acknowledges the current leadership’s sovereignty and attempted to treat with them regarding their allegiances. That’s not really sedition.

5 Likes

If you’re part of a country and give unauthorized military aid to their enemies, I think that’s a form of sedition.

If you dont think so, try doing this irl and see what happens.

1 Like

Well, you’d have to be a part of that country first. From what I recall, the Void Elves were all exiled, and Alleria herself was exiled in effect before she’d rendered military aid to the Alliance against the Horde (mind you, the Horde, not Quel’Thalas directly). Sedition implies intent to separate. The High/Void Elves today never intended to secede from Quel’Thalas: the ruling body exiled them.

1 Like

I think if you’re exiled from a country, but continue to act against their interests and against their allies, you’d still be considered a traitor worth killing. Not to bring up real world examples (and not saying I agree with this irl), but it’s kind of an Edward Snowden situation, right? Not sure if it meets the legal definition of sedition, but I’m not entirely sure what it is you’re trying to prove, here.

If you are a natural-born citizen of a nation-state, get exiled, and start working with the enemy…I think that’s still a problem from the nation-state’s perspective.

This is more or less what I’m discussing.

Quel’Thalas is certainly free to think of the High/Void Elves as traitors for working with the Alliance against the Horde. Of course, all things are a matter of perspective. From the High/Void Elves’ perspective, the Blood Elves are the traitors, happier to get in bed with races that have attempted to commit genocide against their race for millennia, than to see their kin walking in the lands of their birth.

Just to provide another perspective, Lor’themar and the player Blood Elves technically are separatists. Kael’thas was their rightful ruler, and they raised their blades against him. Now, from the Blood Elves’ perspective Kael’thas betrayed them, but given that Quel’Thalas is a monarchy, then yes, the current Blood Elven leadership and state are technically guilty of sedition.

Granted the most clear cut example of seditionists would be the Scryers.

2 Likes

I mean if they are exiling Void priests then better lump warlocks and Death knights in with that lot as well.

I mean if we are talking about anything be a threat to the well I doubt a Voidwalker summoning warlock would be welcome or a death knight considering how the original well was corrupted.

1 Like

Races that attempted to commit genocide on them when they were mind-controlled by demons and the Lich King. Races who sent aid to the Blood Elves while the Alliance was spying and sabotaging their power stations.

We’re getting off-topic now, but this part is literally always left out when people try to discredit Blood Elves joining the Horde. One side willingly betrayed us by allowing an open racist to rise through their military structure, who then tried to commit genocide against us for hanging out with snake-elves. The other was juiced up on demon blood or puppeteered by human necromancers.

It’s just not fair to say the Horde committed genocide on the High Elves while leaving out obviously crucial information that would reframe the situation, and I don’t get why it’s literally always conveniently left out of the discussion.

1 Like

The Orcs weren’t mind controlled. At best you could say they were under the influence, but Doomhammer was fairly sober and knew exactly what he was doing.

Interestingly enough, the Alliance didn’t sabotage the Sanctums. They were observing the malfunction. Canon is canon, but it always seemed odd the Night Elves sent a small army halfway across the planet to investigate, ‘reckless arcane magic use,’ in Quel’Thalas after ignoring it for 10,000 years in their own back yard (Dire Maul).

“Willingly,” is a bit much. Garithos received his post as compensation for the loss of his lands during the Second War, not because they wanted a racist in charge. Indeed, he never was meant to be such a figurehead, he was simply the highest ranking survivor of the Scourge. Keep in mind, he was also being controlled by a Dreadlord. We don’t know exactly when he fell under their influence, but its not outside the realm of possibility (and certainly likely), that his attempts to sabotage the Blood Elves’ efforts was a result of the Dreadlords keeping their enemies divided and weak.

At the time the Lich King was the soul of an Orc soooooo… -Shrugs-

My wording was, “Attempted,” genocide. As in, Trolls and Orcs primarily. The undead actually succeeded, but as you’ve noted, were being controlled. By the soul of an Orc. -Shrugs-

1 Like