Blizzard's Transparent Plan with SoD: Getting People Into Retail

The addition of runes and homogenization of classes has basically made SoD “retail lite.”

Given the difficulty/impossibility of sending SoD toons with wildly different gear and abilities to Era Makes, it makes sense for Blizz to send those toons to retail, which is their real moneymaker.

It’s no small coincidence that SoD will likely conclude around the likely release date of 11.0.

24 Likes

If that’s true, when can we expect boosts, tokens and store mounts.

1 Like

For sure.

They already announced xp boosts before the game is even out.

3 Likes

Are they ever gonna to listen to the classic players and run the with classic playstyle and talents all the way thru the lore … not another re-release, not this sod junk from blizzcon - o lets call it classic and add bits of retail. that’s not what we said. it’s not what we want.
… and yea it looks like a bait and switch to retail comin

9 Likes

1 button rotation and GDKPs are still available on era servers.

8 Likes

They literally ported the PVP talent system from retail. The warrior Warbringer rune was cut-and-pasted straight from WotlK, applying to Intervene which doesn’t exist in Classic.

7 Likes

SoD will result in a modest drop in GDKP/bots on Era and an increase in GDKP and bots on the seasonal realms.

I think more of us retailers will get into SOD and we don’t do GDKP. Paying gold for gear is gross.

1 Like

so why are you crying then? Sounds like your game still exists exactly the way you want it and itll get better. Have fun

3 Likes

Those who buy gold to GDKP are a minority, and Vanilla players don’t like them either since they effectively kill the game by boosting, causing bots to go rampant, and only care about end game raiding.

2 Likes

i cant image why they’re trying to pass it off as classic, except to get folks to retail. how many subscribers to wow? 10 million x $15 a month and they can;t get classic right - just re released stuff … changing classic as soon as tbc hit … then this mess - its not classic

6 Likes

I agree a minority, but not necessarily a super small minority. Most of the gold buyers I know are people who came to Classic from retail or Wotlk which have tokens, so they are used to buying gold.

1 Like

It actually seems like a crazy testing ground for ideas they were never willing to push in the main game.

It’s filler content between other WoW content releases and just for fun. Not meant to be more than that I’d guess.

They may even adopt certain concepts from it into the main game if they’re popular enough.

4 Likes

but it doesnt and it could be there but with 150million a month they take in they probably somehow can’t seem to do the programming. or someone is saying only do what appeals to the widest audience. sod is not classic. classic is the playstyle and talents we have now and add the lore on thru the game but keep the classic playstle and talents.

I bet it exists in SoD.

For the current workforce, Classic is an embarrassment. Many players would rather play a 15+ year old version of the game rather than the newest one. How do you explain that to your bosses? THEY see every person on a pserver as lost revenue, that is why they keep using the pservers gimmicks to lure them back. The end goal is definitely to bring everyone back to the big tent, RETAIL but it looks like the reverse is happening if Whiteman’s success is anything.

5 Likes

Retail Avatar

1 Like

You are giving the dev team too much credit. Giving Alliance WF but not giving Horde blessings after what happened in SoM? They have no idea what they are doing.

1 Like

Adjusts tinfoil hat.

2 Likes

Yeah this is a staggering level of incompetence of the likes I’d expect from the D4 devs.

Classic → always favored toward alliance due to paladin buffs

“Let’s give alliance horde’s strongest and faction defining buff with no reciprocal buffs to horde”

lmao

These devs obviously don’t play classic or understand anything about it.

1 Like