Blizzard says 80%+ will quit and that's why layering is needed

if 80% will quit, why do we need layering? That should leave 20% of people perfectly capable of occupying one single game space.

What is layering? if you mean cross realm by all means that crap should go bu-bye

I get that not using layering will bring with it it’s own consequences.
But when i compare where and in what way the damage will be done taking into consideration both potential outcomes (server merges vs layering), then i’d much rather go with the approach that’s proven to work with the game: The non layered approach.

Does it kinda fail on a tech side of things in regards to population managment? Ya, kinda. But it’s supporting the game by allowing it to be played from Day 1 the way it was intended. Layering is not a necessary evil - a non layered approach is, if you want to see the game succeed.

With layering, sure, you have better server management, but you sacrifice weeks or months since launch of the Classic experience for it. You make people play a different game, and say to them “just hold on guys!!” all for the health of the servers, when everyone just wants to get involved with Classic…just Classic. No shenanigans for weeks or months. Players just wanna play the game they expect.

Instead of tunnel visioning on server health, What about the health of the community that the game relies on to do it’s magic trick? What about the health of the world immersion that players experience when playing WoW in it’s normal state?

Server health matters, to an extent. But it doesn’t trump the importance of player experience within the game at any point.
Sharding/CRZ has proven this very, very clearly, as it’s a widely hated approach in this MMORPG - because it destroys community and immersion, the 2 main pillars of this type of game, for the sake of smooth and convenient gameplay, and stable servers.

Even to this day, people are really dissatisfied with this “modern” approach to their MMORPG world…of course, because it goes against the premise it’s based on - the “WORLD” of Warcraft.
The “WORLD” is Classics appeal summed up in just that title/word alone. Layering is going to disrupt this, and turn this “world” into something else yet again, at a time where Classic’s gotta be Classic the most to convince players to stay…

Please don’t repeat the same mistake again. Instead, dare to find out what happens when you don’t push the red button, and observe what happens when you let the game do it’s thing, without any of the tech you already have data on in the modern game.
The core audience will play the game if you give them the real deal anyway, so you’ll have the chance to find out if tourists you now expect to leave will actually end up staying because of a full on MMORPG experience, rather than a modern, retail like one.

1 Like

Which is exactly what layering is supposed to do. If you think server merges are a good thing, you never lived through one in Vanilla. It was 100000x worse than layering. Stop making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Replace the word “it” with “everything” and you nailed it. The same people who complain about layering now will be the same people who complain if launch is less than perfectly smooth as well.

If that is true, then would you please explain in detail - one by one - how a server merge was “100,000x” worse than each of these Layering exploits and problems:

2 Likes

Huh? A link would be nice to back these claims. I’m a wee bit skeptical considering that’s not how layering works and it’d have no effect whatsoever on server population because layering is done locally.

Again, I’d love any sort of link as proof they’ve said this. In fact the only thing I’ve heard them say in regards to estimated population is that they’re not gonna say anything about it for reasons of realm health.

This does not sound at all like they’re expecting “80% to quit”, maybe after what several years? Quite a while before we gotta worry.

The stress tests seem to indicate we WILL in fact be getting the “authentic launch experience” with or without layering.

Damn it Brack, you had one job.

Dude, you pop up everywhere with comments like this lol.

1 Like

I do like how Blizzard is trying to predict the success of a expansion (I consider Classic to be one). They have a phenomenal track record when it comes to setting their own expectations higher than the effort put into production of their games. In this scenario I see the opposite happening.

A surge will hit the game hard at release then die off a lot and after a few months many of those who quit at first will return and make an effort to stay.

I vote for resent, inside most of them there is resentment.
It isn’t the game they made and they are constantly in its shadow they are probably only remaking it because they had to for what ever reason it was.

There has always been a shadow of resentment in changes they have made to the game mainly focused around pvp back in cataclysm or shall I say a lot in cataclysm and some in future expansions.
All I really am saying I am pretty sure the people who are in charge are usually biased in a way from when they used to play wow before becoming recruited, they got defeated in pvp there fore try and make the game where that everything is raiding because they probably developed the notion that two factions isn’t pvp there fore wow wasn’t meant to be pvp factions. That is what I kinda get from bfa when it launched and when they told people how they were bringing what made warcraft great they made it sound like a pvp expansion with faction conflict but stated that warfronts weren’t pvp intended to begin with and people still believed it was suppose to be a pvp expansion even though it pretty much was definitely pve focused expansion with only island pvp added at the start.

It’s mostly because people think Layering is the end of the world. Like Layering is would be the SOLE reason Classic “would” fail.

Oh he cannot explain it because he doesn’t really know what hes talking about, hes just parroting what others say because he thinks he is cool.

Most of those people can’t really explain why its bad, if someone says its ok to merge a totally dead server with no one logining in online for months or years they will say something like the forums will explode because there are more people around them and call the person who says its ok under those circumstances names, even when it is stated that no one is actually login onto it.

Well its up to the company to decide if merging is good, most anti merge arguments are air headed and usually give an alternative that does the same thing, or just strawman it into a argument about how people who disagree with them are fear mongering when the ones fear mongering are those that aren’t giving real valid reasons.

Yeah but…bro - take it eassssy.

Because the three weeks before that 80% will quit are the only time layering will exist in the game?

You really don’t understand the discussion based on this question.

1 Like

Its more a matter of not trusting blizzard to remove layering after that three weeks

That was literally not what you said.

I never said they were a good thing. See here:

The type of merge i went through was the one introduced with CRZ, which didn’t just add communities, but destroyed the previous one already there in the process as everyone got thrown into the pot. Add some sharding, and what do you have? A bloody mess. No “World” in Warcraft anymore.

I’d much rather have 1 small community in the worst case, and have that one be introduced to a new one, than not have one at all for the first weeks and months (the leveling period out of all, which grows the server together…).
Because unlike without layering you won’t have 1 world with it’s own lot that you are sure to meet during the leveling journey. And that’s what the game counts on to work as intended…and it’s taken away with layering for that long.

Because what we’ll have instead, is thousands of players constantly getting interchanged in the multiple worlds layering is gonna create, all during the time where you’re supposed to experience the magic of vanilla, which is comprised of world/community depth and social significance.

How can WoW hook you if these values aren’t upheld? And if it’s instead allowed to be disrupted this much, making you annoyed with the world/players in the process because it’s super clunky to even try to interact in this world(s)?

Did layerings former iterations (sharding/CRZ) help greatly to cause WoW to decline to the point where the much more “improved” modern versions of WoW can’t even hold a candle to it’s old versions aka Vanilla, TBC and WotlK as it’s holding millions less players than the current “modern” games, and in fact has become a meme for being one of the worst iterations of WoW ever?

Yes.

Did the old World of Warcraft, without any of that game/world breaking tool designed to improve “player experience” and “convenience”, not just survive, but thrive to an extent that made it the most popular and loved MMORPG of all time, becoming a cultural phenomenon and widely regarded as the best time of WoW as a game, holding up to 12 million players at it’s peak?

Yes.

You’re telling me layering is going to be worse than that which already has been proven to not be even a dent in the game’s life. It appears as if indeed, you are

:stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe 80% will quit because of layering.

1 Like

Maybe 80% will quit because of layering.

My thoughts exactly.
Bad decisions are what ruined the game in the first place.

2 Likes