Blizzard said they would "prefer that healers spend their time healing" during an interview with Morgan Day

Depends on the key. For me personally, I’m usually doing somewhere in the neighborhood of 40k-50k over the course of the whole dungeon.

Keep in mind too that I was looking at +20s. Generally speaking as you go up in key levels, the people around you are more skilled and their numbers will be higher. I don’t expect to see numbers that high in a +2 since if they’re pumping like that they’re not going to be plateauing in a +2. The relative rate of 6% total group damage should hold though. In my last guild run my healer did 4% of the total group damage as a Mistweaver. So some amount of variance compared to the Evoker I was comparing to before but still a lot higher than the numbers you were throwing out.

EDIT: Here, a log from one of my guild runs. We didn’t do particularly well in this dungeon (we didn’t time) but it should help to put the numbers in perspective. https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/8V1L6h7r4MDPQX9R#fight=last

2 Likes

The average healer does like 20-30k DPS overall in a dungeon. Sometimes more depending on which dungeon, sometimes less. Also depends pretty heavily on how good your group is.

Not really a negligible number, but also not required. I’ve timed plenty of keys where the healer did like 6k dps and that was basically because their kit forced it. Not really sure where the magic key number is that healers need to do damage. Maybe 23 or 24? Idk

Then make it part of the PvP talents?

It’s not a question of ‘good.’ It’s a question of difficulty. On a long enough time line you will hit content where the healer needs to contribute DPS, because you defeat bosses by killing them, not healing.

Plus if you spent 5 minutes looking at average parses for high end content, yes, the healer contributes.

Everyone needs to contributes to the success of the party. That includes things like DPS using self-heals and defensives because it’s not technically the healer’s job to keep them alive, and tanks maximizing DPS because you don’t kill a boss by merely holding threat on them. And yes, that means the healer needs to contribute DPS. Some bosses it’s understandable you wont be doing this- many M+ bosses are balls-to-the-walls who simply don’t have downtime. But for every Fenryr who doesn’t really afford you any time to do anything but heal, there’s an Eranog, where you’d have to try pretty hard to both constantly heal and not drive over healing.

If your party is topped off and there’s no reason to pre-empt a boss mechanic like a tank buster, there’s no excuse for not contributing. If you just stand there, being called out for it doesn’t make me an elitist, it makes you lazy. Not saying that’s a good or a bad thing, but if your party wipes, especially over trivial amounts of HP on the targets, that’s on you.

I like it. Tired of the QQ of people saying, “healers should dps if they’re not healing at that very second.” IMO, nah. Healers can chill if they’d like, the group will pull through either way. Most of the time healers may seem like they’re not “doing anything” but on the healers screen they are probably waiting to see if X class is about to miss a mechanic again and lose half their health. Which happens 50/50 of the time, hah.

TLDR: Even if healers aren’t mashing buttons every GCD, they are actually doing stuff. Chill.

1 Like

Just gonna leave this here for ppl who might be interested in it.

1 Like

It means healers will always be expected to dps in their down time, but that they would prefer the majority of the dungeon to not be downtime.

2 Likes

you use the word contributing a lot. the heals are contributing just like the dps dps’es.

+10 ( i need to type more)

No way this thread got resurrected.

Potions of shocking disclosure, try it.

You can enable mouseover in the baseline ui. Dont even have to target enemies with tab targeting to dps.

Makes it easier to aim certain spells too like evokers aoe bloom.

They dont need to dps anyway, bc they do 200 DPS.

Its good that they want healers to do their intended roles. Having healers do dmg constantly or runs fail means the dps aren’t doing their jobs… Now that also means that they have to make more balancing changes for specs to do that dmg though which is lacking on many.

Yeah, but with the above method they don’t even need to mouseover enemies, they just keep mousing over the happy green health bars.

Its nice for switching between both since you can straight up mouseover health bar raid frames too and use the same keybinds for addon panels.

1 Like

What is the actual win condition for any fight?

When the boss hits zero HP. This means that everything the healer does that doesn’t keep the team alive is a waste of time. This counts for both over healing and time spent doing nothing.

If you don’t want to do anything but heal that’s fine, there’s no shortage of content where that’s acceptable. But most people would tell you that in serious content, “acceptable” isn’t a good mentality to have.

The fact that Prevokers can press Fire Breath and spam 1 key to do more DPS than me full on cat & moonweaving tilts me tbh

You mean bursting for 15k with moonfire, AS, Solar Flare, Convoke, swap into cat form, drop three bleeds, swap into moonkin to spam those spells isnt as easy as a prevoker pushing 1-2 buttons to do more?

I enjoy dpsing on my prevoker when I have time to. it’s fun!

I don’t care what they do I worry about my role in a dungeon.