Blizzard is removing posts about cloning they don't like

Understood.

I had a friend who I raided classic with hit me up asking if I wanted to log onto classic era with them. Unfortunately, at that time we both found out together that the cloning service had ended… 6th months ago. We both agreed that we did not want to level new characters and gear up again and we went our separate ways once more.

If I get my character back I know that I would get more than 2 days from it, there’s a lot of people I haven’t seen since classic era and it would be nice to play classic with them once again.

Then create a level 1 and play with them. You ignored Classic Era for years and are just feeling FOMO. You either want to play Classic Era or you don’t.

1 Like

Sometimes it takes decades for people to realize that era is the best version of wow.

We will be here playing mains and fresh alts if you ever choose to return :slight_smile:

However, opening up clones would potentially throw the entire economy into a tailspin, give a bunch of toons / gold to sellers, and would let people who only want to play ‘their bis toon’ return. Era became stable after they closed the clones and there is no need to ever open them again.

Good on blizz for closing duplicate, spam, threads.

1 Like

The economy is already in a tailspin, IMHO. Also, I really do feel that Blizzard should see how big of a want this is. Instead of making excuses, lets see some action from Blizzard. We know these archives are not gone. Anyone believing that bogus excuse, might have the wool pulled over their eyes.

It would be much much worse if clones were opened again.

Clones were closed before the popularity of era grew, which means gold sellers (who play the game in a rational economic way, did not clone the majority of their toons).

The economy is becoming even more wild as more and more tbc/wotlk non-cloners return and buy gold to gear their new toons.

Now if we open clones in this environment we get a massive surge of:

• Clones with gold cap / banks full of consumes.
  • Many thousands of level cap toons to be turned into bots.
  • Fully geared toons for people who didn’t clones (I wish we could only clone these somehow because they are okay).

So we basically end up wrecking the current economy, much more than what is seen in today’s inflation, giving a huge payday to gold sellers, all so people who abandoned era when it needed them can have their precious t3 toons back. Not worth it.

I get your points. But, the issue is, if Blizzard was smart and just put a gold cap on what you can clone, this solves this 100%.

Only allow the clones to bring like 10,000g at most

I know if I were to clone my old characters, I wouldn’t be doing it for money, but rather the incredible amount of time I put into some of my characters.

The way they handled clones was poor… proper notice to people who weren’t actively playing WoW (subbed or otherwise) wasn’t given and that’s on them. They really need to take ownership over that.

However, all we really have at this point is their supposed statement (apparently in a stream, I think) that the data was gone and deleted. I don’t really know that we have a choice, we have to accept that as truth. So your options are to re-level or not play.

For whatever it’s worth, lots of people are leveling right now. I’ve had no trouble finding dungeons up to Scarlet Monastery so far. I think you will feel the loss of any end-game geared characters though. There’s a bit of a pay wall as I think end-game is somewhat dominated by GDKP. Other options exist, but they’ll be hard to find. If you truly like Classic and don’t want to pay to win, you’ll find them, I just didn’t want to sugar coat it for you.

I agree that it sucks your character is stuck in the progression servers.

However they gave a lot of time for people to clone, and not doing so had a negative impact on all the people who did go to era. We had a mostly dead world for a long time while everyone ran head-first into the tbc trashcan.

However, while not perfect, era is decently healthy right now - and that boom really started after clones closed. Removing the uncertainty that clones create was a huge benefit to the economy.

Re-opening clones now would be a huge risk to all players on era and only benefit gold farmers / people who didn’t value era when it needed people most.

Likely because they’re clogging up the forums…

in the time that the clone complaints have been going on I have leveled 2 characters to 60, raid geared 1, and ranked both to R11.

I am by no means the best player ever, I’m not the fastest or bestest at anything, I’m merely average and what I’m saying is maybes its time to stop crying about the clones being no more and make a new character.

I would clone a few of my old now on wrath characters if I could, but these posts have become ridiculous and Good on blizzard for taking out the endless tide of spam posts by likely the same 6 or 7 people.

They gave three months, which under normal circumstances would actually be ok. However, they neglected to inform people who weren’t actually playing WoW at the time. The communication was poor and people understandably missed the memo.

1 Like

What would “returning the clone service” even mean? Your character profiles are deleted. They have stated as such. They deleted all of it. Its gone. Over. Your characters are in WOTLK now. Even if you didnt touch them it doesnt matter.

In all fairness, if Blizzard wanted to, they could allow you to duplicate a character that got migrated to WotLK, provided it met certain criteria (ie, level 60, no items from wotlk, etc…).

Just erase the gold off the clones. Genuinely, no one would be mad. We want our characters with their items. Remove BOEs for all I care, I want my 150 days played bis warrior.

2 Likes

Really good point. Just strip out gold and non-bound items in your bags/bank during the copy. I mean, if it were up to me, I’d leave you with 100g just to help you get going because I’m not a monster… but that’s just me.

1 Like

Clones were available for over a year.

TBC came out June 1, 2021 - and people who wanted to play era cloned.
July 26, 2022 - clones were closed.

My condolences go out to those who missed it, but over a year is a long time for something that is supposedly important.

Like Harland mentioned above, this is the best time to level a new toon. The world is alive, groups are easy to find, and world pvp is amazing fun.

So what? There was no indication that it was going to be a temporary service.

1 Like

are we still crying about this?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but they didn’t initially imply that the cloning service would only be offered temporarily, did they? I know that eventually they made a forum post saying it was ending, but… sure, and I understand the service was available for a year, but come on… no one ever thought it would go away. Of course, until they said it would, which by that point, people who missed the window were understandably not looking at their Battle.net launcher or checking WoW forums for any number of valid reasons. The expectation here is absurd; no one knew it was going to eventually go away.
(unless you were one of 7,000 people who checked this forum post here:)

Yep, their salty tears are still flowing. :dracthyr_cry_animated:

That wouldn’t be very fair imo. I have a few characters sitting at level 65ish I’d love to clone back