Blizzard has a story telling problem in wow

Danuser is the classic story of a bad writer who has managed to fail upwards.

He seems to think otherwise, though.

3 Likes

Many players dont get it.

WoW has a MASSIVE WORLD. People gets in, roam the massive map, play its numerous quests spread all over the land, explore its deep dungeons, get its treasure, etc.

The main story of WoW is YOU. Your adventure, your experience on dungeons with other players, with your guild against badazz bosses is the STORY. The experience of leveling up, your gear progression, your fun moments with friends or guild, the loot dramas, the raid slot dramas, the extraordinary group kills of Bosses. This is the story. You make the story. Your friends/guild make the story.

Thatā€™s WoW.

When WoW started, we dont care of the Molten Core story if thereā€™s such story. All we care is our fun with the game. We come to WoW to play. Thereā€™s a reason why we are not on the Living Room playing TV or watching movies. We are gamers and we are here to play the game. Our fun is the Story.

ā€¦

Yeah, I donā€™t feel at all like my toon is the reason for the story.

I find fun in a world thatā€™s fun to play in, fun to explore, fun to find the why of, fun to go places and see the why for all of the prior points, and above all?

Fun to find fun within.

WoW is not fun.

WoW is not fun at all!

WoW is not taken seriously yet.

WoW is not something that Blizzard looks at and thinks, ā€œHm, what fun ideas can we both put in game and use to inspire our players with through playing said experience?ā€

1 Like

It is? Couldā€™ve fooled me. Couldā€™ve swore it was everyone else doing all the world saving. Magni using the Mcguffin, Jaina bringing the fleet home, Saurfang causing the Horde to reunite, Illidan and his scars, etc. etc.

1 Like

I agree that storytelling within questlines used to ROCK. There is ZERO reason to have taken a bunch of stuff that would have made an awesome questline, stick it in ā€œnotes,ā€ and make you go searching for it just to flyā€¦ most people wonā€™t read it anyway.

The reading material in-gameā€¦ books, etc. ā€¦ used to ENRICH the storyline, not be a copout to avoid providing in-game storytelling while the person was questing.

This isnā€™t about adding play time. This is about weaving depth into storylines to make them as rich as they were in the past.

I challenge anyone who hasnā€™t already, to just cruise through old content questingā€¦ donā€™t worry about the fact you are one-shotting everythingā€¦ read the quests as they are assigned, dive into the narrativeā€¦ I suggest just choosing to walk through one zone-line, even, from start zone through Outland and Northrend at leastā€¦ and THEN go and do stuff in SLā€¦ and wince.

1 Like

Used to be.

Speaking of his notes, do we need these or can I vendor them?

i sold them lol

and i only read the last two before i got bored lol

1 Like

This is why (imho) the story was better when we (our characters) were less important. Random adventurer who get caught up in an fantasy adventure romp vc Champion Chosen One Hero.

1 Like

I am liking the writing on this weekā€™s chapter in AZ MUCH much better than the prior weeks. I wish that level of story development was present in all the chapters.

I found out this this mess replaced the Real story of SL, I cannot shaking the feeling of overwhelming disappointment.