Blizzard handling bots is actually quite clever

I have been in a couple matches where we watch the bots fight eachother in the starting points and take bets. Its pretty fun while you wait for the match to wrap up.

5 Likes

I’ve heard that blizzard uses bots to balance
queues so they go faster. That is what makes detection harder.

They handle botting the same way they did 16 years ago, nothing has changed. This community is trying to rewrite history:

2 Likes

Oh, I thought that there was some bot moderation done by Game Masters. It does make sense though, I’ve always known that they ban in waves as that’s how they’ve banned bots in every game they’ve run (every being limited to D3 and WoW afaik).

Thanks, I guess GM’s really were more for player issues and not botting issues.
Still want them back though, I feel like that one GM priest incident ruined GM’s for classic.

The real reason they do bans in giant waves, is because it ensures that the botting itself remains profitable. The ban waves are merely a business expense for the bot companies. Think of it more like driving on a toll road. Pay the toll (new game license and boost) and bot with impunity for the ~6-9months it will take between ban waves.

That’s why you’re seeing so many bots right now, the absolute best time to bot in this game is immediately following one of blizzard’s massive ban waves. The bot makers know they’re free and clear to bot with impunity for the next few months.

2 Likes

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/herbalism-bots-plaguing-bfa/6981/28

YAAAAS QUEEN BLIZZARD, SLAY. or something like that.

1 Like

And the delusional blizzard fanboy award goes to you!

1 Like

This would be less cringe if you didn’t post from a retail account with a ton of collectors editions and store mounts.

1 Like

I looked up their quarterly reports and they seem to bring in, on average, around $400-$500M each quarter (last quarter was an outlier likely due to DF). What I don’t know is what % of that is WoW specifically, but in the grand scheme it’s irrelevant(ish) in the sense that whatever Blizzard is reponsible goes there.

So with 120k bots that’s 1.8M a month or 10.8M for 6 months, and then if they get 10% that is is basically a million for 6 months, which is 180 grand a month which makes it 540 grand per quarter. The delta being the range of 540 grand to 5.4M if they actually do get all that revenue, and then you have an extra 21.6M of added revenue per year for Blizzard.

All that math is based on the 120k figure they recently banned so I guess we have to start asking how many bot accounts are running around. If they really could bring in an extra 20M over the course of a year via bots that’s roughly ~1% increased revenue via bots. At the end of the day the dollars are the dollars and it’s money, and while I don’t think Blizzard does anywhere near enough of a job policing them I kind of doubt they are really feeling a noticeable impact of the revenue they get.

The other thing is they have to spend some manpower on dealing with reported cards and such, which costs them money that eats into the profit they get out of bots. I would question if they simply choose to do it this way because it’s better than policing the bots upfront and saves them money in the long run.

Yeah, I killed plenty of those bots back then before Classic launch.

If bots where actually costing blizzard money, they’d be financially incentivized to pay an actual human (or team of them) to remove them, and/or do simple things like forced region locking players (which at least nukes any bots not behind a VPN).

Please don’t take PR statements from people who wasted their major on communications, who work for corporations with every financial incentive to spin the narrative and outright lie so seriously. Basic critical thinking and following the money is all that’s required.

1 Like

I heard that the earth is a really a disc balanced on a turtle standing on the back of another turtle standing on the back of another turtle!!!

Current and former Blizzard employees have accused the company and their superiors within of some truly heinous things in the last two years. Of all the things that have come out, why has there never been a single employee who has claimed that Blizzard actually makes a tremendous income off bots and forces their employees to lie about it?

Maybe you should take your advice and do a little critical thinking here. They handle bots the exact same way they always have. Are you suggesting they’ve always made money off of bots? 18 years and no insider information leaked about this conspiracy theory you’ve conjured up in that “critical thinking” mind of yours?

Here’s a position open on their hacks team that deals with bots:

Starting salary is over $100,000.

You mean to tell me low level employees aren’t given access to high end internal financial data, and don’t want to ruin their careers by talking about internal business related information? (which is way different than social issues and illegal acts) This sir, is shocking I say. Shocking.

As for your job listing. All that means is the cost of subscriber loss is possibly finally outweighing the gains from bot money. Or it could also just be corporate virtue signaling and PR pretending like they’re addressing the issue without any real intention of actually doing something. It did after all get you to eat that up with a spoon and shill away.

The fact is Blizzard as a corporation has zero credibility anymore. Literally nothing short of them releasing detailed accounting data showing exactly how much in dollars bots impact their bottom line would make me believe that they take the issue remotely seriously or in anything less than most cynical terms. And even if they where to do that, you’d then be forced to confront and even worse thought, that they are genuinely trying to stop the bots but are literally too stupid or bad at their jobs to do so. They are literally being paid by players to handle the problem and failing spectacularly to the point where it looks deliberate. Quit shilling for the people literally stealing from you.

You’re so deep in your conspiracy theory you don’t even realize how illogical you are. Sad.

I’ve just built up a healthy distrust of giant corporations ever saying or doing anything without a financial incentive. Treat them like the sociopaths they are and their actions make much more sense. The only one being illogical here is you, the person who continues to simp for the “poor downtrodden billion dollar company” and who continues to swallow their narrative despite them having every financial incentive to allow botting, and their almost comical complete and total befuddlement when it comes to actually addressing the issue, despite their vast resources.

Yep.

all that account has to do in 6 months to pay for itself is…make the $90 to pay for 6 months (less actually for 6 month buy but being too lazy to hit the site…6 X 15).

and the cost of DE package. and some profit, ofc.

the junk above about on the spot…no. That is grade a bs. even eve has gm’s in game.

i’ve ahd friends “talk” with them.

out of the blue chats they can’t ignore.

Can’t help but notice you are step 2 on teh 4 step exploit out right now we are working on patching.

We being nice right now will assume you don’t know of this exploit. IF…you stop right now. Or we stop being nice, player choice.

and to be really clever…you don’t even see the gm’s. their gm godlke powers include full invisibily even from local. they are in system…but nothing shows that.

1 Like

I actually understand the complexity of the botting situation and the lengths they go in the arms race they’re in against Blizzard. I was a top 10 Diablo III player for a long time. I was in the top clan, I know more than you do here.

Sorry you can’t handle the facts.

And yet nothing you’ve said even remotely demonstrates even basic competency on this topic, beyond an ability to google Blizzard PR statements and present them as gospel. Despite all evidence to the contrary.

This part is actually hilarious to me. Not only because it’s entirely irrelevant, but because you think your pathetic attempt at a flex here admitting for that you obsessed over an objectively terrible game somehow raises my opinion about you. Congrats you where a no lifer on what was something like the 4th or 5th best ARPG at some point. Clearly that makes you an authority on botting in a different game and genre.

1 Like