Blizzard Finally Broke their Silence on the DF Crafting System

They literally are fixing this part in 10.0.5. Complaining about it now is like going into the pvp forums and complaining that DHs are OP or solo shuffle leavers should lose MMR too.

1 Like

Idk about “better” but at least it was functional and you didn’t have to read an online treatise published on a third party website to know how to work with it. It doesn’t matter how “good” something is if no one knows how to engage with it and no one ever ends up using it.

1 Like

Heck, I’ve yet to see an online source by a third party that makes any sense of this system at all, beyond what I can already figure out on my own. I looked at wowhead and other places before I spent points, and I still feel like I went in blind and now have a harder time progressing than I would have if I’d known more.

Show me when and where they said they’re fixing knowledge or anything else about the crafting system for that matter? By the time they get around to it, if that time ever comes, it would be meaningless because by then we would be swimming in knowledge points. All we’ve gotten so far are empty promises about something potentially being done at an unspecified time in the future.

I mean for crying out loud, they had the temerity to say that “there are hundreds of orders going through the system” yeah no kidding, it’s orders people are putting on their alts so their mains can complete them!

Blizzard are in total denial about how dysfunctional the crafting system and what a mess the entire expansion have been so far.

2 Likes

crafting sucks period.

Please see the post linked below, where they state that they are lowering the requirement on the specialization unlocks. If you will read the section of the post I was originally quoting, you will see that it was referencing the issue where people cannot unlock the leveling specializations in specs until their skill level is maxxed if they choose the “wrong way.”

Yeah, I don’t know. On one hand, I appreciate them taking the time to communicate and to try to do something more interesting with the old stale profession system in the first place, even if the results aren’t great. On the other hand, the lack of details is disappointing, and so is the failure to address the common pain points. It would be nice to hear something about

• The huge gap between people who hit the ground running on day 1 and/or made “creative use of in-game mechanics” and those playing catch up.

• R2 - R3 crafts not being viable due to higher rank crafts being available much sooner than expected, making leveling up a profession much harder after week 2.

• KP allocation issues - be that mis-assigning points, undervaluing the all important inspiration or speccing into something that turned out to not be in demand - and ending up with a “bricked” profession for weeks due to KP caps or renown reqs.

• Public order system being pretty much DOA. Yeah, there are some orders coming through, but you have to sit at the crafting station all day refreshing the order page to have a shot. They kind of touched on this, but barely so.

I guess it’s wait and see.

2 Likes

I never said that it wasn’t.

It’s still terrible.

Are you talking about this:

• All professions have had the requirements to unlock specializations reduced. Professions with 3 specialization trees have had their final unlock reduced from profession level 100 to 75. All professions with 4 specialization trees have had their final two unlocks reduced from profession level 75/100 to levels 60/75.

That solves nothing. What they need to do is allow us to respec as a bandaid measure while they work towards removing knowledge entirely and going back to the way crafting used to be.

All they had to do to make professions viable was allow crafters to make powerful crafted gear that is BoE so they can put it on the AH and players can buy it. All of the current nonsense is a convoluted mess that serves no purpose but to frustrate people and waste their time and gold.

But since there is no way they will ever admit that the entire thing was a colossal blunder nor revert the multitude of other things tied in with DF crafting like sparks and primal chaos, the very least they could do is fix the item quality debacle. Either remove quality from the system altogether or lower the skill requirements and allow minimum quality to be selected for public orders.

All the solutions are beyond obvious and staring them right in the face. Whatever the reason they’re refusing to implement universally demanded common sense changes you can bet it’s not because they don’t know how to fix. They just don’t want to probably due to stubbornness, pride, and the nakedly obvious desire to turn crafting into a major gold sink in equal measure.

2 Likes

50k?. good god my dude.

My experience exactly. I’ve completely given up on it and when I spend any time thinking about how disastrous the new system is I get annoyed and don’t want to play. Presumably not the player experience Blizzard was going for…

5 Likes

Totally agreed on all points. I was disappointed to find them not addressing the uneven gold rush. Some professions are clearly more beneficial and lucrative than others. Some sub-specs are unclearly (ie. You can invest incorrectly with ease) more beneficial and skill-advancing than others. Some crafters have far more substantial of a foothold, either through professional advantage or exploit.

The other thing I wish they’d address is the idea of sale orders in addition to purchase orders. Other games with similar systems allow for them, and it’s puzzling to think about why they’re avoiding them. It would solve a lot, and just “waiting for things to settle” will only help the rich get richer.

Professions are better now. I hope Knowledge is here to stay. Ain’t no way I want it back the way it was before.

Sparks are fine, they are becoming uncapped. Primal Chaos should be Bind on Account. Knowledge Points should have a catch-up mechanic.

Item quality is fine. Inspiration and the way it interacts with Work Orders is the biggest issue there. You should be able to accept and craft a Public/Private Order but be unable to send it if it isn’t the quality required. Thus allowing Inspiration proccers to keep attempting till they hit 5* or else the order fails in 30mins. Let customers add additional materials that a crafter can use for multiple recraft attempts but don’t let the crafter recraft if the item has hit the specified minimum quality to stop Resource proc fishing.

2 Likes

Betaflight is awesome :crazy_face:

Making the best phial recipe only available to heroic and mythic raiders is also lame af.
Forcing people into content they don’t do is also lame af.
Creating a kp system that forces you to craft for points with about 5k in mats is also lame af.
Having to have alts send work orders to your other toons to complete the weekly is also lame af.
Shall I go on?

7 Likes

They’re not fine and they are not becoming “uncapped” they’re about to become rare drops from all types of content like Legion legendaries. The one (1) thing from Legion no one liked they brought back but everything else we all want they’re keeping in past (dang that rhymes).

No it’s not, it’s quite literally at the root all of the problems affecting crafting.

Why would you double down on such a horrible system and make it even more complicated? How would people know how much extra mats to send for recrafting? If you don’t send enough the crafter won’t be able to get it to 5 stars and if you send too much you’ve just wasted a ton of gold for nothing.

The system is so inherently flawed there is no point in searching for workarounds. It needs a complete overhaul or it needs to go.

1 Like

Dont knock it. This kinda wording is what gets someone promoted, along with being the person in the all white straight board who advances the idea, “hey, lets make a quest that suggests there are gay characters such that we can show our fans how inclusive we are as a corporation.”

1 Like

Truth be told this seems like a very canned response.

While the crafting system itself I enjoy, I greatly despise the order system.

They’re not fine and they are not becoming “uncapped” they’re about to become rare drops from all types of content like Legion legendaries. The one (1) thing from Legion no one liked they brought back but everything else we all want they’re keeping in past (dang that rhymes).

Uncapped is uncapped. All sparks will be sparks and can be used as sparks unlike Legiondaries which had a chance to be a Legiondary you didn’t need. Furthermore Spark gear’s availability is catch up for alts. Every alt will be able to get 5 Sparks quickly when they hit 70. The player base, in aggregate, is going to see far more Sparks being used for Orders.

You also don’t speak for me. Keep your “everything else we all want” to yourself. Your opinion is not everyone’s opinion.

Why would you double down on such a horrible system and make it even more complicated? How would people know how much extra mats to send for recrafting? If you don’t send enough the crafter won’t be able to get it to 5 stars and if you send too much you’ve just wasted a ton of gold for nothing.

You send as much as you are comfortable with sending. I’d just buy the mats of the AH, then put the extras back on the AH when the deal was done. Mind you, I also use Public Orders for all my Spark gear without any issue so far.

Ideally Blizzard will make it easier to see how much skill/KP a crafter has as Crafters lying about their Inspiration to fish for Resource procs has been reported.

Wrath of the Lich King is still running if you want to return to the days of profession yore.

1 Like

You mean you don’t want to bring back the powerful Legion legendaries or the Legion artifact weapon traits? I was not speaking about the crafting system or making a general statement, I was speaking specifically about Legion as an expansion. I have yet to interact with any player who doesn’t believe Legion was one of the high points of WoW and certainly had the best variation of the borrowed powers system. Legion had but two issues (1) the random nature of legendary acquisition and (2) the artifact power grind getting out of hand. Every other aspect of the expansion was far superior to anything we’ve gotten since. Meanwhile DF is one giant eyesore of an obviously rushed expansion and the crafting system is right up there with the talent tree revamp as the prime example of that.