Blizzard does not want to get rid of the bots

In all fairness, Blizzard isn’t Blizzard any more.

4 Likes

Most for-profit businesses, even the small ones, are in it for the money. If they focus on making a high quality product, it’s usually because they hope it will make them more money. And large corporations are beholden to their shareholders, who truly only care about a return on their investment. If executives make decisions that result in less money than could have otherwise been made, they will get fired. So they really have no choice in the matter.

True, that’s the point of being in business (mostly).

That’s because high quality does not always drive high demand to compensate for the price tag, but thing is, High Quality of service is why people played Blizzard products in the past. The fact that you did not need to content with a deluge of cheating bots and hackers was kinda the point. It sure as heck was nothing to do with balance at the point of a needle or anything because they sure did not achieve that.

blizzard actually gets paid under the table by the chinese mmo farming companies. all blizzard has to do is say they are doing something. they can keep taking these monthly $75,000 payments from GONGSHENG SHENZEN GAMERGOLDHAPPYFORYOU and such. like what are we gonna do? audit them? lol

I dunno what games you’ve been playing but it certainly hasn’t been Blizzard games. Bots and hacking have been a mainstay of online games since literally the very very very first Muds. It certainly was prevalent in Diablo, WC3 and Vanilla Wow to say the least… (How long did people dupe items in Diablo? Heck there was a stretch where people were doing it in Vanilla even…)

Not to mention I played Vanilla,. I never bought gold and I’ve always been smart about my accounts. And I would get my account hacked every other month… as would most of my guildies. And when you got it back, you’d be naked with 0 gold until you petitioned to get all those restored…

I’m not saying they couldn’t do more… but let’s not act like MMO’s or Blizz games in particular have ever been a shining example of integrity.

For quite a long time actually, Diablo was a special kinda hell.

They were using the enchanting trainer in Uldaman to dupe items, and it lasted for a couple weeks. Blizzard at that time said basically and I paraphrase here “anyone duping items will be banned” And they 100% made good on that warning, I know 2 people who got banned for duping in Vanilla.

Players in Vanilla did cheat and bot, but the punishments were harsh, swift and permanent. I have a friend who was banned for “glider botting” that was the one that people used back then to farm apparently. Any way, he did get banned it took them 2 weeks before he got caught and his ban is flat permanent, so he made a new character and still plays but no longer cheats or bots even to this same day. So I feel like that it worked, permanent bans were effective from my vantage point.

When you think about it, permanent bans that require the player to both buy a new subscription and a new copy of the game (vanilla wow), that was actually worth their while to ban players permanently like that, because the players did come back and play again. Now days they don’t, im sure blizzard has its reasons, but that is what it is, and that could be something to do with how the game is now and the “hold” it has over people is much weaker?

Its impossible to really know for sure how things actually look with out having access to all the data, so I can only point to what I saw first hand.

Well, if 20% of the accounts are bots 21% will have to quit or boycott for Blizzard to more permanently address the issue?

If pservers start growing fast again, they can cite not having bots as an interesting defense, or better yet, enhancement to the IP that could give them more leverage in negotiations.

bots == paying subs
what good is a compeny if its not maken money?
it be a fail and may as well shut down

Thanks beastmaster. I know it’s Friday bud, but you might want to call a taxi and get home. You’re drunk.

If your going to tell me that bots pay for subscriptions and don’t just buy tokens off the AH your crazy.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/herbalism-bots-plaguing-bfa/6981/28

I dont know if I feel comfortable going into the details on the WOW forums… but I dont actually think its cost effective for botters to buy subscriptions with gold, unless they have more supply than demand.

These guys are farming millions and millions of gold a day lol you think 120k is anything but 3 hrs of farming l??

Its opportunity cost. Assuming they’re able to sell all the gold they farm, they can sell 120k for $20 (hypothetically,) or use it to save themselves money on a sub they could get for… theoretically, as low as $2.

buying token our still cost $$$ our gold is no diffrence

From the amount of money gold sellers could be theoretically making you’d think blizzard would have the incentive to hire a few in game mods per server to monitor hotspots where bots have heavy traffic and just manually ban them but that’d be done already if they actually cared.

There’s no profit in banning bots because there’s no reason to put people on it to ban them. They ban them when they need an influx of money from new bot accounts being made.

Besides the out of control gold prices and scarcity of mats is the players fault. There was layers, layers provided more mats, players cried about layers now there’s fewer mats. The players created the problem, not blizzard.

Besides gold farmers got families to feed and covid hit them hard too.

They literally have mods right now who literally do exactly that. Literally.

I know you’re joking but… I imagine like most online and gaming focused/adjacent industries it was actually probably a huge boon for them.

Everything went up in value since the lockdowns so yeah their business is probably booming. I gamed with some Gold farmers in vanilla. The ones who aren’t bots are just regular people. I knew a couple who sold gold to help pay for schooling, one guy was basically his family’s income. 20-100 bucks can be big for some of these people depending where they live.

Min wage in China is $5-11 per DAY depending on where you live… So yea… $5/hr (hypothetically) boosting in SM is probably pretty solid