Blizzard destroyed the identity of the Horde for this?

Basically, Sylvanas has been terrified of dying again ever since the Val’kyr brought her back, because, apparently, she didn’t like where she ended up.

With the information we now have, about how The Maw super sucks and is where all the worst people go, I think it’s safe to assume that The Maw is where she ended up.

The Maw is also apparently where this super evil Death God is imprisoned.

So, what I think her plan might be is…she goes through all this in order to free the Death God and then gets us to kill it. You know, like we do with every other imprisoned god that gets released when we’re around.

Either way, either from freeing the death god, or by killing him, his prison, The Maw, is destroyed as well. And if The Maw is gone, then she can’t get sent there next time she dies. And neither can anyone else.

Even if we do free their souls from The Maw, that just means they’ll get to go to their proper afterlife. It’s not like it will bring them back from the dead.

5 Likes

Spunds about right though i suspect she plans to do more than just that. Likely become a god or get enough power to have free one ups.

You know given your afterlife is judged via your actions this all seems like a lot more work than just becoming a good person to get a good afterlife.

Preach. :pray:

1 Like

This does do one good thing it means any firsajen that didnt go full evil and tried to be a descent person wouldn’t normally go to the maw. Never liked the all undead no matter what go to hell.

They killed the factions because we’ve killed so many baddies the only thing they could come up with was to go into hell and kill them a second time.

They just needed to figure out a contrived reason to go there.

4 Likes

This might be the best argument to turn off wow and make a new ip

8 Likes

They’re trying to do D&D’s Shadowfell – which is my favorite thing about D&D’s cosmology. You’re right that it allows them to rehash old villains, but it also allows them to introduce new “old” villains. People we’ve never met. Some real dangers.

1 Like

That was cathartic to even read. Good job.

The problem with these sorts of “edgy”, anti-hero-or-are-they-even-that types of characters is that they’re essentially super intelligent, super powerful bullies. Most of us don’t like being jerked around constantly by someone who has a fixed state of automatically being smarter/better that whatever opposes them- it gets old even with straight up villains. Moreso when the person turns out to be, at least, against some “real” bad guy.

To weeb out, I couldn’t stand Lelouch in Code Geas for much the same reason.

I really don’t need another xpac of getting 4D-chessed by a dumpster fire of a character. Though, I suppose, that is marginally better than having one faction openly genocided while the other is turned into playable villains.

10 Likes

If we’re ever given this opportunity I can only pray for the choice to douse it in gasoline before the burning instead.

1 Like

I can forgive all this if we somehow get Garrosh back to the lead the Horde as its military icon.

Not as Warchief. Even the Horde can’t let that happen again. Perhaps as Thralls pet or something bound to the Hordes service.

Garrosh would have been great as the Horde’s top war leader. Not running the place, but the guy the Warchief could point to an enemy and go “sic em”. Leave the government thing to someone else and just turn him loose on the Horde’s enemies

1 Like

Lmao. they destroyed the faction conflict to write a sylvanas fan fiction where she becomes the most OP character in wow lore.

14 Likes

They got rid of the Warchief position, I think that’s the Horde’s way of becoming better. To your point, Sylvanas didn’t make the Horde bloodthirsty, that’s something that cdev have pulled out of their back pocket since the Horde’s inception.

I don’t think you have anything to worry about. Cdev is finished with the bloodthirsty Horde narrative until they need it again, which I don’t think is anytime soon. Everything will get blamed on Sylvanas despite her having a huge amount of support from the Horde, and the Horde will go back to playing nice.

Look they even have Baine posted up in Stormwind to show us how nice and obedient the Horde is now.

7 Likes

Yeah it sucks. This identity crisis the Horde had was merely an excuse to setup this Shadowlands expansion. Despite all the lipservice with the fancy cinematics, ultimately the Horde as a Faction was merely a vehicle to push Sylvie’s personal narrative along to its current state. The Horde “identity” was not as important as setting up Shadowlands, and was only allowed to manifest when it was convenient to allow it to. Which resulted in a situation where the Horde became more culpable with the Burning of Teldrassil than they otherwise might have been.

What’s worse is predictably Blizzard just seems to be “moving on” from the wreckage they have caused. I’m one who’s not outwardly opposed to the notion of a Council System with how truly diverse the Horde has become with the addition of the ARs; but it sucks that its unlikely to get any meaningful development. There are good characters included in that system … its just a shame so many of them are so underused; under-powered; or so underdeveloped.

8 Likes

It feels like the writing team wanted to hastily clear up and defeat a lot of the old school WoW villains which still existed, like Sargeras, the Old Gods, heck even the “faction conflict”, just so they can move on to this outrageous new Sylvanas fan fiction tier lore they have been planning.

7 Likes

The Horde will probably come out of this with Vol’jin and Kael’thas resurrected and Garrosh ignored.

1 Like

At least Azshara is still floating around, but yeah … Sargaras; the Old Gods; the Faction Conflict. It seems apparent now that Blizz has been building up to this Sylvie centric arc for a while, but for them to go to such extremes with it is bizarre. It feels like a Fanfiction. It feels like they didn’t know how to capitalize on the foundation that was already built by Warcraft’s founders, and so they wanted to make their own. On top of this, we clearly have a writing team that does not see the value in World Building; but rather fixates on the outlandish, the spectacle, and the new.

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t interested in going into the land of the Dead. I’ve been super interested in that world since I did the Uuna sidequest; which really did show that the Shadowlands have some serious potential layers. But the methods Blizz used to get us there … they are disappointing to say the least.

6 Likes

Thanks. I hate it.

1 Like

Garrosh died on Draenor(in another timeline). He probably won’t be in Azeroth’s Shadowlands.

Sounds good to me.

The Shadowlands have existed for as long as life has and span the entirety of creation, we just don’t know if it transcends timelines like the Nether.

1 Like