Blizzard Art Directors = Lazy AF

IKR? Like seriously their intern can open the texture file in photoshop and move the hue bar around and call it a day.

2 Likes

They’re not thinking outside the box, nobody is and that has been the issue for 3 expansions.

1 Like

The strategy seems to be to starve players for content.

Remove the word art and you are correct.

Welcome to video game design since the beginning of time…

There’s even a female satyr in one of the artbooks! Instead of that, Legion got a basic default Satyr model that’s actually a female but looks like a male because reasons.

And need I remind you, Legion was the last expansion to have an incredibly large amount of art assets, including tier sets. Laziness was not the reason why female satyrs weren’t used. A beancounter clearly said no.

Funny enough, I’m pretty sure I read that the senior artist that provided us with the incredibly popular glasses cosmetics did it as a passion project. That same design also no long works at Blizzard due to the events of the lawsuit.

It’s not the artists fault, there is probably a lot of untapped passion they want to dive into, they’re just not being provided the budget to do so.

1 Like

Blizzard cheaps out on any model it can get away with not having a “female” variant of.

There’s half of a female Broken Draenei model in the files, untextured and without a head, for instance.

Unleash the artists!

Imagine working for a company where your ideas are shut down because those resources is somebody else’s 2022 BMW down-payment.

This or worse, imagine working where you’re told “We will pay for your big ideas with a bonus”, get your idea turned down as frivolous, company turns around and adopts your idea and calls it their own.

1 Like

This is why Blizzard should have never been a submissive bottom to Activision. Horrible mistake IMO.

Warcraft was always about recolors. It’s fine by me. Though I certainly won’t protest difference in design either.

Nah, Blizz ain’t lazy on art. They’re lazy on game design.

2 Likes

It’s even worse when you look at the new druid forms - they didn’t even bother to recolor them, it’s just the same models we already see all around Shadowlands (and two from Legion for some reason). So they flipped a bit to allow it to be a druid form without any additional work and passed it off as this amazing new feature.

Activision will literally do the smallest possible amount of work they can while getting people to keep paying into the system. This is what happens when you have a corporation whose board members have never actually used nor care about the companies product and whose only interest is in maximizing profits instead of paying attention to quality. These people come in, squeeze every dollar they can out of a franchise so they look good to investors, and then they bail out for another company when it becomes clear everything is about to fall apart due to their actions. Then they’ll repeat it all over again at the next company - each time looking like a hero for increasing profit but never sticking around to pay the piper for the destruction they’ve wrought.

1 Like

Used to see each class get their own mog in a raid. Now its done by cloth, mail, plate… Youre right. Theyre to busy changing paintings to fruit so do something we all want, mogs…

1 Like

Idk most of the T20 recolors look awesome.

Imagine 2 expansions from now a recoloured Mighty Caravan Brutosaur. Or better yet, a recoloured 2008 Blizzard Bear, but for the 2022 Blizzcon. Since you know? Resources and stuff. Point of the story, leave nostalgia alone! As a “creative gaming company” there should be consistent creativity. Personally, I do not mind recolours, but add layers to it; make it pop out more, make it look interestingly different with a “nostalgic vibe.”

Oh I like the t20 recolours and I feel it’s a good inclusion into timewalking, especially since it lets me fight those mage tower bosses again (i was always sad you couldn’t rematch them once you finished the quest, they were fun imo) but that’s an exception.

They bragged something like 45 mounts in 9.1 when it’s more like 10 and a bunch of recolours, and every raid set being just different between armor types instead of class really bothers me. I mean damn, Sanctum sets are literally just recolours of the legendary pieces we already had! Shadowlands has been terrible for transmog. Even with the covenant sets I’m pretty sure Shadowlands has by far the least unique non-recolour transmogs out of any expansion. It sucks for a transmog collector

however its not laziness on the part of the artists.

1 Like