Blizz going to do anything about the priest tree?

A high level, substantive post would be great! So very welcome, even if the actual changes were still down the road a bit, and it would do a ton of good.

But a short post basically saying “we’re working on it”, which is what the quoted poster basically alluded to, wouldn’t cut it at this point.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, right after Blizz cast Power Word: Update, the priest dev cast Dispersion.

8 Likes

With the recent dk update, wich was long awaited as well… I’m kinda hopeful that we’ll get similar threatment… but oh well, my prefered alt is being geared up if I ever need to abandon ship :man_shrugging:

1 Like

That might be the opposite problem: priest is hard to find an interesting choice, especially on holy or shadow.

Jumping to an alt. From what I can see I felt overwhelmed with choices glancing at the shaman tree, like I might want to change my build for every dungeon or every fight and I’d feel bad about all the choices I didn’t take.

I’m sure there’s a real psychological phenomenon re: feeling bad about too many choices, right?

1 Like

I dunno. Will depend on the dungeons themsleves maybe.

My take on maining something is more related to how fun the specs are for the types of content that I play.

I usually offspec to dps as well, because some of my friends are healers too and we switch things up so that everyone gets to heal if you will.

So i need to have a fun healing spec and and fun dps spec. Shadow is fun in ST scenarios but I find it quite boring in m+.

More options is just more fun I feel but more often than not, there aren’t all that many options for a specific type of content.

We’ll see I guess. I haven’t given up on priest yet :slightly_smiling_face: always fun to play an alt for a bit of freshness and help you remember what you miss about your main when you’re not playing it :slightly_smiling_face:

Things to consider…

If work on the Priest class is actively being worked on… Then one of the following I think would happen…

• Nose to the grind stone and really digging in deep and making a lot of changes. Not ready to share with community yet.
  • A line of communication with plenty of back and forth to understand the issues and really get a clear idea and goal in mind in order to create something truly grand and accepted.

If work on the Priest class is NOT actively being worked on. Then one of the following I think would happen…

• No communication as nothing to say
  • Communication saying they will work on it but clearly haven’t taken the time to do so yet.

So if its one of those 4 options, the result seems like a higher probability that no work has been done. This would be even more evident with the rumor of the Druid / Priest dev on the out.

Then if we consider the idea that a new Dev or an existing Dev is being pulled over to work on Priest… then I have to ask, why hasn’t that dev opened up a line of communication? Either this Dev is a superstar and knows exactly what to do (which begs the question why was this new Priest Dev NOT already assigned to Priest) OR the new Dev needs a crash course in understanding what the Priests issues are and what it needs to overcome said issues.

In Either case, it seems highly unlikely that they are working on Priest ATM. But if by a small chance they are, then the chance of the design to be GOOD is quite slim since we have no open line of back and forth communication and if that’s not required and the Dev knows what they need to do, then they should have been the Class Dev in the first place.

So basically… we boned imo lol.

3 Likes

To be fair, they released a decent update for DK 4 days ago that really seems to fix a lot of issues in their class tree AND unholy tree. Which I feel were in a similar situation than shadow priest (albeit class tree wasn’t as bad)

DK also got an early release of their trees and really little communication since then. Blizz released a good chunck 4 days ago that turned a lot of things upside down.

I remain hopeful that priest will get similar treatment.

I don’t. As indicated by past 2 expansions of Shadow design, the success of one spec’s design is not indicative of another’s. What is most important is having a designer who has a vision, and has the passion to make that vision a reality. As it stands Shadow is lacking in that department, and has for years.

Priest is an afterthought class. Time to move on to the cooler more hip classes like Shaman, Monk, Paladin.

2 Likes

I’ve got a few of those ready in case it does feel lackluster. This guy’s my fifth main so been there done that… I’d prefer to keep this guy as my main but it’s always a good idea to have multiple options :slight_smile: I’m not too attached to one particular class. I’ve seen my share of bad decisions with my favorite specs over time :man_shrugging:

so much for better communication …

2 Likes

Yeah they’re going to increase Renew healing by 5% and PoH healing by 7% when Holy becomes unplayable in the face of vastly superior healers, and the giga-turbo healer that Evoker is about to be.

Shadowpriest will see Mind Blast damage increased by 8%, Mind Sear damage increased by 25% in 10.1, all 9 players still playing Shadow will rejoice. It will be the 3rd time in 3 expansions the spec has been thrown into the gutter and forgotten.

Disc atonement healing simply isn’t worth the effort in a post Spirit Shell world. It’s foundationally limited in larger raid sizes due to the atonements being limited at around 20. The spec plays terribly in M+ and always has. The ramping is just too significant for a vast majority of players, and until they address that, Disc will always be a niche spec that booms and busts depending on the strength of Spirit Shell.

Holy going back to a renew/PoH style of healing is why the class was the worst M+ healer in the game for 4 years running, and if they don’t include Flash Conc in the tree, it will remain a dead spec.

Shadow is completely DoA and Blizzard has shown they’re going to work on Priest healing far before Priest DPS. I wouldn’t be shocked if it wasn’t playable until 10.1.5 or 10.2.

Honestly? I’d hope for the best, but I’m going to try to have a Shaman ready to go. I gotta admit though - I’m still a little surprised that a day 1 launch class is being ignored this much.

3 Likes

Yeah, I don’t think we’re terribly worried about the numbers. That’s actually become a nasty habit of theirs ever since WoD to “fix” priest specs by making one ridiculously OP ability as a band-aid and calling it a day.

Not sure what other people were expecting but I was hoping with the new trees it’d feel more like a single priest class again with a few interesting choices to make outside your own tree that could really shake up the core gameplay. Instead holy, disc and shadow are still on entirely different planets, the tree is largely a snooze-fest of fake choices and 1-2 interesting talents, and there are far less interesting choices than there are even now with covenants and legendaries.

Like, jeez, if they’re not going to improve anything they shouldn’t remove stuff that already exists in Shadowlands.

2 Likes

They have to have SOMETHING though. That’s the issue. Give some thing. Anything.

were about to become irrelevant pallys getting a brez, immunities, 15 second interrupt, and blessing of summer. rip healer priests.

They really need to get a grip already on balancing healer utility, especially in M+.

wrap it up bois we had a good run. rip priest gotta roll out the red carpet for the golden boys. so they can stomp all over the meta for another 3 expansions.

1 Like

At this point, to believe Blizzard is secretly revamping Priest trees, all the while seeing constant posts on Priest, General, and Alpha forums begging for communication, and still just staying silent just makes absolutely no sense to me.

As if there is some dev back there working hard on this. Seeing posts every single day about communication. And they’re just like “heh heh heh I’m gonna keep them all in the dark until I unveil this masterpiece!”

Especially in this game. Where the community constantly HOPES things that never happen. For over a decade.

What do you think the most probable outcome is?

4 Likes

Well, Ion made it a point of saying druids and priests “deserve better” today, so who knows… it’s not entirely inconceivable that there is a dev or two working on this but simply doesn’t have the media training to be cleared to do any PR and frankly Blizz was distracted by 100 other things… they have a long history of ignoring healers in general and we are a healer-heavy class.

I even wonder if there is any easy answer to build a single class tree for holy, disc and shadow, a pure healer/hybrid DPS/healer and pure DPS… and even holy and disc have drifted so far apart on a mechanical level. If we’re not allowed to divorce and have to share, they should really really give thought to why holy might want shadow stuff in some cases and why shadow might want to dip onto the holy side under the right circumstances, and not just “boost your DPS at the expense of healing” or vice versa.

There’s obviously going to be some major tree revamps because otherwise we would have just seen incremental updates each week. Shadow will likely see most of the attention.

3 Likes