Blizz did a bot ban wave a few weeks back, then a boost sale?

Basically, the botters weren’t coming back and Blizzard made a decision to give them a discount in hopes that they would return.

This is World of Warcraft folks…

4 Likes

I bought a boost too, Defiance. Players buy boosts.

Players do buy boosts. You’re correct.

And I’d wager that 95% of the people who were interested in buying boosts bought them prior to this sale.

You can only purchase one. Unless you’re buying a new account, like a botter would have to do.

It’s not a complication equation. Most players interested in them already have one. Therefore this feels entirely targeted at botters.

I mean come on Kumasama, are you really trying to tell me that there haven’t been hundreds if not thousands of players coming here to complain about how they manage bots? I’m talking specifically about how they wait three months and then do a ban wave, only for the bots to reappear a week later thanks to boosts? I’ve seen numerous people highlight how this feels like Blizzard is specifically monetizing bots.

They let them farm gold long enough for them to make enough profit to afford a new account and a new boost when they eventually get banned.

So they did a ban wave, except this time around the bots didn’t return in full force because the game is struggling and there are likely a lot less people purchasing gold.

Then Blizzard puts boosts on sale?

And you’re going to try to tell me that the two things are completely and utterly unrelated?

3 Likes

It’s not really hard to bring up another account, you just add it to your battle.net, pay 15 and boost.

A lot of classic players already have multiple accounts anyway.

1 Like

I’m sorry mate, but there really aren’t that many people paying 30$ a month for a fifteen year old game. I get that some people do this, I’ve seen it first hand.

They’re a pretty tiny minority of players. Also, anyone willing to do that likely has already done it. If you’re the kind of player that is so into TBC that you want to pay for two subscriptions and two boosts, why would you only do it now? I mean the 25% off the boost is negligible if you’re considering the monthly cost of a second account.

4 Likes

I mean, out of our 50 person roster over half have more than one account. It’s probably far more widespread than you think.

And a lot of people only buy things on sale or they don’t need something but then they see its on sale and they’re like “well, since it’s on sale i guess i will”

If you’re paying 360$ a year to play TBC classic, you wouldn’t wait however many months TBC has been out to buy a second boost just because of what, 12$ in savings from this 25% off sale?

Hell, maybe a handful of players would.

But there are likely a lot more botters taking advantage of this than real players.

5 Likes

People will legit buy things they don’t even need because it’s “on sale”

1 Like

Yeah. I also trust they’re handling the situation to the best of their ability given the circumstances. Those circumstances being that bots only exist because players are buying gold from third parties. Bots wouldn’t be as rampant as they are if players simply followed the rules, but they don’t.

The sale came about as a result of a Phase 2 release. Players who were on the fence or who haven’t boosted are now incentivized to take advantage of Phase 2 content by boosting a character. That isn’t difficult to figure out.

If anything, we can act surprised about the fact that Blizzard wasn’t greedy enough because it’s still just one boost!

It’s because of Phase 2. There’s no need to over-complicate things.

1 Like

Why? Serious question. What gives you faith in Blizzards ability to handle the bot situation? They literally monetize them by creating a system where they allow them to farm gold for months before banning them.

I think I’ve even asked you this before in another thread, like how does it even make any sense? Do they only check for bots every three months? Or do they sit on reports for months and then do a ban wave?

Either they negligently only check for bots every few months, or they sit on reports that PROVE accounts are actively botting, and do nothing about those reports for months until the “ban wave” occurs.

Can you tell me how either of those options instills faith in their ability to handle the situation going foward?

Whatever you gotta tell yourself to continue supporting these guys…

You are 10/10 Karazhan, 0/3 Mags/Gruul, 0/6 SSC, and 0/4 TK.

What do you need two accounts for? You can’t even manage to accomplish anything on your first account.

Mostly because I’ve seen private servers that have little-to-no bot protection and it’s an absolute mess.

I don’t presume to know how Blizzard handles any of this simply because I’m not a part of whatever team they have handling this. The only thing can acknowledge is the extent of my own ignorance.

I mean, I don’t need an excuse. I play the game and have fun and don’t really worry about that kind of stuff. Like I said, I’ve seen private servers that are overflowing with alt accounts and bots. Blizzard’s servers are as clean as a whistle compared to them.

You’re posting on a level 70 Shaman wearing T4 pieces which tells me you’re highly invested in the game.

So, you’re the one who has to explain why you continue supporting these guys while you simultaneously complain about them here.

2 Likes

There’s a huge difference between playing the game while actively highlighting how Blizzard is screwing their subscribers and playing the game while defending how Blizzard is screwing their subscribers.

That’s fine. Then you should, if you’re being honest, be able to respect those of us who do in fact worry about these things.

It’s not like we don’t have reasonable criticisms.

I wouldn’t care about the boost sale, but it comes after a ban wave, and after the vast majority of people who were going to buy boosts already have. This benefits the botting community far more than it benefits average players.

No one is assuming anything. It’s one of the two options. If they do ban waves every few months, which we know for certain they do-- then what are they doing the rest of the time? They either don’t monitor whatsoever, or they sit on reports that prove people are botting and do nothing about it. It’s one or the other.

So how many ban waves have been done so far since tbc dropped? How many of those were immediately followed by a boost sale? Now since the answer is 1. Let’s look at what else coincided with that sale. Oh look it’s phase 2 release. I love how people have to twist information or data to fit their narrative constantly. Reports of botting do not equal proof. They have to investigate and be sure they don’t ban someone not breaking the rules. It’s probably easier to do in waves considering they just come back again anyways. We have no knowledge of how the do these things. Your just a grumpy child needing attention.

Sorry, but again you’re in full T4 and highly invested. Blizzard seems to be doing something right, right? If you’re being screwed, then it must be the good kind of screwed, otherwise you wouldn’t be raiding Kara every week like the opposite was true.

I try to keep my criticism within my own scope of understanding.

I don’t understand how Blizzard handles bots. I don’t know how I’d handle bots in their position because I’ve never been in their position. I don’t presume to know how to do someone else’s job when I haven’t the fuzziest idea what that job entails.

When I see something like the LFG tool they gave us, I know it’s just Blizzard being lazy. I know this because I’m using several addons right now that are far superior than this tool. I know that if I were working for Blizzard, I would at the very least approach my fellow employees and say, “Hey, players are doing X, Y, and Z with various addons. The least we can do is come up with our own tools to meet or exceed these addons.”

That isn’t the case with this LFG tool. It doesn’t befit an evolved player-base.

No, you are still assuming you know what goes on at Blizzard. In all reality, neither of us do. Or at least I’m willing to admit that I don’t. I don’t know you and so it’s possible you’ve worked for Blizzard and might know what you’re talking about. Even if that were true, I doubt you’d be making a fuss about it here if you were a Blizzard employee.

1 Like

I’m 11/11 Kara, 3/3 Mags/gruul, 0/6 SSC (should be 5/6 tonight, we’re 5/6 on the other team that was focusing SSC, our team was focusing TK) and 3/4 TK. This isn’t my main.

I actually have 4 accounts btw, I use them for boosts and farming.

Post from your main, forum troll.

The answer is NOT ENOUGH.

They didn’t need to do a boost sale, because the game was more popular, and there was enough incentive for the botters to purchase new accounts/boosts without needing a sale.

See my above comments regarding how people willing to spend 360$ a year on World of Warcraft would already have done so. The 12$ in savings is negligible compared to the monthly subs.

I’m not twisting anything, that’s what you’re doing mate. You’re trying to shy away from the reality that Blizzard monetizes bots.

And all of their investigations just happen to coincide on the same day? That’s amazing, and frankly impossible. From a technical perspective.

Basically, they investigate, then they sit on a “proven” investigation until the ban wave occurs. That was kind of my point.

If what you’re saying is true, then you’re basically saying that I’m right… That they investigate and sit on investigations until the ban wave. They allow people that they KNOW are ACTIVELY botting to CONTINUE botting… And you just acknowledged that. Thank you for agreeing with me.

You’re*

Yes, and now I have to repeat myself; there’s a huge difference between playing the game and highlighting how Blizzard is screwing us, and playing the game and defending it like what you’re doing. It’s night and day.

Also I have Tier5 shoulders, they just haven’t updated on the forums. I’m not trying to say I’m not invested, so I don’t know why you’re going back to that point.

Am I playing retail? Nope. Blizzard of 2021 are not doing anything right. They can’t even release fifteen year old content without absolutely butchering it with microtransactions and allowing bots to flourish.

The only reason I can even enjoy the game is because they re-released an old version of it before it was completely destroyed by greed.

And here I am, having to argue with kids that support the greed that destroyed retail and pushed most of us to play TBC.

I don’t know the precise details either, but again, you don’t need to. It’s basic math dude. It’s just… common sense. Like try to use your brain here for a few minutes. Think it through. As the other guy I’m responding to said, they have to investigate things right?

So please, hear me out here… do you think Blizzard hires 10,000 people once every three months to spend one day investigating all of the bot reports? No one in their right mind would believe that. It’s insane… In reality they have people actively investigating this, likely a team dedicated to it. However, for whatever reason, they don’t just ban them the second they have evidence— they wait and do a “ban wave”. The “ban wave” part is 100% provable. We know they do this.

Because we do know certain things. We do know that they do a ban wave. Therefore we can speculate on logistics. We can talk about what would be involved in a ban wave. Like the other fellow said, there needs to be investigations etc etc.

So you spend 700$ a year on World of Warcraft minimum. That’s amazing.

Go back to retail where you belong. I have no idea why you people are here playing TBC if you just want to recreate retail with all the microtransactions.

No, my wife also has 4, so more like 1400

And we’ve actually quit retail, it’s getting pretty bad over there.

and I kind of have doubts about this statement, as I come to the forums maybe once a week to air my grievances.

And you’re here responding to me every single time I come back. You live on the forums dude, as highlighted by your 3496 posts. Almost like this is a job for you or something.

If you enjoy the game so much, you would likely be busy in game, enjoying it. I mean hell, I’m constantly pissed off with the game and I’m only here once a week.

I work at home. I can’t have WoW open on my computer at the same time, but I can keep my browser open. So I occasionally reply here when I’m not busy doing regular work.

I enjoy it.

2 Likes

I have 6 accounts. on 2 separate battle.net licenses.