Blind accessability and the social contract

Hi all

More and more blind players are coming to wow. One of the roadblocks to getting in game is accepting the social contract due to the lack of accessability on the character screen, using OCR also doesn’t work to accept it.
My request is that the social contract is made acceptable in other accessable formats, either through the Battle.net app or through email.

8 Likes

This doesn’t affect me personally but I can see how this would be frustrating when trying to play the game. I’m curious, besides the social contract, is there other popups/situations that are causing frustrations in terms of accessability? I hope this is caught as something to be investigated for a fix in the short term and not something the community has to come up with for work-arounds.

Maybe the social contract just needs to be injected as a download prompt, your suggestion of Bnet/email or a different way that accessibility options will pick up vs the current iteration.

1 Like

This may just be me being a totally dumbdumb when it comes to this, but wouldnt a simple text to speech with a build in voice command with “I accept” and “I decline” be a thing to solve this? (If its even possible)

Yes it would but TTS in wow doesn’t cover the character selection screen. It is in the desktop app and in game but this point in between is left out and something I’ve been advocating for over a year now. OCR is a tool in 3rd party screen readers that essentially pictures the screen and tries to make navigation possible on text, it doesn’t always work.
3rd party screen readers don’t work with wow due to it not having keyboard navigation, another thing I’ve been advocating for. Keyboard navigation is possible once in game but this is due to a addon and not native inclusion by blizzard.

Currently wow has its own tts engine which is great, the major issue is that most accessability beyond tts comes from addons. I have advocated here several times for the native inclusion of the accessability these addons bring. The native inclusion is greatly needed atm as the developer of keyboard UI has seemingly disappeared, without keyboard UI this game will become unplayable for the vast majority of wow players who are blind or low vision.