Binding Shot Nerf

Update: This nerf has been cancelled. Binding Shot will not break on damage in 9.1.5.

Original post Binding Shot has been nerfed significantly in 9.1.5. It will now break after the target receives just 25k damage. This is a major nerf to Hunter utility in M+ especially for MM which does not have a stun. Please consider making this nerf only apply in PvP because as it stands this makes it effectively useless in M+ as it will break within a second.

This is really concerning. The usefulness of Hunters in PvE has declined throughout this expansion as our damage, utility, and especially our survivability haven’t kept up with other classes. Windwalker Monks and Mages are now better than us in M+ in just about every category. Balance Druids and Fire Mages outclass us in raiding. We aren’t the class that can afford these kind of nerfs. We NEED Binding Shot to be as strong as it is right now to remain relevant in M+ or we need some compensation.

17 Likes

I’d rather it only apply to pve tyvm.

3 Likes

Believe it or not, I will have to agree with Bepples. I do not run marks, but in the NTA build this helps as well. In M+ the utility with Binding shot can help gather and keep mobs in place to get damage on them. If it now breaks with small damage, and 25k is not a lot, it will effect ALL hunter specs, in PvE or PvP.

2 Likes

Binding Shot, if it is going to break from damage, will be mostly a defensive move, a chance to run or take one free shot. As it is, we have time for TWO free shots.
In a group effective use will be defensive, a slow, and only if no one is shooting in that direction. We haven’t had this ability returned to us for long. What is the problem?
My guess; too many free shots.

EDIT :Cancelled? It’s as if objections made by a wide range of Hunters was noted, and upon reflection, it was decided there was merit in what was said, and so… the change was dropped.
Grats and Thanks, Bepples

1 Like

Couldn’t this be fixed by lowering range or duration instead?

1 Like

There you go.
https://ptr.wowhead.com/news/hunters-binding-shot-nerfed-in-patch-9-1-5-root-breaks-once-damage-threshold-324636

Hope you’re happy.
Binding Shot is like half the reason to invite hunters to keys in the first place.
That reason is slowly fading away.

2 Likes

Marksmanship is already the weakest spec of the class, and this class is the lowest on the [WPvP] totem pole. I swear we can’t have anything nice. It was more or less fine the way it was when it wasn’t a stun. People don’t get it that when you’re up against a Marks, you really never lose control of your character when the hunter is doing damage. You might lose control for a few seconds but not adversely. Unlike so many other DPS specs, we don’t get to do our damage for free.

What a way to kill a class. What a way to kill representation. After 6 years, 4 of which I had to do without, I’m just tired of it. I’m sick and tired of people crying and complaining, and making excuses for why they can’t beat the WEAKEST class/spec ever. We were just now able to try and get some new rep going in the rated endgame.

I just now retired today from WPvP, hopefully forever. I did some soulsearching and decided I don’t want to keep doing it. The way things have been going, the way they’re about to go, and other interests are pressing me on elsewhere. I don’t have much in the way of regrets; Legion and BFA was still the dark times that I emerged from and that’s not changing for anything.

But everyone else gets to use their defensives OFFENSIVELY. What really burns me is that if you’re rooted by Binding, you’re not completely helpless. You can still act and do things because it’s just a root, and there’s classes and races that can easily get out of roots without trinket. I have used Posthaste-Disengage one time when an enemy Hunter had me in a Bind.

WHATEVER!(speaking to our detractors) Least CC, least defensives, least self-heals, and for Marks, we HARDCAST most of our important abilities. We don’t get to do jack-all for free for longer than a second.

I wouldn’t bargain for that without lowering it’s already-long 45 sec cooldown.

It still remains to be seen. Best-case scenario, we would be fluffy luggage who can still shine as one-trick-that-is-damage ponies.

5 Likes

Update: This nerf has been cancelled. Binding Shot will not break on damage in 9.1.5.

3 Likes

HALLELUJAH!

But I always thought Binding Shot was supposed to be a regular root from the beginning. Magical too, which means anything that dispels can break it as well as other handy root-breaking tools.

Not to overreach or anything, BUT look how Blizzard repented from a change like this in a little less than two days. I think they are far more capable of repentance than even this, and it’s a beautiful thing…

(clears throat)

1 Like

Cancelled? It’s as if objections made by a wide range of Hunters was noted, and upon reflection, it was decided there was merit in what was said, and so… the change was dropped.
Grats and Thanks, Bepples

1 Like

This is also why I believe RSV is winning. Blizzard is noticing the inherent failures of MSV. Legion’s MSV was a DISASTER (impersonating Trump) and SV has only gotten stronger in its ranged capabilities. I’m glad that after some 6 years Blizzard is listening to us, or being sensitive to our considerations.