BG Conquest points motivates the wrong behavior

Yeah, it’s definitely silly to AFK out because of tiebreaking. But that’s why I said “horribly” against them. i.e. if you look at dmg/heals stats after that, and things look grim. Or you tab through your teammates and 4 of them have 100k health pools, and the enemey has mostly 200k+.

(*side note: was in Battle for Gilneas last week and 2 people on our team had less than 100k health. One still had 2 or 3 pieces of Legion gear. I whispered them, as the entire team yelled at them, to do WQ’s/Dungeons/visit the AH for gear. Or at least do epic BG’s where they were 2.5% of the team, not 10% of the team *)

I don’t AFK out of WSG after the first cap, exactly because of tie-breaking. I play defense and stall and try to see who enters the BG to replace the people who leave. Let’s say 3 people DO leave, the next 3 that enter might have good gear and be good at PvP. And you get the next cap – and then the tie-breaking rule pays out.

Well we also have far better scaling right now.

Do you think they are mutually exclusive? It is possible to enjoy pvp and enjoy earning gear in the process. It does not have to be one or the other.

4 Likes

Think you missed his point. It’s the PERCEPTION players asking for something for losing comes off as.

Whatever the “perception” might be, the game-theory implications of not offering an incentive for effort, time and/or narrowness of loss has the actual effect of what we see now: no reason to stay in a long loss if you are time-limited, since PvP gear (poorly rewarded already by the current method that doesn’t let you address worst-in-slot issues) is very relevant to doing good damage/healing/surviving in PvP.

2 Likes

Well I am ALL for going back to honor/conquest gear sets and vendors. The quitting problem certainly didn’t exist to the extent it does now. The game right now is in a mediocre state without people bailing, with it’s starting to suck and people need to realize their role in that. Blizz needs to realize their big role in it too.

3 Likes

I just wanted to mention I completely support the idea of 6 man RBG’s and even BG’s…

But one thing I wonder … is why do streamers have their webcam on their streams? I guess I just think of it like “I came here to watch the game, not someone’s face!”

I guess I can see why the “gamer girls” do it, since guys tend to gawk and throw money at them, but Is it mainly because of the reactions people have? I guess I just find it awkward people I can’t see are sitting there looking at me. And then the fear of “What if I forget the cam is on and people see me pick my nose or see my mom come down into the basement and yell at me to do the dishes?”

I don’t get the whole streamer thing at all. I’ve got friends that think it’s the greatest thing since Wonder Bread, so I watched a bit, you know, give it a try before judging, and I just don’t get the appeal. For me it ends up being some d-bag I care nada about, saying unfunny things, playing a game I play myself…:woman_shrugging:

The only thing I love more than opening/completing a loot lottery box/quest and getting an item that I don’t want. Is watching someone else open/complete the same box/quest that I just did and the same exact thing happen to them.

So I can vicariously experience the disappointment twice as often.

5 Likes

Where can I find someone lose arena games in the 17-1900 mmr rating to experience the pain again and again?

1 Like

See my glass is half empty when I think of it that way. I think of it as the complete opposite.

It’s one thing I’ve always hated about PvE. Finally killing that one boss you’ve been wiping for the last hour or so on, not getting it and then seeing some Blood Elf Paladin who plays Ret as his offspec get that weapon, and it’s titanforged with a gem slot while everyone is like “Grats man!”, and then never play the spec again after.

I find that the personality traits that make for popular streamers match up pretty well with what I find most annoying in the social behavior of others generally. I guess the audience finds those traits endearing, or entertaining, or relatable, or something.

1 Like

Oh yeah, took the words right outta my mouth. I tried 2 streamers, Asmongold and Sodasomebody (I guess they’re popular?), and it did nothing but take me right back to the dudes everyone hated in high school type of feel lol. Trying way too hard to be witty/sarcastic/trash talking and failing, to compensate for a severe case of social ineptness.

1 Like

My worst experience with loot wasn’t getting something I didn’t want (which happens waaaAAAaaay too often). It was getting something I really wanted.

When the weekly CP choice was a trinket, I ran to the vendor when I got my 500 CP. I picked the Gladiators Maledict. I noticed I hadn’t looted the chest (which I didn’t realize from last weeks 500 CP at the time), so I went right to the chest to pick up my loot there.

Maybe 10 seconds elapsed between picking my trinket and getting the chest reward. And the reward was (you know already)…the Gladiator’s Maledict.

No problem I thought (keep in mind, I quit WoW for 3 years and started again in August 2018), "I’ll just return this to the vendor since you get an hour or two to return purchases. I’ll get the Gladiator’s Safeguard instead) I went back to the PvP vendor and (gasp) saw no such option.

No problem (thought the guy who hadn’t played WoW in 3 years), “customer service is always really good when you explain things clearly, and don’t abuse it by asking for them to fix your mistakes every week”.

So I opened a ticket.

The most annoying thing in the 3 game-masters I talked to in a back and forth of e-mails over the next week(until they closed the ticket without fixing a damn thing) was they said “the developers want your choices to matter”.

I said, “I’m a returning subscriber, who didn’t know you could no longer return PvP gear during the first hour if you haven’t equipped it – I want my money to matter”.

Honestly, if I had picked the chest first…if I had gone (facing the vendor and chest) left to right, instead of right to left, no problem. The two items were obtained within 10 seconds of each other. So the only “choice” that mattered was right-to-left-instead of left-to-right.

Some of the dumbest customer-non-service ever. And effectively a waste of 500 Conquest Points.

This is why you don’t let the developers handle customer service.

2 Likes

Always open the chest first if you can.

Oh, I know now. I just found it poor customer service that the developers took it out of the hands of customer service. I’m not the only returning customer who didn’t understand how the chests work. (I only recently realized the one in the Proudmore Admirality room is for raid/mythic weekly drops).

When I quit, those mechanisms didn’t exist. Which is why I thought customer “service” would fix it. I explained to them at length, I thought I could return PvP items not equipped within the next hour. I explained that I picked up the items 10 seconds apart. I explained I would never never never never do it again (CP is too hard to come by). I explained I was a returning player who the whole “weekly chest” rewards was a new thing.

You know, so they could do…customer service.

If the developers really won’t allow them to fix those sorts of mistakes, it’s a really really bad edict. Not good for the game.

1 Like

Uhhh, yeah, which is exactly what you were pointing out? My choices matter, I know it, I need it fixed? That’s very jerky on their part.

I heard the other day a popular gm/dev response has become “You think you know what you want/need, but you really don’t…”

1 Like

DUDE THE SAME THING THAT HAPPENED WITH YOU AND THE MALEDICT TRINKET HAPPENED TO ME!

Happened to me last week. I was slacking and got my conquest done late night on Monday going into Tuesday because I didn’t want to miss out on the chest. Go ahead and figure since the one I already had was 385 and I’m getting 400 ilvl now to get it for more extra OPness. Even gave me a little Leech on it!

Next day, go to my chest, hope for something useful… BAM … 400 trinket. Talk about a “ARE YOU F-- SERIOUS!!!”

1 Like

Have had similar. It sucks so bad.
Chest piece from Ivus. Chest piece from PVP chest. Chest piece from Conquest. Chest piece from Darkshore box. All at same time.
Why say choices matter when we don’t get to make any? :frowning:

4 Likes

agree that slot machines definitely provide zero player agency and zero player choice

just a shortcut dev system to make acquiring loot take longer, while also training players’ minds to the gambling mindset

2 Likes