BfA screwed Gilneans/Worgen

That’s called playing a standard Human.

1 Like

That’s not entirely true. I believe there’s several other colored variants that fit the regular human but it’s likely a separate model. I’ll go roam around Boralus to see if I can find one with that particular style of long coat.

Edit:
https://i.redd.it/c84walb4ksh11.jpg
Double edit: I think it’s dumb that the Kul Tiran heritage armor isn’t Kul Tiras’ colors, but instead a weird sort of Alliance blue/yellow.

5 Likes

It is definitely based on Genn’s original Legion model, you can still find it in the Gilneas starting zone, so yes I would say the armor is Gilnean looking. And I like the Worgen heritage armor for what it is, like how we have the part that wraps around our back and shoulders like Genn’s coat does. I wanted that so bad so I am happy they gave us that. But like you said, I wish we got a trench coat.

The thing that I find interesting is in Worgen form the heritage armor looks like what Genn’s armor looks like when he is in worgen form (he doesn’t have his long coat), so why didn’t they give us a long coat while in Human form the way Genn does? It couldn’t have been that hard could it? So in Human form we have a long coat, but when we transform into worgen form we lose the long coat like Genn does and have the armor like it is now.

Thank you for posting those! That easily could be the regular human version of the Kultiran heritage armor. And agreed I don’t like that the Kultiran heritage set isn’t their flag colors… the same way the Gilnean heritage set isn’t their flag colors.

Seriously, the Gilneas flag is grey with bronze and red… I suspect both are just Blizzard’s way of forcing the Stormwind Human agenda on the two other “human” races. LOL.

I feel like Thalyssra, Lor’themar, Liadrin, and Valeera got decent showings hordeside and are more stable than the other character rosters as they didn’t end up dying or leaving while giving everyone the middle finger. I’m kinda miffed they brought out Rexxar and Voss from their previous hands off positions cause they needed known names. Rexxar especially feels ooc. But tbh I need to quest more through bfa so I could be wrong.
But you’re very right Void Elves need development and lore really badly.

I think they do. The Gilneans speak with a British accent and are known as the 2nd/3rd strongest navy after the mother country gave them independence. Now Gilneans are no longer in the game as shipwrights and naval power, but lore wise they were just behind Kul’tiras and Lordaeron. It was the Gilneas navy that settled the lands of Kul’tiras.

We see that druidic ways merged with the native Drustvar. They also carry many of the same customs as an industrial society. Well before Gilneas collapsed it used to be the #1 industrial country amongst the humans.

Now it’s Stormwind/Kul’tiras as industrial centers for the humans. Gilneas lost much of their cultural themes as OP noted, but we can’t pretend that Gilneans and Kul’tirans share much of the same cultural roots/values/isolationist tendencies.

I hope they build on their common heritage as parent/child or sister nations. Like how the USA has a special bond with the mother country UK.

1 Like

A lot of my points in the OP could have been avoided had Blizzard done this from the beginning. Having the Gilneans be front and center as important figures in bringing the Kul Tirans into the Alliance it would have been better. Have the Gilneans play a part in the Drustvar story, helping the Kul Tirans fight their monsters as the “monsters” they are as Worgen.

Instead it is mentioned once that Kul Tiras was settled by ancient Gilneans and then never brought up again. They just stole the Gilnean themes and aesthetic and Blizzard said that was that. Sadly, I feel this may have been intentional as they want to fade the Gilneans out and have them just become part of Stormwind.

1 Like

our flag during one of the anniversary event was literally just a stormwind flag with gilnean lamps, i think they grabbed it from the garrison

1 Like

That’s the new Gilnean flag that they used for the Heritage Quest too. Behind the NPC that gives you the quest she has the flag that has a dark blue with gold trim and the Stormwind lion head on it. Apparently that is our flag now because we are nothing more than Stormwind lackeys now.

God Blizzard needs better writers for Worgen/Gilneans.

3 Likes

This would be neat if it came with some self-reflection about what makes a monster, and how far you go before you lose yourself or when others consider you indistinguishable from the ones you’re fighting. To make it sound cheesy, if you’re going to be hunting monsters as a worgen, the first monster you should tackle is yourself.

6 Likes

they very much do, they need to stop shoving stormwind onto us.

4 Likes

Which they easily could have done by having us fight the mindless worgen who are too far gone and can’t be saved. They lost themselves to the animal within.

3 Likes

Take it a step farther and make a couple of them ones formerly “in control” but weren’t really as stable as they thought they were, and ended up succumbing to the stress of killing their kin. Or maybe you watch one fall in real time. I think things like that would help blur the line between civil and wild and really highlight how dangerous the condition is, as well as really punctuate that it’s a lifetime issue.

Edit: I think this would also serve to help reverse some of the perception that the night elf ritual was a permanent fix, if this was someone who should have successfully gone through the procedure successfully.

7 Likes

Most of Blizzard’s plans with Gilneas centered around making Gilneas City an Alterrac Valley level Battleground with house to house fighting.

The failure to implement that pretty much scotched any further development.

2 Likes

That would have been cool, but that was 10 years ago when Cata was released. They should have had a backup plan when the realized that wouldn’t work, and if they didn’t then they should have come up with something to do with it and further the Gilnean story.

As it is now the Gilneans are in limbo and were stuck squatting in Teldrassil, and now are just homeless in Stormwind. That is a failure on Blizzard’s part.

3 Likes

At least Teldrassil was beautiful though and the Night Elves did grow that tree for them in Darnassus. I just wish they expanded more on the wolf and man duality aspect. I don’t know, could even have some of the druids teach them techniques to control their more primal urges/instincts.

4 Likes

The backup plan was to move onto the next thing.

I mean they should have had a backup for Gilneans instead of leaving them in limbo. And like I said, it has been 10 years in which they could have done SOMETHING for the Gilneans and yet they haven’t… other than making them lose their home a second time and are now homeless in Stormwind’s streets.

Only to bring them out so blizzard can play Kick the puppy to mock us worgen fans

This game can only be improved by having less “human” leaders. Make Tess a worgen already.

3 Likes

In lore, They are only in the other dimension because Malfurion put them there.
They were Night Elves who couldn’t control themselves.

Yeah… And everyone complains about Varian getting favored by Goldrinn…
But it’s TOTALLY different and TOTALLY OK when it’s “human potential” so long as it’s not Varian… :roll_eyes: