BfA screwed Gilneans/Worgen

Doesn’t Night elf worgens predate gilnean worgens both in lore and in first appearance in game?

I love Gilneans and their culture as well, I just wish for more options really.

1 Like

I love the idea of the gilneans returning the favor, and the city is plenty big enough to accommodate both races. Plus the land the gilneans own outside of the wall.

first appearance in game i believe was that they came from another dimension and were featured heavily as cursed villagers of pyrewood and shadowfang keep

2 Likes

Technically yes. The Nightbane worgen in Duskwood had Kaldorei worgen in it, as did the some of the ones we saw in Silverpine Forest in Classic WoW. However, Pyrewood Village was all human worgen, although they were a “special” kind of worgen in that they weren’t bitten and turned, Arugal put magical shackles on them that made them turn into Worgen at night.

…at least you don’t sparkle?

(offers conciliatory jerky treats and belly skritches)

1 Like

The Worgen Heritage set is kinda crap, yeah.

The Druid stuff… well, it’s disappointing, but the reality is that before BfA Blizzard didn’t really imagine Druids as existing outside of the Cenarion Circle. Even Worgen and Darkspear Trolls are both in the same boat as having tiny amount of their own culture as a lead-in to druidism, but past that it’s just ripping off Nelf stuff. The Kul’Tirans, like the Zandalari, have the advantage of being totally separate from Cenarius with a totally separate history and set of traditions.

It would be nice if Darkspear and Worgen could both distance themselves from Cenarius and focus on building unique Druidic identities.

Personally, I’m never going to agree that Tess should become a Worgen, but that’s because I generally prefer more diversity on this point. I don’t like the traditional Tolkienian notion where every nation has to consist of a single race. The idea of Gilneas having both Humans and Worgen as citizens is, to me, a huge plus.

4 Likes

The thing is, the Worgen Heritage armor isn’t that bad, I wish it wasn’t as fancy because not all Gilneans were fancy nobles. But I like the armor when I am in worgen form, I just wish when we were in Human Form it had a long coat like Genn’s. Cause when Genn transforms into worgen form, his long coat disappears and his model looks the way our Heritage Armor is which is cool, so why couldn’t they have given us an actual long coat like he has while we are in Human form? That is all I wanted.

But the Druid thing I am actually okay with Worgen druids having the same druids forms as Night Elves because they are supposed to have learned about the forms from the Night Elves. However, I want them to expand on the Harvest Witch aspect, that is what is missing. What are the “Old Ways”? There is so much to explore there and they just don’t.

And I only wanted Tess to become a Worgen because she will be our new racial leader once Genn dies (Which I expect in Shadowlands). How can you have a non-worgen leading the race? But I do agree, I like the idea of Gilneas having Human and Worgen, I just think the curse should be something that many Gilneans have and see as a strength.

4 Likes

I would love it if Worgen got their own Druid forms. Cat form could be Wolf Form and Bear form could be Dire Wolf form. Make a quest about the Wolf form from ancient Nelf times and have Worgen learn how to do it since they already have to manage their own “curse”.

6 Likes

Indeed, they would need to explain why Worgen can control it whereas the Night Elves, even Malfurion couldn’t. Maybe something like Goldrinn grants them better control?

Personally I like the idea of their Feral form being a wolf, and their Tank form being just their regular Worgen form. To me that would be cool.

2 Likes

Having Goldrinn involved is a great idea!

There should be an option in human character creation to choose a voice set. Stormwind, Gilnean, and Kul Tiran-- and share in those races’ heritage armors as well.
Just cut out the dialogue about being a werewolf for the non-cursed Gilneans.

4 Likes

If they did this though they would have to make it so that you can ONLY do the Exile’s Reach starting zone as it would be weird to have Gilneans or Kul Tirans in the normal Human starting zone.

Also the Kul Tiran heritage armor would have to be remodeled to fit the normal Human model as it is only made for the fat Kul Tiran model currently.

Otherwise I agree it would be a cool little feature for them to add. I also like this because in a way, it would separate Worgen as their own separate race more as well. As the Gilnean Humans would have the human racials while Worgen have their own.

1 Like

Agreed - and likewise, there’s no real reason not to do the same for the Kul’tiran model. It’s not like Stormwind wouldn’t have big people too.

Disagree on that because the Kul Tiran model isn’t them just being fat Humans, they are bigger because they have Drust ancestry. Stormwind Humans wouldn’t have that.

1 Like

Is there an actual source for that? It always just seemed to me like the product of this forum’s desperate need to find a phrenological reason for every little model detail.

5 Likes

Just looked up something real quick, but you seem to be correct. Apparently Blizzard said they wanted the Kul tirans be bigger basically for variety reasons, it had nothing to do with the Drust. Interesting. Still seems weird that they would be so tall, but whatever.

WoW had thin, average and chunky male human models in alpha, but they were discarded in favor of a single one at a certain point. (Google “WoW alpha human models.”)

Kul’Tirans always just seemed to me like an adaptation of that original intent. Plus, there are extremely thin humans in Kul’Tiras as well, so the idea that they’re just generally bigger doesn’t hold up.

1 Like

They never bluntly say it no, but a good conjecture case can be made that as the Thornspeakers broke from the other Drust and intermingled with the humans they decided to teach there could of been some mixing of bloodlines there.

Blizard’s actual explication is they wanted abnormally large musclegut monster hunters that beat up krakens. I am pretty sure as such it is a case where they had a rule of cool moment then never tried to backtrack and justify it with an actual lore reason so the community has tried to make one.

…we do that a lot, tbh.

3 Likes

My biggest complain may have to be the Heritage Armor Set. Instead of cool Trench Coat. You just got a normal noble coat. It’s like is that really Gilnean?

Plus I wish BFA had the Worgen and Night Elves launched a landfall attack in the southern part of Lordaeron where they reclaim gilneas and made the land better.

Just a missed Potential.

2 Likes

Never saw High Elves or Void Elves much in the spotlight since it was mostly Humans and Night Elves also Forsaken and Orcs.