Better buy your SSDs now for your upcoming upgrades

Chia coin is gaining interest

Instead of mining with GPUs, the creator of this new cryptocoin figured out how to mine with high storage and fast speeds hard drives/SSDs

The coin isn’t available to buy/trade yet but when it’s time, you bet they will go in shortage real soon.

Grab a 2tb ssd or two before this coin hits the market

Oh great. What’s next, mining with ethernet cards?!

Thanks for the heads up, will definitely grab a couple.

1 Like

I wouldn’t panic over SSDs just yet. OTOH, if you’re planning on building a NAS anytime soon, better get those IronWolf HDDs now.

In this case, endurance (TBW) is equally as important as speed, so consumer SSDs aren’t the best choice for mining due to their lower endurance, and running these operations will significantly reduce the lifespan of an SSD. Hence, the target for these miners is primarily hard drives and data center SSDs.

I got crapload of SSDs. Not buying any soon.

Oh, some new PCIE 4.0 SSDs on sales. PNY CS3140 is one of them. Its not cheap though.

This literally makes no sense… there is no CPU on a SSD drive no intelligence it’s just a storage device it’s not like you can run your computer FROM your SSD it’s a place to store data that’s it.

I think the article you have is misleading… GPU and CPU are the only ways to mine… maybe the WAY they are mining data requires faster storage but SSD can’t initiate program instructions.

1 Like

I’ve been reading about what he posted to see about the mechanics behind it and how true it is. It seems like you’re farming plots with storage space, not mining. You can start here:

Exactly what I said STORAGE

Proof of space can be thought of as a way to prove that you are keeping some storage unused on your hard-disk drive. Users of the Chia blockchain will “seed” unused space on their hard-disk drive by installing software which stores a collection of cryptographic numbers on the disk into “plots.” These users are called “farmers.” When the blockchain broadcasts a challenge for the next block, farmers can scan their plots to see if they have the hash that is closest to the challenge.

So speed doesn’t matter any disk will do . . . . from that link. Therefore SSD is not going to be affected by this at all… since speed is not the main concern…

1 Like

Power consumption might be a factor. Hard drives use more power than SSDs. And if demand for cheap SSDs goes up, the pricing goes up across the board.

I wish I was still back in college and didn’t have to worry about an electric bill. lol

imagine people stocking up on ssds full of bitcoin data worth more than their weight in gold lol

1 Like

Hmmmmmm, like these? 50TB!

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X
Icegiant Prosiphon Elite
Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Pro Wifi
Pick a brand 8GB DDR4-3200 X2
GT 710 1GB DDR3 (plug into PCIE X8 slot)
PNY CS3140 2TB X1
8TB NVMe X6
PCIE x16 Hyper M.2 card (M.2 slot X4) X2
PCIE x8 M.2 card (M.2 slot X1)
NZXT C650
Phanteks Eclipse P500A or Fractal Design Meshify S2 case

1 Like

Hard drives make more heat and take more power than SSDs do, Sata or M.2 SSDs, that’s why I said they will go out first before hard drives because less demanding in power

Less money spending on electric bills the better income