(BETA) Dragonflight Priest Talent Tree Feedback Thread

Because its magic.

As a spellcaster I should have full range of the magic I wield. If another priest decides to limit and restrict themselves to one type, so be it but that shouldn’t restrict the option for others to do differently.

wouldn’t be the first time lol

1 Like

Agreed. That’s why the Revamp in Legion was both Pointless and causes further issues. Shadow Orbs both worked well and was simple. But Shadow worked well in Wrath before Shadow Orbs became a thing as well. I wouldn’t mind a return to either model.

Agreed again…

It would be a lot more “acceptable” and just make sense if the Priest class rally behind that of the “Angelic” theme and abilities.

Shadow Identity

One thing that comes to mind that is both evident in our current abilities and can be in our theme is the aspect of Death or more specifically, the angel of death… or rather the Archangel of Death.
This is when I think of Malthael from Diablo and his becoming the Archangel of Death. Still an Angel, but using death magic. I think this is what the shadow priest identity / theme should aspire to. This will then make sense from an ability and lore perspective to have similarities between each spec.

Alright lets replace the void by shadow everywhere and renove the tentacles effect.

You’ll still be there with your broken shadow spec… who cares if it’s void or shadow. It doesn’t fix ANYTHING… :man_shrugging:

Not saying that in the slightest. I’m saying the 2 are not the same.

And yet, shadow still exists in the world without void. Warlocks and rogues are prime examples of use of shadow themed spells that have no strong connection to the void. Hell, one could argue that domination magic is shadow aligned magic that isn’t connected to the void.

Firstly, it doesn’t have to be ripped straight out of disc or holy’s toolkit, new things can be created but you run into issues like how prayer of mending/renew/holy word life and whatever else don’t really even work for shadow because they all take up 2 gcds.

The other side of this coin is that it’s not all about what shadow wants, it’s about what shadow can or cannot give, and a major issue with shadow giving much of anything, is that if it’s “void themed” it feels disconnected from the rest of the class. I’m not saying if it is or is not actually disconnected, but it seems pretty evident by the fact that blizzard hasn’t explicitly made every instance of shadow in the game, much less in our class, void themed, that they don’t want to have void dipping into the healer specs of our class, but they aren’t against “shadow”.

You’re so hard up to just insult me that you don’t even realize you’re saying the same thing I’m saying. Good on ya I guess.

Currently you are never casting void spells as holy or disc, because blizzard doesn’t let you. That, to me, is a problem with the conflicting nature of the void theme.

I want you to be able to cast shadow spells, that function the same as the void spells, but have a more connected theme. That’s more spell diversity, not less.

2 Likes

True, but now there’s less nonsensical thematic restrictions, so you have more freedom to play with things that maybe just feel “shadowy” like spectral guise, that wouldn’t fit a void theme particularly well.

3 Likes

its the anger and projecting for me lol.

they can keep the void theme. they just need to focus in on the glyph system to allow people to customize more.

i’m fine with whatever as long as my priest can step away from the void stuff.

1 Like

So again, just exactly what I’m arguing for but in attack mode for some reason. K have fun on ignore.

Less delusion that I have to deal with.

Love to see it.

If you say so :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

The light is as alien to the void than it is to the shadow… shadow and void are one and the same…

I’d prefer we focus on the real subject at hand, which is fixing our spec problems.

Tyvm

1 Like

He’s right, according to Warcraft lore.

Dark Naaru

Where do you think they land on that chart?

I’m not sure, probably void.

Well Naaru can get drained of energies and become dark Naaru.

They either change their cosmic alignment or they just have the ability to use shadow magic in that state.

But the fact is that they can go back and forth from Holy Naaru and Dark Naaru.

Imo, that’s more akin to what a priest can do. We have many angelic and Naaru themes that back this up well before Legion with all old god / void with shadow.

1 Like

Nowhere does it says that opposing forces cannot switch to the other side.

Dark naaru is a rare occurence but we have other examples of such conversion like sargeras switching fron order to chaos.

Your basically just saying that a light that is being drainrd of all light becomes void…

Class tree shadow idea & a type of silence…

• Darkened Abyss
    40 yard range
    Create a veil of Shadow, enemies can no longer see or target you and your group further than 5 yards for 6 sec. 90 sec cooldown.

• Choking Shadow
    While under the effects of Darkened Abyss, enemies have a 50% miss chance and are unable to help their allies further than 5 yards.

Points of note:

• Base version is like a better version of Mind Sooth but it’s an AOE.
  • From the enemy perspective, it would looking similar to how Kil’jaedens choking shadow phase where it’s all black and you can’t see much in front of you.
  • From your groups perspective, it would look something like how the Assassin from D2 Cloak of shadows effect is where the sky slightly darkens and the enemies have the smoky / shadowy curse like effect above their heads.
  • The Choking Shadows additional talent effect would cause your enemies to be able to buff themself with heals or anything of that nature, but they are unable to do the same to allies.
  • can be used to skip pacts in dungeons similar to the mass concealment that rogues can do.

So basically you just hit it and within a 360 degree radius around you (like starfall) it will cause a darkened effect in the sky and on your enemies and making them unable to see/target you beyond 5 yards and loose target if you are (like feign death) and they have 50% chance to miss if you are within 5 yards and they can’t help each other if they are beyond 5 yards.

Tweak the numbers and/or effects.

But I think that would be a cool utility for priests.

But it doesn’t become an old god.
We can have darkened themes that revolve around a centric unifying theme of “Angelic” or “Angels”.

You got Bastion with the good angels and the bad angels… the dark angels “forsworn” as an example of how you can have both light and dark and it makes sense for both to exist as one.

I don’t know about pointless. I remember a lot of people being pretty upset about the spec back in Wod too. And post-legion rework into BfA. I still remember people being upset about how void form interacted with focused burst windows. Most these reworks happened at a mechanical level, not just to shoehorn a theme into the spec.

I don’t disagree, necessarily with what you’re saying about Priest needing something more cohesive for shadow to want other talents.

Where I think I disagree with you fundamentally is that I believe the theme does nothing to fix that. You can theme it however you want - if the spell doesn’t make sense for shadow to take, it’s not going to take it. It doesn’t matter if the priest theme becomes ‘angelic’ overall, if Holy priest doesn’t get a spell that is attractive for a spriest to cast, then nothing changed except maybe visuals are a bit different.

The only thing that would solve the general priest class tree (or at least solve what people generally complain about) is introduction of a lot of new spells/utilities. But those utilities can have any theme they want. They can be about angels, sure, but they can be about naaru and void tentacles too, that ultimately doesn’t really matter when it comes to fixing the problems the spec is suffering from. In warcraft’s lore, it makes absolute sense for a Disc priest to use some tentacle-y void magic, and holy priest already has access to shadowfiends and through the years has been allowed to multispec shadow, so it’s not like it really doesn’t make sense for them either.

The void is part of shadow. That’s what I’m saying. It doesn’t matter if there’s spells that are ‘purely’ shadow themed, or those that are themed more towards creatures from the dark. The void is the absence of light in the Warcraft universe, of course shadow magic taps close to it.

I disagree. Also Shadow has some utilities that have 0 void theming that COULD be used in the base class tree, if it was wanted. The problem would be that removing all of them would pretty much empty shadow’s tree. Mind Bomb, Mind Sear, Silence, and Dispersion would all work.

But shadow is the one spec that is struggling with the base class tree, right now. Moving those into the spec tree does little except create more paths, it doesn’t actually offer them anything interesting they lacked before. In fact, it’s even better for healer priests who would all appreciate dispersion a lot.

So you don’t need void to do shadow, which leads me to…

Yeah, put utility in the class tree, put non void themed shadow themed utility in the class tree like disperse, silence, mind bomb. That’s the whole entire point. Why are they in our spec tree at all when the class tree is supposed to be more focused on utility and the spec tree on gameplay style and throughput?

Now I disagree that shadow is the only struggling part of the class tree. Very little of the right side of the tree is actually that compelling to holy or disc, Mindbender is attractive because it’s a mana regeneration tool, but it could just read “recover mana” and it would be the same, disc and holy really don’t need SFP, it’s weird that it’s even in the tree at all, nothing interacts with anything.

Spectral Guise, dispersion, vamp embrace (if changed to be like every other talent that works similarly), silence would all be amazing to see in the class tree, and if you don’t think part of the reason they weren’t put there is because they are “Shadow spells” and not purely because of balance concerns then I don’t know what to tell you, especially after seeing other trees like shaman and druid.

What are you really excited about taking as Holy/Disc? Bad absorb talents? Mana regen? Feathers?

I cannot emphasize enough that I’m not only focused on shadow, even though it’s the spec I’m most familiar with, The specs need to come together and blizzard seems incredibly hesitant to add “void” spells to holy or disc, but doesn’t have that hold up to spells that simply fall under a “shadow” category, and I think general class theme is a conversation worth having seeing as how every person seems to have a different opinion on what priest does or is.

1 Like

Mana regen is attractive, yes. That is what the skill does. I don’t know why you think your point is helping your argument, because it helps mine. Yes - the talent could just say ‘regens mana.’ and they would take it, I agree. The theme of the ability does not matter whatsoever in comparison to what it mechanically does.

SFP is useful to both Holy and Discipline in M+. Discipline already had access to mindbender and uses it partially for atonement healing, too. So there is merit to it being in the tree. Is it smart to bring SFP back? Probably not - I don’t think it was the right leggo to bring back at all. But it isn’t useless or a non-attractive talent for either spec. The only dead talent here for other specs, really is Crystalline Reflection. I agree that tree’s a weird one to have in the base class. I just don’t know if there’s much to pull from Discipline that you could even put there in its place.

Yes. Mana regen and feathers are great for both. They’re stuff we already had, which is very similar to Shamans. We can’t make this criticism then pretend the shaman tree is oh-so-good, when literally the shaman tree is almost entirely made up of random utility talents that they already had access to in SL, and the choice now is mostly to skip them.

Fact of the matter is that this isn’t true - and mostly doesn’t even make sense. The only ‘void’ thing that holy or disc would be interested in is Mindbender. And it’s in the tree.

They’re not going to give them void eruption/bolt because that’s… mechanically very weird to do. It’s not like Resto shaman is getting fire elemental or the ele version of ascendence. What other void stuff is there? The capstone talents? The only attractive ones would be the left-side ones. I guess they could shove the Y’shaarj idol where SFP is, sure. But we don’t even know how that works, since it’s not working on the alpha, lol.

This seems very questionable.
MoP is basically the expansion that everyone heralds as the best in gameplay as everyone had everything etc.

But Shadow going into WoD had more options but also basically played the same as MoP and MoP shadow was fun, only complaint in MoP was our single target damage was subpar, but with our Halo / Cascade / Divine Star & Mind Sear doing a lot of damage, our AOE was very good.

What WoD gave was a more fluid rotation with 5 Orbs, up from 3 and the choice to go dot crazy with Auspicious Spirits granting orbs or Clarity of Power being the dotless/dot weaving spec.

Some people didn’t like the idea of dotless spec as shadow, and dot weaving was manageable once you got used to it. So I can see a slight bit of contention revolving around Clarity of Power.

Other than that, I played both PvE and PvP on my priest and I never heard any other shadow anywhere in game or forums complaining about how shadow played. We were in the best state with all the tools we ever had and needed. It was a great time.

So I hard disagree with your statement.

Now regarding the Angelic theme I have been mentioning… I don’t know what your expecting. Yes it would mostly be focused on utility. What else do we need in the “class tree”? Not to mention we can have our Archangel and Dark Archangel wing buffs back in either the class tree or in the spec trees. Also, I’ve come up with lots of other ideas that have the angelic tone from cc, utility, cooldowns. We don’t really need DPS buttons and if we do, we can summon an angel or a Valkyrie to help fight/tank for us. Lots of options that work for all three specs.

I picks the angels theme based on past shared abilities, tier sets, current abilities and the fact that we are Priests… it’s a natural fit. From a first perspective look, you would not think of tentacles when your think of the priest class.

1 Like