Best way for a returning player to return

So I recently returned to WoW after a 5 year break (last time I played was at the end of MoP). I logged into my old Hunter and received quite a shock how much has changed. At this point I am really overwhelmed at all the new stuff. So I want to ask what’s the best way for me to return?

Should I make a new character and level them up to the current max level?

Should I just level up my old character to the new level.

Should I level boost my old character

Or should I just wait for Shadowlands?

My character that I was playing before I quit now has a bank full (I am assuming) out dated crafting materials, armor sets etc. Quest in my quest list and I just don’t know what is what anymore. Any advice would be helpful and appreciated.

My advice would be a combination of options 1 and 2. Quests are pretty linear and they will lead you one and into new expansion areas in a pretty seamless fashion. The new scaling means that mobs will generally always be giving you XP but the questing process is pretty forgiving so you can ease your way back into the game in a pretty organic way.

If you boost you’ll be thrust into endgame with a bunch of expectations about catch ups and mythic+ dungeons, etc, etc alongside still being pretty confused about the changes to the game. You can always boost once you feel more comfortable with playing. The boost will sit there essentially forever so there’s no hurry.

You can still sell old mats on the AH and people will buy them. In terms of armor sets, just make sure that they are registered in your transmog library (you may need to equip them) and then you can sell them. You don’t need to keep them anymore.

1 Like

So I just returned and I left during legion. I’m lvl 110, I came back and I’m SUPER CONFUSED…can someone help me

What are you confused about? It’s much easier for us to answer a specific question because otherwise we might be giving you information that isn’t helpful.

I’m a returning player myself, took a break at the beginning of Legion and just came back a couple months ago. I even played for a while before buying the Battle for Azeroth expansion. My recommendations are:

1. Look at your quest log (L). Start doing all the ones that are in there. If you don’t like any of the quest lines, drop it, unless you find out that you’ll need it for a certain achievement or Pathfinder. Doing the quests will re-familiarize you with your character(s), their talent tree, spells, etc. Pretty soon you’ll be back in the swing of things.

2. Check out sites like wowhead and icy-veins. They have tons of guides, including for returning players.

3. Ask here on the forums.

Good luck and have fun!

I just returned after a seven year break and found questing on my original characters worked well to reacquaint myself with the game.

I did have problems with one character, just could not get the hang of her. So I moved her to Winterspring where its mainly simplistic quests allowed me to experiment with more ease and now she is all organized and ready to go.

I am now developing a couple of new characters and having a blast!