Best served cold vs booming voice

Now that more or us have or 4 piece BV is looking like it will have nice synergy with rage generation and dmg. I also think unstoppable force may also be something to consider as the modifier to TC could make for some juicy aoe.

I have yet to try this in m+ I currently run
Devistator
Double Time
Best served cold
Bounding stride
Indom
Into the fray
Anger managment

With double Lego and 4p I’m pulling 10k dps or more on most runs. I will give the latter build a try but wanted some feedback to those who have played around with it w/4p

10k overall?

Booming Voice is what I roll with for rage gen. I used to use Dragon Roar for more snap aggro. Unstoppable Force can work with the revenge conduit and anger management but your damage isn’t going to be more, just moved around from revenge to thunderclap as top damage…

Since crit gives parry, and parrying makes revenge free, I run Best Served Cold instead of Booming Voice. I pair this with shoulders of Seismic Reverberation since there is no good Crit/Mastery shoulders in dungeons. My second leggo is still a belt for the same reason.

I don’t run double time in M+ because in order to get the most out of it you have to Charge → Intervene → Charge again. Intervene is problematic because it will drag mobs to the most vunerable party member (which gets them killed more often than not), and using three “charges” in a row is super janky in key environments (where you’ll be frequently moving through mechanics you’re supposed to avoid).

As for Bounding Stride, well, Menace is functionally required to even have Intimidating Shout on your bar. If you don’t have menace then you don’t have intimidating shout. The only reason you’d use Intimidating Shout is in a panic situation and, if the enemies aren’t stationary, then they will pull more mobs turning your panic situation into a guaranteed wipe.

Lastly, Indomitable Will is (and this is going to be controversial) a bad pick. It’s just not how prot warrior defenses work. Prot Warrior’s defenses are layered RNG. Your chance to parry, and block, and these only work on physical attacks. Not spells or mechanics. This means that an overwhelming majority of the time the steady trickle of healing you’ll receive from Indomitable Will will be either wasted when you don’t need the self-healing (on trash), or absolutely irrelevant when you do (after a big hit). Running Impending Victory instead will give you a huge on-demand heal that you can use to bounce back from an (un)expected burst of damage. Such as from an (un)avoidable mechanic, or an unlucky streak of RNG hits getting through your parry and block.

Best Served Cold all day in M+.

Are you running reprisal? If so double time is mandatory in order to maximize sb uptime and that is critical to our mitigation especially in m plus. It is janky sure however once you improve your charge/intervene skills you can master in no time.

Here are some tips for ya
-Intervene should always be used on cd except when a certain mech calls for it. ideally you want to intervene a melee team member (whoever is closest) so as to not cause mob/boss movement and disrupt dps. I have also found it useful to intervene a party member that is far enough away then charge right back to enemy (this takes a bit of planning) however their is a dps loss so use it in survival situations.

-lets talk about charge, like intervene, charge should ideally used on cd. Now normally we start a pull with charge and immediately after that start looking for any enemy’s that are far enough away to charge a second time (some packs are spread out enough). The other option if you cannot pull of two quick charges when pulling is leaping away then charging back in with the mob/boss ideally not moving. I sometimes will stun n run to charge back in if I’m desperate for sb to be up, this is however a dps loss. This also works on mobs/bosses with casts. One last I will mention Is to take care as to not charge when some nasty aoe or mech is in the path, this takes a practice.

This is false. Menace adds a bit of qol sure but Bounding is going to have way more impact on charges and synergy with reprisal. I can probably count on my one hand the times a IS’ed and a mob ran and pulled. First of all the group dmg is most likely going to instantly break it and second you could use IS during a spear window to guarantee nobody runs.

Now this is interesting, I’d love to see some logs comparing runs using Indom and then using IR. I stick with indom not only because of healing but the hp increase.

Hope this helps

Cheers

The thing is, you’re making an awful lot of claims against what the best prot warriors run en masse while not having keys harder than a 6.

These talents may be fun to play with, but there’s a reason you won’t find prot warriors in the top 100 running them.

Your setup is extra confusing because you’re currently running seismic which is the option for extra damage but your talent setup doesn’t support that ‘extra damage’ mindset at all.

Saying Indom is bad is not controversial, because there’s no controversy–it’s just categorically wrong. There is not a single high ranking prot warrior in ANY content not taking indom. If you need IV over indomitable, this is a healer issue or not understanding SB downtime/incoming damage to either kite or alert your heals that you’re about to take a shot.

War machine is also a worthless talent, I think you get like one extra ignore pain every 90 seconds or something like that from autos the way it works out, lol. The other two provide significantly more dps, and devastator is miles ahead of WM.

Double time is a must-take with Reprisal, and you should be using intervene like OP is.

Menace is actually meme tier talent and you take bounding stride for synergy with reprisal.

Bolster is purely defensive and superfluous if you’re running reprisal.

At any rate–play the talents you have fun with and at a 6 anything will work, but OP is running keys where he will be putting himself and his group at a massive disadvantage to take them.

@ the original question–from what I can tell, this seems to be either based on specific gear or the personal preference of tanks running high keys… I would think BV would definitely synergize better with tier as you suggest.

That said, my crew has had a surplus of tanks (and blood dk’s at that) for a while now and I find raid tanking boring so I’ve been dps for a very long time. I’m very sure a more experienced pwarr in the warrior discord could dive into this with you and theorycraft it out.

1 Like

I’m not running reprisal. It’s a rage management tool. I have enough parry that I always have Revenge!, and that makes Revenge free, which sets up my shield block and ignore pain as my rage dumps. Since my only rage dumps are on cooldown, I always have enough rage to dump into them when they’re off cooldown.

You’re replying to a comment where I explained exactly this already, and therefore don’t need it explained to me.

You just asserted that Charge & Intervene should be used in tandem and that means one will put the other on cooldown. Since you just said you start fights with charge, that means you don’t start them with heroic leap, so the only time you would have an opportunity, or reason, to use Heroic Leap is if you made a mistake that imperiled someone on your back line. If you’re messing up enough to need the speed boost on Heroic Leap, or it on a shorter cooldown, I question why you’re in here lecturing me on tanking.

While you insult me for only doing +6 keys, you neglected to note I have no guild achievements, and PUG’d everything I have. I’ve never been carried and I’ve worked for everything I got.

You literally just did the exact same thing. Since you didn’t even try to justify your claims I’m not even going to legitimize them by wasting my time debating you on them.

Not so much about rage as it’s more about the extra Shield Block + snap aggro with Revenge!

You stagger them in the beginning and then they’re off set allowing you to use them on CD

Wrong. What’s the second half of the part you quoted refer to? Reprisal. You get to Charge in, use intervene as you will, as with the reduced cooldown to Heroic Leap, it gives you more opportunities to Leap out of the group and Charge back in, activating Reprisal.

He did though. You just must have quit reading at the line in which you quoted.

That’s all fine and dandy, but it’s irrelevant. I have no guild, I live the PuG life, and I disagree with your sentiments as well.

Telling you that you’re wrong and you don’t see the side effects of a terrible build because your key isn’t high enough isn’t an insult, it’s just a fact.

Just because you like your build (play it if you like it) doesn’t mean you aren’t making up arguments in support of it. If you were right about anything you were saying, there would be numbers to support it and much better warriors than BOTH of us would be running those talents.

It’s always wild to me when people assert that they work harder than someone in a guild and ‘earn’ things more. If that’s how you choose to play the game, good on you. People play in guilds because they have friends or they want to align themselves with like-skilled and like-minded players, eliminating some of the RNG of pugs. I got KSM in the first month or so of season 2 running almost entirely in pugs and it didn’t make me a better player or someone that ‘earned it’ more, it just resulted in less consistent experiences.

You have created misinformation for yourself (like reprisal just being for rage management) because you have not done enough research into what the best players are doing.

Again, play how you want. That doesn’t mean that people can’t disagree with you when there’s a better way and TONS of data to support why.

1 Like

I haven’t tanked this patch outside of a few m+ runs in season 1. But back in season 1 booming voice was literally just better than best served cold, both offensively and defensively. But that was before reprisal. Revenge! Isn’t a 100% chance to proc anymore, and stacking crit for parry just to try and proc is more is a terrible idea. Reduced gcd and cooldowns from haste will be better offensively and defensively, giving your shield block a higher uptime and synergizing better with anger management. Which, with 4pc, you want anger management for reduced cd on avatar.