Best graphics card upgrade?

I’m looking for advice on upgrading the graphics card in my computer. I currently have an RX 470. Although the computer is older, with an i7-3770, I’ve updated a few things (1TB Samsung SSD, 16GB RAM), it’s running solid, and I’d like to keep it going another year or two before getting a new one.

Right now I’m getting solid 60 fps with vsync enabled on my 23-inch 1080p monitor, and settings (7-8 range) that are acceptable to me. I want to be sure it will handle Shadowlands well, and want to get a card before the majority available are overpowered for the processor.

I have a 600W power supply and either one 6 pin or one 8 pin power connector. I’ve been looking at the RX 580 or the 1660 Super. Price isn’t really the issue; but, rather, getting the strongest card that won’t be bottlenecked by the processor.

I’m partial to AMD cards as the current RX 470 is the second in this machine. It replaced the original card, an HD 7950, when it burned out.

the RX 5600 xt does better than the 1660 super, even better than rx 580 as well

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you know what kind of power connection the 5600 XT requires? And would it be bottlenecked by an i7 3770?

Might want to wait a few months, RTX 3000 series is supposedly just around the corner coming in Q3.

Hopefully Nvidia learns to price drop their older products this time around

Hijacking this thread. I have a ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics.

I’m told that I’m using the equivalent of a potato. What’s a good upgrade for Shadowlands? Hopefully other games as well.

If you want ray-traced shadows in SL, get an RTX 2060 super.

if you’re on ATI Radeon 3000 graphics, your entire system needs an overhaul.

What is your budget, your location, and your current specs? What display type will you be running and what framerate/resolution are you targeting?

On my phone so I can’t exactly tell you. Short story is my current computer is a 1k build offered from our local computer guy (middle aged disabled father) to replace my old store bought computer that was years old. Ideally it would have played WoW the way my old computer did for mop, but I should have done my research before accepting.

I technically have thousands of dollars saved up, but I can’t see myself paying more than a thousand. Hoping to just buy replacement parts rather than ditch my current computer.

I’m not looking to play on the highest of settings. Medium would be great, with a build that won’t be replaced in a couple of expansions.

But I’m starting to think this isn’t possible.

Assuming USD/USA, and you can’t wait for the new stuff to pop out in a few months, and you already have a display/peripherals:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/R9Dq8M

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($289.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($118.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5600 XT 6 GB GAMING OC Video Card ($269.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cougar MX330 ATX Mid Tower Case ($50.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $989.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-21 10:41 EDT-0400

Alternatively you could drop the CPU down to a 3600 and get a 5700xt or 2070 Super. If you can afford it, spending a few dollars more on 3600mhz CL16 RAM would be helpful too, but not end of the world if you don’t get it.

But IMO upgrading your GPU later will be easier than upgrading your CPU later if you decide you need more cores. The 3700x also allows you to have a wider application capability if you decide to stream, render, videos, etc.

The system as I have listed will play many games at 1440p high at 60fps+ and almost all games at 1080p high at 60fps+, and some at 1080p 144fps+

If you are playing on a Radeon 3000 series, I’m going to assume your system is really really old and this will feel like going lightspeed.

I’d also consider upgrading your display at some point. It’s an often overlooked item that makes a HUGE difference in your actual experience.