Best gaming pc build for wow

Hello!

I am in the need to build a new gaming pc to play wow and any other AAA but mainly focused in wow.

I found that wow is very cpu dependant and i don’t know really what would be the best parts to get the best performance.

I am looking to play at 1440p ideally at 144fps “stable” if possible.

i was thinking on a 7800x3d with a 4070 ti super (or 4080 super)

I would love all your opinions and ideas :pray:t2:

1 Like

Overall good build.

I currently run a 7800x3d with a 4080, and outside of valdrakken I’m easily over 144 FPS in 4k.

wow seems to really like low memory latency (which is why the extra cache form x3d is so helpful), so you should pair the 7800x3d with a low latency kit of DDR5 6000.

2 Likes

I think the most important thing will be to temper your expectations. It doesn’t matter what CPU you use, you’re not going to get 144fps in a Capital city, a large Raid, an Epic Battleground, a large-group world quest, or pretty much any situation where you have large numbers of people in the same location at the same time. This is mainly a limitation of the game engine. Throwing more CPU power at it does help, but only to an extent.

For CPU, there really is only one choice at the moment, and that is the 7800X3D. WoW benefits from the 3D cache more than just about any other game except for maybe Microsoft Flight Simulator. So even if the 7800X3D trails other CPUs in other scenarios, you can be sure that it is absolutely the fastest CPU currently for WoW. As a bonus, basically any motherboard that will work with a 7800X3D should eventually be able to support the next gen X3D CPUs that should be released later this year, making for an easy upgrade.

In terms of CPU vs GPU, your CPU will mainly come into play whenever you have large amounts of people and/or NPCs in close proximity, with lots of spells and abilities that are overlapping and interacting. This pretty much includes all of the important content in the game, such as Raiding, PvP, and even M+ to a lesser extent. So bottom line is that your CPU is giving you performance when it matters most.

That isn’t to say that the GPU is irrelevant. But the times when you will be most likely to hit the limits of your GPU are when you are doing things like flying high in the air outdoors with your view distance set to max. Not a lot of character and spell interaction, but just lots and lots of textures, shadows, reflections, etc for the GPU to render. This also applies to a lesser extent any time you are out in the world (daily/weekly quests, etc).

But ultimately, your FPS during raid, etc, probably matters more than your FPS while doing world quests or while flying in the sky, unless you’re doing Nokhud Offensive I guess.

It’s also worth noting that the vast majority of the graphical settings that can be adjusted in settings will take the burden off of your GPU much more than your CPU. So basically, if you end up stuck with an underpowered GPU, you can compensate that by lowering lots of various different settings. If you are stuck with an underpowered CPU, you don’t have many options in terms of compensating for that via changing settings.

The 4070 Ti Super is a good compromise because it has the full 16GB of Ram like the 4080 does. This can really come into play especially if you game at 4K or other high resolution and/or run above 100% render scale. Higher resolutions use more video memory. Once you run out of video memory, your performance will tank.

1 Like

I suggest you take a long sharp look at the available Motherboards for your CPU.
Try to find a board that honestly supports the PCIe 5.0 standard. FIRMLY supports. Lavishly even.