Best Battle Pet to capture pets

So, I started doing old content Pet Battle achievements (Broken Isle Safari) and was wondering what the best pet was to solo and capture pets. So far, the Anubisath Idol seems to be able to solo and capture every pet that I have come across. Is there a better overall pet to use?

Terrible Turnip and Snobold Runt have an ability that will only do damage down to 1hp and can not kill a target. (Effectively, False Swipe from that other game)

While not mandatory, knowing you don’t have to worry at all about killing some pets that took you hours just to find (or force to spawn) is great. The Emerald Proto Whelp is also pretty bulletproof at taking care of everything else that spawns.

4 Likes

I like Grumpy for this too. You can pair Superbark with Howl so you don’t have to whittle the wild pet’s health down with several turns like you sometimes have to do with the Turnip.

Plus Grumpy is very easy to get in Val’sharah.

7 Likes

Well, I have 2 of three mentioned above. Need to track down the Snow Runt. I like the idea of the 'reduce to 1 HP" method. That would make catching a pet so much easier.

My capture team consists of:

• Stinker: I have him as the front pet when hunting for a specific breed. It allows you to keep your team healed up when forfeiting battles without having to resort to bandages and can also help extending the fight when traps keep missing with his self heal.
  • Grumpy: Superbark makes getting the target to low HP very easy, especially when combined with Howl.
  • Servant of Demidos: Any pet could go here really. He’s my favorite option for quickly finishing the fight once the capture is done. Between his magic family ability and Siphon Anima he is surprisingly durable and he packs a punch especially against flying and beasts which are fairly common.
7 Likes

Seconding Grumpy for Howl + Superbark.

I round out my capture team with Feline Familiar, to counter both Flying and Critters (both are very common enemies in wild battles), plus self-healing. And then a Yellow Moth for Aquatics.

I recently recaptured 300+ pets as rare, needless to say I was very frantic about accidentally killing one since fishing for a blue is a pita x 300

I used chi-chi + emerald proto-whelp + feline familiar (good vs the million critters you’ll find) for the lvl 25 pets, had a few accidental kills
below 20, I went with scraps (superbark) + snobold (weakening blow)

1 Like

My capture Team is built according to the target and its neighbors. At times I will want a pet with some type of ‘no kill’ ability. More often I am selecting pets by their ability to counter anticipated attacks. There is a pet that is the anchor for my Team, often accomplishing a solo victory, making a capture and destroying the remnants of the opposing team.
My Champion is: (drum roll) The Emperor Crab! (hereafter referred to as EC.)
EC in PP breed has a 562hp heal on a 3 rnd. cool down and shield blocking 94.5 of all damage per rnd, lasting 5 rounds. Catching pets, its often necessary to sit through several missed traps. Not a problem for the Emperor Crab.

2 Likes

hi i have a foxy magic pet and i trained a dragon one before but cannot figure out how to battle this foxy one level 1 , i put it in the battle pet spot trying to use it with the level 1 pets when battling but nothing happens can you help?

As there is no Foxy pet in the game, I suspect you may be talking about Shadow, that you renamed “Foxy”. It’s the 2017 Charity Pet from the Blizzard Store.

If it is indeed Shadow, no idea why it doesn’t seem to work with your other level 1 pets. Its level 1 ability is Shadow Shock and I’ve never had any trouble with it.

Hoping someone else on the forum can be more helpful.

Could the trouble be that you have no pet in slot 3?

I’m not really sure I understand the question, but looking at their profile it seems they’re very new to pet battles, maybe even the games as a whole.

When you’re battling there will be four slots along the bottom of the battle UI, the first three will be the pets attack choices and the fourth one has a curved arrow. That one will allow you to swap in a different pet from your team.

Your comment is incredibly helpful. Thanks a lot for sharing your strategy.

I used a team of 3x H/H Infested Cubs to capture the majority of my pets. Reason I used them is because they last forever and don’t do too much damage. Not the best strategy but it’s what I used back in the day to grow my collection.

2 Likes

I honestly think you’re better off just using Grumpy. But if you really want the Snobald Runt, may I suggest you plumb the treacherous and forbidding depths of the Auction House?

The reason I’m not enamored of using the Terrible Turnip or the Snobald Runt is that Turnip, despite having a group heal and Sunshine, is a squishy pet. He tends to go down rather quickly. Weakening Blow is not a devastating attack and it will take a few tries to bring a pet down to capturable level. And my Turnip tends to die rather quickly.

Snobald, despite the fact that he has the Humanoid pet’s innate ability, doesn’t do much better.

With Grumpy, it’s just Bark, Howl and Superbark, and your opponent is down to capturable level.

There is one more pet available in Shadowlands, Stemmins, which also has Weakening Blow and very strong healing abilities. I think it’s a better choice than either the Turnip or the Snobald.

But based on what you have now, go with Grumpy.

ETA: While you probably realize this, I feel I would be remiss in not telling you, Superbark and Weakening Blow will not bring a pet below 1 hp. However, this does not apply to your other abilities.

If you are using Terrible Turnip and have a pet down to 1 hp and are ready to capture it, using Leech Seed, Sunlight, Sons of the Root will still kill the pet you want to capture. Weakening Blow can reduce an opponent to a single hp. But it will not prevent your other abilities from finishing it off.

1 Like

I usually use Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling, Emerald Proto, Blue Rocket guy, along with the turnip. If I need to swap something else in, I’ll do that based on what I have that works best for the pet I am trying to capture. (I don’t have any hesitation about surrendering to reset.) Usually I use Turnip if I need a don’t kill attack, but I select that one because I can remember it easily.

Also I usually have a bunch of pet charms to buy the blue and purple boost stones. So pet quality isn’t much of an issue. Grays capture faster, so if it has the breed I want, I will just capture and then stone to rare.

Most pets, I’m not worried about the breed so much. So I’ll just capture whatever, if it is a pet I don’t have and isn’t viewed as being really special in any way. (For PvE or PvP stuff that is.)

Nice thing about the turnip is it has the sun shine cast that raises the max health of all pets.

So the max health goes up while the current health stays the same. Makes it easier to get below the percentage you need to start throwing the trap.

2 Likes

I am really late to this conversation, but Grumpy is my fave for caging pets.

1 Like

Pretty sure Corgnelius also has an attack that doesn’t kill.

1 Like

Corgnelius has Superbark but it doesnt have Howl which is where Grumpy shines. A backup to Grumpy would be Lord Woffington or Miloh. But as those pets are P/P and Grumpy is H/P, that is where Grumpy is the clear winner as the extra HP is far more useful than a bit extra Power when the 2 hit combo will take almost all pets down to 1 HP.

3 Likes