Being able to hide yourself?

And that’s a big problem which can lead to very toxic threads

2 Likes

Except you fail to realize that your definition of “experience” is extremely narrow. You don’t seem to understand that “experience” can encompass people that live in the same house, or the fact that they run the guild and deal with the actions surrounding the content, etc.

Someone doesn’t have to be directly impacted by something to understand it when it’s still close to them and they still deal with it in some form or another.

2 Likes

That’s a cool Sagan quote, but we’re not debating the theory of evolution here, nor giving our opinion on any major scientific discoveries, nor the relevance of horoscopes on our prospective future.

We’re discussing a video game, which is unimportant at the best of times. Everyone gets to have a go on the discussion forums. Of course people’s opinions should at all times be backed by reason and logic, but it also isn’t very logical to purely attack someone’s ideas based on their experience.

Attack ideas on merit only and on the logic and reasoning that they use or you might as well join and be part of the cult of ignorance.

5 Likes

It sounds like you completely misunderstand the quote. It’s also not from Sagan. And no, minimizing how important a video game is in the grand scale of things doesn’t make all opinions about it of equal value. Some of you guys just really can’t accept how informed opinions are of greater value than ignorance. That’s crazy to me that it even needs to be explained to people who likely consider themselves to be adults.

Or perhaps some of us do believe in informed opinions without resorting to armory stalking.

1 Like

Ah yes, you’re right it was Asimov, my bad.

Informed opinions are important, I don’t disagree with that. I’m just challenging your assertion that looking at the limited information from someone’s armory gives you an understanding of how informed they are.

Challenge ideas based on their merit. Are they badly reasoned ideas or is the reasoning behind it solid?

If it is badly reasoned point out what exactly is the fault of reasoning. Knowing if they completed a certain raid tier on mythic is largely irrelevant.

2 Likes

I don’t care about armory and mine on my profile hasn’t shown since the forum change regardless of privacy being set active or not active.
I prefer the privacy active though because I don’t see the need for someone to have an easy list of all my replies, stats of my posts, all my likes, whom I’ve been liked by, whom I talk to the most, etc. If that does hide armory too even when they fix the glitchy-ness then so be it. To each their own. The only person that’s going to be salty is the person that has to taken the extra step to find my armory or use the regular search function on posts which isn’t my personal problem.
As for someone asking for help where it may be helpful, maybe ask them what their gear is instead of getting upset at something trivial? Or, you know, look it up since, as you stated, you can easily do so still.

Informed opinions are obviously of greater value. You just fail to understand that those informed opinions don’t necessarily have to come from direct experience of the situation and can arise out of the indirect experiences.

2 Likes

It’s a bug. None of my 4 characters have hidden profiles, but only one of them has it’s profile viewable in the forums

this conversation keeps being brought back. But before I close I have come to some conclusions.

1. Some people really like the idea of being able to hide their account due to a feeling of privacy.
  2. I still don’t get what people have to hide, it’s all public info about a in game character. It’s not hard to find info and you don’t really have to go out of the way to get your character info.
  3. Raid progress seems to be a popular topic when mentioning this, but I do agree to some extent, there is obvious trolling that can happen, but it is a helpful resource and like I said it’s still not hard to look up.
  4. People still have no idea how to use these new fourms

Conclusion , private accounts really make no sense. There’s nothing to keep private really and nothing to keep people from looking up your Armory cause it’s not that hard. The only people that want privacy are those who are embarrassed by their progress or make obvious troll threads. Which brings me to another topic.

Being okay with who you are. It’s okay to be only progressed in lfr or normal, own it. If there’s a reason you don’t raid own it. Your actions are your actions there’s no reason to be embarrassed by them. You will be called out on topics that don’t pertain to your experience. Things that don’t pertain to your content lfr or normal whatever it may be. Because your opinions on the matter are irrelevant because you don’t do that content, if you don’t want to be disregarded then change the character to the one with the content. Like it or not it’s the way it is.

But thank you for the useful and informative discussion. I’m just tired of it blowing up my feed.

I respectfully disagree with your conclusions.

While it is true that, currently, “it’s not that hard to look up your Armory” Blizzard will soon allow a privacy option there that will block it completely.

I pay to play this game and while the character data generated is “owned” by Blizzard I am not comfortable with people nosing around in my achievements, progression, etc. I am not embarrassed, I just feel it is none of their business.

I don’t like nosy neighbors either. I don’t have anything to hide, but I’d rather they not peep in my windows.

1 Like

Dude it’s a Game. But regardless they won’t. It’s ridiculous to think that way. Why get progress or achievements if you can’t show them off. Obviously there’s a reason you want to be private other than people going through achievements. But I digress this convo will be deleted shortly and as rediculous as it is you can hide your profile and be as much of a shut in as you want

So make a new thread after the old one is capped. Of all the asinine things to whine about.

1 Like

Well

This is what I’ll quote for anybody wanting to hide things. It’s kinda rediculous people want to hide themselves but whatever. I’m done with this topic I cant delete my own post for some reason lol. But will be muted.

There is no message about the difficulty of something like m+ that I would accept from someone like you, for example

…and thats is why exactly? Or are you saying I have never done an m plus? If so, you would be way wrong. Ive done dozens.

So yeah, you might as well make your profile private because it’ll give you just as much credibility as you have now.

Again, and we come back to this, as it may have skipped notice, is that a profile, whilst it does give details on that specific character, does NOT show what one does on other toons…so in short you are basing “credibility” on information you dont have.

A profile does not show and is not the be all and end all of what a person does ingame, m_any achieves are not acct wide or dont show at all._…so really you’re making what could be called an uninformed judgement.

Ill be running H Uldir tonight. But you wont know that, even after I finish…as it wont show.