Beginner Healers for Dragonflight

I’ve been desperately wanting to heal for a while now but I’ve seen how stressful it can be to be a healer. I’ve been told H Priest is really noob friendly but I’m a Horde player and priests on horde feel off to me. I rather melee playstyles as my main is a melee dps but I feel it’d add too much to learn for me to play h pal or mw monk. Currently thinking between Pres Evoker, H Pal and MW Monk. I’m at a loss for which to level since I don’t have much time to play, I’d like to focus on one character for now. Thank you. :slight_smile:

I don’t usually suggest melee healers as “new healer friendly” because it can be so chaotic if you don’t already understand the basics of healing. With your attention split between health bars as well as the generally increased mechanic workload that melee has to deal with over ranged, it can become overwhelming very quickly.

Evoker is also one of the harder classes to learn to heal well with right off the bat due to the range issues, and the unique ways that the class has to deal with that. (Learning how to maximize usage of your movement abilities without causing a wipe due to missing or charging into mechanics)

That said, if you’re okay with the learning curve being higher and are willing to put in the work, there’s nothing wrong with going those routes. Learning to heal is a completely different beast than picking up a new DPS class though, as it’s not just learning a new rotation and button mashing your way to victory. That’s why Hpriest is recommended so heavily when it comes to someone learning to heal is because the class itself is pretty easy to learn and allows you to focus on learning how to heal, not necessarily putting a lot of time into learning the class.

Nothing is fun about playing a class you don’t like though, so whatever you choose just fully immerse yourself in it and it will click sooner or later. In the meantime though, expect some growing pains and a lot of wipes. Good luck! :grin:

1 Like

Have you considered resto druid? It could be a good choice for what you want. It’s probably moderate difficulty for healing, but it has the option for catweaving to contribute melee dps. (There are also builds that contribute ranged dps.) So, you can get your feet wet as a ranged healer, but once you’re more comfortable, there are melee options.

Yeah, wish H priest fit better into the aesthetic of how I like to perceive the horde. Thought about making a sun walker but the holy cow meme isn’t for me aha.

I understand that about evoker too, that’s why I’m very hesitant about that one. If I could, I’d immediately pick that one up but of all of the healers, it seems the most daunting to play and if it weren’t that way, I’d easily pick evoker to have some green fire effects.

Main problem is just the healer anxiety which will get sorted with time. I play for fun because it’s a videogame and I don’t have much time to play anymore so I like to have an enjoyable experience every time, which for me is having a nice laugh with a team and moving on.

I’ve since narrowed pal entirely off the list though, have tried it out in a class trial and it was just a tad clunky for me. Also started considering shaman as an option too.