Been playing for a week and I already want to unsub

I’ve been playing on and off since Wrath. Every time that I sub, I hope that things will be different but I keep being reminded every single expansion why this game is not for me:

The players.

I’m such a fantasy nerd. I love Lotr, Got, the Witcher, Sanderson, you name it. I love the lore, I love the gameplay. But I CANNOT STAND the absolute elitism that every player in this game has. The first week I went in i was a level 65 doing random dungeons and I died doing my first run of the Academy dungeon (got blasted off of the edge) and I got kicked for it and can’t queue again. I would get it if it were like a Mythic Key, a Raid, or even a random heroic dungeon, but it was a normal dungeon run. We had killed the first boss just fine and I died from getting thrown off the ledge and got kicked for it.

All the memories of doing random battlegrounds and hearing people just absolutely roast you for not understanding the game, and berating you for not treating this dumbass video game like it’s a full-time job. I just want to gear up so I can do raid finder runs of Sanctum of Domination so I can get that plate transmog, and work on getting my dragon customized to my liking. But to do that, I have to get gear. To get gear, I have to interact with other players that don’t want to teach, have no patience, and expect you to have mastered this game.

I KNOW I AM NOT GOOD AT THE GAME. I KNOW. I GET IT. I UNDERSTAND. YOU GOT ME. ROASTED. IN MY FACE. STOMP ON MY NECK AND SH!T ON MY CHEST I GET IT.

Granted, this is not a WoW-specific problem, this is a video game problem. Literally, every video game is like this. Don’t know why I bother. None of this is fun. Most video gamers I interact with online are absolutely insufferable. No other hobby is like this. Unless I can find a decent group of players that don’t make me want to gauge my eyes out with rusty forks while playing this game, i’ve officially wasted every single penny i’ve ever spent on this game and this will be the final straw and I will never come back to video games again.

3 Likes

I hear ya, it can be terrible but just keep in mind those other people don’t know you or care about you enough to hate you and you are instead just a convenient target for emotional venting that someone was going to get anyway.

I think the problem derives from the streamlining and quality of life improvements over time where people tend to have a smooth and easy time from the get go and don’t run into major roadblocks until they get deeper into content.

I’m gonna go ahead and suggest jumping into classic and running things slow from time to time, read quest notes, get frustrated by not knowing where to go for quests and inefficiently clearing zones (I was just there getting pumpkins now you want me to kill monsters there!?). It gives you piecemeal frustration training that the current game doesn’t seem to promote.

I’d say world of warcraft missed the evercrack mode and ended up at warcrystal, strong brief high followed by a severe crash and criminal behavior. Come to classic and be a functional altoholic instead!

1 Like

For every idiot in the game, there’s a kind person as well. It can be difficult to find them, but they’re worth seeking out. Try looking for guilds that are social or new player friendly. They’re going to be nicer to interact with by nature. If you can’t find any on your current server, there’s an entire thread here with a couple hundred guilds listed in it.

My suggestion is to get in with a good group of people and then turn all of the unnecessary chats off.

As far as pug group content goes, it never hurts to let them know from the rip that you’re new to the content and learning. It tends to get people in a more helpful (or at least less toxic) mood. It’s helpful to remember that most people assume that everyone else in the group is a veteran, so the reminder to them that not everyone is can be a benefit a lot of times.

That said, if a group feels someone is holding them back, they are within their rights to vote kick that person. The system isn’t perfect, but it is what it is. Running with guildies is the best way to eliminate that potential.

i’ve had the same problem for years, it really helps if you either ask friends or join a nice guild where people are willing to help you or even just asking to join someone about to attempt it thats nearby.

i also switched from just doing dps characters to mostly tanks and im doing a lot better so maybe trying a different class or role would help you a lot too.

hoping you find some better groups though. yikes