Bear Tank Identity Re-design: Concept

I’ve been reading on the forums lately that Bear Druids seem to lack an identity these days.

I have a wild concept that might help change that. It’ll increase survivability, damage, and give Bear tanks a unique playstyle.

I think we should take the Druid back to the good old days of being a true hybrid class. One that can perform all of the roles even in a single spec. We should get back into the shape shifting aspect of the class. Here’s my idea.

If you spend 10 seconds in bear form, you then get 10 seconds of bear form stats (health, armour and damage reductions) outside of bear form. You spend 10 seconds in bear form, then switch to cat form with the same amount of health and armour for 10 seconds. After that 10 seconds is up you lose the health and armour benefits and you then swap back to bear form. This would allow for an on the fly shape shifting playstyle.

This would allow you to either dps in cat or boomkin forms or pop into caster form to heal without immediately becoming squishy and dying. You would simply keep all of the benefits of bear form for 10 seconds. Including your Iron Fur stacks. This wouldn’t be a weird 3-5 minute talent. It would just be the passive core gameplay for bear.

Allowing us to get back to the shape shifting roots of the class. The jack of all trades. An actual hybrid class that performs all of the roles during combat.

It would promote shifting into the dps forms to deal extra damage since you’re not losing out on your defense. (outside of not being able to use Iron Fur/Survival Instincts/Berserk outside of bear form.) You would always have to return to bear form after that 10 second window was up. (Simply to restart the counter. You wouldn’t HAVE to return to bear form if you felt you didn’t want to.)

You could also switch into caster form to throw heals on yourself. This would allow Druids to use their heals without having to sacrifice their defensive stats. This would drastically increase their survivability if they were actually able to use their own healing spells.

Every 10 seconds you would be swapping to a new form to do something different and ultimately returning to bear form every time the buff expires. You would retain your Iron Fur stacks for their remaining duration, but not be able to re-apply it while in your other forms. Abilities like Survival Instincts and Berserk would force you back into Bear form. (You would keep the buffs outside of bear form. Iron Fur would still keep the stacks of armour until the Iron Fur buff dropped off. To re-apply you would have to swap back to bear.)

You would start out in bear form. Build up 100 rage and after 10 seconds dump it all into Iron Fur. Then you could swap to either cat or Boomkin form to start dpsing. After 10 seconds, the health and armour would drop off and you would swap back to Bear. If you needed more survivability you could instead swap to caster form to heal yourself and throw out a few offensive spells. Then back into bear form.

It would be a constant game of swapping between forms depending on what you needed in the moment and it would encourage players to play more offensively since they’ll keep their passive defenses for a short while.

If you wanted to take this one step further, (And possibly be too OP) you could have separate timers for each of your forms.

After 10 seconds of being in bear form, you would get 3 separate buffs that would only count down once you shifted into their respective forms.

So you’d essentially keep your passive bear form defenses for 30 seconds across 3 different forms.

Shifting into cat form would only start the buff timer on the cat form buff and would not affect the caster or boomkin buffs.

So theoretically you could do 10 seconds in bear, 10 seconds in cat, 10 seconds in caster to heal up/cast a few offensive spells and then finish with 10 seconds in boomkin form and then back into bear. Rinse and repeat in whatever order you feel necessary.

(You could even have a separate 5 second timer that starts after your forms buff wears off. If you haven’t shifted into another form 5 seconds after your current forms buff wears off, then you lose all the buffs. This would prevent you from saving them.)

Thoughts? Opinions? Concerns?

Is this silly? Is this too OP? Is it too convoluted and unnecessary?

Would this help with survivability being able to swap out to heal while keeping your health and armour values? Or be able to dps without feeling like you need to kite or you’d get 1 shot?

Would you find this to be a fun game play style? Constantly on the move swapping between forms every few seconds? Or would you rather just stick to bear form all the time? (Pretty sure most bears swap around as it is. This would just give some added protection when you do.)

Would be too hard to play. Need to snapshot all your tank cds and buffs every 10 seconds to change into another class, then snapshot those so you get the dps in bear form. Need to balance scaling between the specs and how they interact.

Sorry but there is no way this would happen, nor would I personally find it enjoyable.

4 Likes

You’re afraid of a challenge?

It would take a very simple, rather boring spec and make it more in-depth and involved. Make you have to think while you play.

If I want a challenging tank to play, I play my monk. Your idea is just too convoluted. Blizzard can’t even balance a simple version of guardian druid as it is now - what makes you think they could balance a tank spec that also incorporates all the other druid tank specs :confused:

2 Likes

Not to be that guy, but that’s not what people play for. That sounds very pvp inspire tbh. People play bear because of the bear. Think of it like Wildshape.

Bears should do bear things.

3 Likes

Yeah, they should do bear things! Like fall over dead in 2 seconds in mythic+! That’s the right fantasy right? Right?? T_T

Theres a difference between challenge and awkward design that makes proforming menial tasks challenging.

I think there is an open niche for bears as a party focused tank with their healing.

Maybe I am overemphasizing After the Wildfire and Dream of Cenarius, but if the former had manual control and maybe 2 stacks and the latter wasn’t so critical to personal survival at times, these things can greatly help a group.

Often in mid keys (~13s) I do just fine, but watch my groupmates drop like flies to some groupwide damage mechanics. I can maybe save one with dream, but I think more like that could be relevant as side utility for bears without overcomplicating their primary purposes: stay alive, control enemies, and react to mechanics. They need to nail the first of those at higher keys first however.

Not great ideas tbh. Way too convoluted and no one would play it.

Just make bear the health sponge it used to be and people would be happy.

1 Like

Personally, I think huge health pools have some hidden problems. Aside from Frenzied Regeneration which is % based, big health pools mean big heals and / or more time being focused by the healer to actually make a dent in your health deficit outside of Frenzied Regeneration availability. It might save you from the one shots, but tanks need to be self sufficient and being able to sustain huge health pools is tricky to balance; can you imagine dream of cenarius healing for 400k on 800k health pools instead of the current 100-200k on 400k health pools?

Well well well.

Looks like Blizz took at least part of my idea. At least the Bear → Cat portion.

Bears like bear things, and the 2 talents you’re talking about as basically just for cats.

The rest of the tree is about mauling, not catting.

/shrug, feel free to play less optimally.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news., but weaving existed long before you posted any of this.

I miss days of dodging EVERYTHING

Hopefully the surging thing gets redesigned. Cats are getting the better shake out of this for sure.

Given the concept it seems they are going for, what would be the issue with just allowing rake and rip to be used in Bear Form?

Essentially take the middleman of swapping to cat out of the equation and just allowing what bears would want out of that transaction to be usable.

Part of me says “it will just nerf Maul’s damage because they would have to spread out the % of total damage across more spells”, but I could appreciate having access to cat bleeds for this spec since moonbear is getting more access to balance spells.

This is what i would be afraid of. Just adding buttons for the sake of adding buttons if they go the route of adding cat abilities while in bear form

Yeah, years and years ago.

Sure weaving between the dps specs or the healing spec has always been a thing. But a bear shifting out of bear form in an M+ means he’s dead.

This changes it.

How?

Maybe if you get a phase where the boss stuns itself you can use it. Otherwise, I don’t suspect it’ll be worth the effort. Even then, it doesn’t look like a dps gain vs just continuing to build rage for mauls.

Adding extra buttons is kind of a non starter imho. They still need to confirm raze and maul.

Were still doing it in Shadowlands. Albeit not very often in BFA. Not that long ago man

Still did it quite a bit if you ran Resto spec with the introduction of Vortex and Typhoon in BfA with Swiftmends and Wild Growths.

And then the kite meta in SL where you’d pop Heart of the Wild and convoke for extra damage.