Bear tank = dumpster fire

Title says is all. I thought the spec update in 10.0.5 might make it better. Nope. Still a dumpster fire.

Just tanked on my warrior. Smooth as silk.

Tanked on my druid - utter garbage.

Shelving my druid now.

30 Likes

Stop exaggerating. Guardian is very fun.

3 Likes

At the same time, there are several bugs. Some of them are pretty major.

TnC, Raze not hitting certain bosses, talent tree a mess, etc

4 Likes

Let us not forget TnC still does not reduce magic damage - unless I have missed a recent fix.

10 Likes

Fun is different from actually being good m8.

5 Likes

I’d argue that point. Most people who post on the forums aren’t having fun unless their spec is in a meta slot :wink:

This being good = fun

But yeah, I agree

4 Likes

I enjoy bear gameplay really. Theres time and room to make calls for the group I run with, and has decent enough utility when mobs don’t totally ignore vortex or incap roar.
The problem to me is survival. There are times that outside of cds, and sometimes during cds I can get chunked for 80% of my hp by some magic ability that we have no real way to mitigate other than heal back with FR or Renewal. IF really needs some kind of magic dr, and/or give us back some mastery scaling so we don’t get clapped by two synced casters.

7 Likes

Ive played bear for 6 years and have had fun for all but really the last season of sl and after the talent rework.

The talent placement in our tree is just horrible, along with the scaling of most of them. For some reason we have a ton of talents in the third row, even our resource generation is in our capstone area for some reason. Oh and we basically are forced to take about 5 2 point nodes.
That and to get a gimped incarn we still have to spend 5 points, while other specs get more cdr on shorter cooldowns and only spend at most 3 points.

13 Likes

If you invested (time & emotionally) years and years into 1 spec/class, and you just dont get into the content you would like to play with your chosen spec/class, than I think its fair to say its not fun.

Last season in BFA I pugged as boomkin up to KSM. I remember going full days whith only declines, that was not much fun at all. (I switched to gurdian not long after that)

Now running around like a big bear, while feeling like a tissue tank, does not bring the word “fun” into my mind

3 Likes

Eeeyup, im basically done with bear probably for atleast the rest of this season.
Once worgen get to be monks ima go brew bit for now im gearing a bdk.
Just no reason to play bear anymore if you want to actually do higher keys.

Just so tired of basically getting nuked all the time because cd or die spec.

3 Likes

I was kinda poking fun at the average forum goer, and not to be taken seriously lol.

Been a feral main since BFA, and still having a blast :slight_smile:

Well feral has gotten progressively better since then. This season is probably the best feral has been in many many years (as long as you dont pvp, pvp feral got nuked).

Bear for some reason, seems to have lost all of its scaling, something happened in season 3 of sl where bears tankiness just stayed the same as season 2 and just hasnt been fixed.

1 Like

Bear isn’t just not meta, it’s far worse than that. To illustrate, check out mythic rankings. All tanks except druids are present in the top 200. Our highest performing druid is 235. We have 6 druids in top 600. That isn’t a meta/fotm issue. That’s every tank is viable except Druid issue.

10 Likes

Should have put a period at the end of this.

Anything after 20s is not important. Tuning and balancing isn’t even considered past that range by the Devs, so I’m not sure why people try to use the top 100-200-500 as a metric.

Up to 20s, sure we can discuss any real issues classes may have. After that, it’s all inconsequential.

Anything anyone does after 20s is simply for fun or for ego. The devs do not design their game with 20+ in mind. It’s just there for challenge and repeat content.

As such, as far as balancing goes, all tanks are viable

I used to think all tanks were viable as well, however after tanking more with my bear there is def an issue. I think one of the problems is that other tanks are mitigating better and healers get used to a certain level of mitigation and develop an expectation. Anytime I PUG mythic plus with my bear the higher key I go the more of an adjustment it is for the healer. Sometimes it takes a few deaths for the healer to realize just how much extra healing the bear is going to need compared to the other tanks they have grouped with. Unfortunately in a PUG situation, one or two deaths of the tank is all it takes to sour the experience.

4 Likes

Y’all keep misusing “viable”. Viable does not mean easy.

Viable means capable.

2 Likes

In terms of mythic plus a viable tank is one that provides a tool set that the average skill level player can utilize to achieve success levels similar to other average level skill players that are playing other tanks.

1 Like

they 100% balance tanks based on the representation at the top end lol. they base it on alot of information but one specific piece is representation through out different key levels including the top keys. which honestly they should nerf and buff based off the top levels since those players are playing the class correctly and to its limits.

1 Like

Bro… you say all tanks are viable while playing on a feral spec that hasn’t gone further than a 14. Try going guardian and tanking a 20 key first, then talk. I have been playing bear tank since BC, and this is the first time I have been actually angry at the game. Getting one shot by trash mechanics that passively deal 30% less damage to every other tank spec makes guardian not viable. We have to keep 2 stacks of Ironfur up at a minimum to have the SAME armor as a warrior with no defensives up. Which means poping a defensive at the start of every pull and not having them up for mechanics that you need them for. You cant time a 20 key by pulling 3 mobs at a time, and guardian can only handle 3 mobs at a time unless you have a healer that knows how to heal a bear. Because heling a bear is different than healing ANY other tank spec right now. For the first time in almost 20 years of playing the game, I am switching classes, because tanking on a bear right now is nothing but headaches and getting trash talked to in higher keys for not being able to survive basic pulls. It doesn’t help that Blizz won’t even acknowledge the fact that every tank is S or A rank and bears and straight C rank.

14 Likes

This is accurate, it creates a real issue when you PUG. Healing a bear is a difficulty spike that most groups are just not ready for. There are choke points in dungeons that the group is not aware of because for the other tanks it has not been an issue. If you have a regular group this might not be as pronounced, but for someone who PUGS this baseline difference between mitigation on tanks creates a toxic group dynamic once the fingers start to get pointed

3 Likes