Battle.net stuck at "Initializing.."

My Battle.net app shows that there are updates for:

1. WoW PTR
  2. WoW Retail
  3. WoW Classic

No matter which one I have it work on, the Update gets stuck on “Initializing” at 0% and won’t budge from there, even after I leave it alone for hours.

This has happened now for several days, and I cannot play the game at all.

Please advise what I should do to fix this problem.

Thank you in advance for any help.

4 Likes

Wow. Literally. No help forthcoming? I still can’t get any WoW game going - not retail, not classic, not PTR. I can log in to Diablo III and play, but none of the WoW games work. The Battle.net launcher keeps showing “Updating” and “Initializing”… and 0% completion.

Sad.

1 Like

Right click and select Run as Administrator on the launcher.

5 Likes

That doesn’t seem to accomplish anything. It’s the same result. The app is stuck on “Updating”, with WoW Classic at 0%, PTR at 83%, and retail WoW at 0%. It also doesn’t matter which I tell it to update while pausing the other two. The progress bars do not progress at all, stuck on “…Initializing”.

Also, if I go and launch each individual .exe file independent of the battle.net launcher, they crash immediately, with an error message saying something about not being able to read a memory somewhere.

Maybe I’ll eventually have to reinstall my whole WoW folder, but it’s a major task, and I hope to be able to get this fixed without going to that solution.

Maybe try these steps?

https://eu.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/update-stuck-at-initializing/21665/2

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion and the links, Zungar.

However after I performed all instructed steps, nothing changed.

The new Battle.net app installation is doing the same thing: getting stuck on the Updating function. My WoW PTR update remains at 83%, WoW Classic and Retail remain at 0% updates, and the app is stuck on “…Initializing” no matter which update I set it on executing.

Now, I tried something different. I made Battle.net locate and list Diablo, Starcraft, and Starcraft II, games that I had installed on one of my drives. Then I made the app update those games. They all worked perfectly, each game got duly updated! I even had Battle.net work on installing Heroes of the Storm, which I had never played or installed before. And that worked too.

But the problem remains with the WoW installations. I also notice that there is a “WoW Beta” of some sort listed, it too needs an update. I tried to get that one going, but no dice, it behaved just like with the other 3 (retail, classic, ptr): stuck at Initializing.

So I guess something must have corrupted my WoW installation? What would be the best steps to reinstall that, while saving all my current addons and character variables?

Have you tried a scan and repair on your wow install?

Scan and Repair didn’t do anything either, got stuck just the same as Updating.

So I finally gave in, saved my WTF, Interface, Screenshots folders from each of the 3 WoW directories (retail, classic, PTR), uninstalled all of them, and used Battle.net to re-install each one. It took a bit of time, but it eventually got done.

The games run well now, no more issue. Hopefully they’ll stay that way.

Thank you all for your inputs!

2 Likes

This stuff does nothing. I have restarted the app, task manager restart, etc and still nothing. It just started doing this… I wonder if it has something to do with the firewall or the Network…

2 Likes

Happened to me as well. Battlenet did some update and hasn’t been working since. Uninstaller is broken as well. I tried manually nuking everything but the installer still doesn’t work.

update: i followed this and it worked

2 Likes