Battlenet Popup Advertising

What’s with the crap popup advertisements with battlenet? Sorry Blizz, I don’t want to play Burning Crusade again, and we all know Diablo IV is a pipe dream. Let us play this damned game without the spam.

1 Like

Just here for the bites :rofl:

1 Like

Need a juicer worm. Wiggles toes

1 Like

I thought it was just a blizzcon thing.

I thought this was a troll or joke thread, but yeah we are getting popups. This is not OK in my opinion.

I think this is the second or third time a popup add has shown up on this launcher. We really should be complaining more loudly about this before it gets worse but saying that makes me a crackpot, I guess.

3 Likes

Today we got another pop-up, and this is absolutely ridiculous.

“Save 20% when upgrading [to] Shadowlands…”

Seriously? I pre-ordered a year before it launched and spent several months beta-testing it. And now you are flashing ads in my face instead of just letting me click “play game” ?

Blizzard must have learned the wrong lessons from the success of WoW Classic. It seems they think we are nostalgic for how the internet used to be, pop-up ads included!

(I wouldn’t mind as much if it was actually useful info like “click here for Blizzcon” or “servers down for maintenance”. That would actually be a service to players rather than abusing us.)

1 Like

What’s really annoying is getting a pop-up that Shadowlands is on sale every time I open battle net.

I own Shadowlands. I’m about to play Shadowlands. Ugh. Stop popping up.

2 Likes

It takes less than a second to click an X for the ad to go away and never come back. Let’s not act dramatic.

1 Like

Clicking X is harmless, true – though it does take more than one second if you consider that you have to blink and realize you are even facing an unexpected popup.

But its still an unexpected slap in the face. And nothing stops Blizzard from slapping me again and again unless I be honest and say I don’t like it.

PS. For clarity; its a slap because it feels hollow to have an email in my inbox that says “thanks for helping beta test” when the marketing division follows up weeks later with “BUY SHADOWLANDS NOW 20% OFF”. I mean, its not like they don’t know already that I have the game…

1 Like

And do all of your friends have it? Do you have the highest edition of it?

This isn’t about you. It’s about a general ad to let you and others you know about a sale on every edition of the expansion. They don’t scan your system first. They want everyone to know and to pass it on. Just like any other ad.

Do you get this upset with Steam advertising a game you already own?

Let’s be logical here. Clicking a lousy X isn’t the end of the world. And it’s certainly not a…

Which means time for…

https://media1.giphy.com/media/Cu04j7yFdWhR6/giphy.gif

1 Like

And do all of your friends have it? Do you have the highest edition of it?

Yes, and yes. And Blizzard knows this. I’m logged on!

Still, you are very right about the drink. Point taken.

/wave

1 Like

Fun fact. You can completely bypass this by either right clicking the launcher icon or launching the wow executable directly. Or at least you used to be able to. Although the executable method won’t log you in like the battletnet app does.

1 Like

If WoW went FTP I don’t care how many ads they put up. About to log in and an Ad for Vagiisil pops up.
Oh ok, cool. Press X.

This indeed does still work.