Battle.net Launcher won't update at all

The Battle.net launcher says I’m up to date. I’ve restarted my computer already, as well as made sure to fully close the launcher before attempting again.

Logging in drops into a list of incompatible servers. Forcing it to check for an update once again says “You’re up to date!”

I don’t know what to do.

4 Likes

i have a similar issue, the launcher says that there is a problem with my game and needs to repair, then starts a loop analyzing the game, but it doesn’t repair it or update at all.

My game wont even let me load WoW… it hate me on battle.net constantly trying to “update” then says something went wrong, and two hours ago when I ran the repair tool its been finishing the repair and starting over and over and over for hours… not able to play the game even though I was playing up until they shut down the servers… now all of a sudden I can’t even “update” the game and all my buddies said they didn’t even have to do an update just launch the game and they’re online… makes literally no sense blizzard is by far the worst company to date, nothing but full force down hill since 2012

1 Like

Fix ur broken game Blizzard, this is irritating.

Just updating the both of you:

So this may help, it may not help, but this worked for me.

1. Close the launcher.
  2. Open the Task Manager with CTRL+SHIFT+ESC.
  3. Ensure that BlizzardUpdateAgent isn’t running and that no Blizzard related tasks are running.
  4. Press Win+R and type %ProgramData% and press enter.
  5. Find the “Blizzard Entertainment” folder and delete the entire folder. Do not mess with the Battle.net folder.

From here go ahead and completely restart the computer. Open the start menu, and navigate to the shutdown button. Hold down the shift key while you press the shutdown button. This forces Windows 10 to shut down completely instead of hibernating (win10 tries to save time by hibernating, but this saves data between shut downs).

Turn the computer back on, relaunch the launcher, and if it begins to update and correctly does so you’re golden.

In my case even after the launcher was closed the update agent was running in the background. Forcing that to close, along with deleting the cache (step 5), made the launcher basically “forget” the issue and start over fresh.

If this doesn’t help then I’m sorry and I hope you can get whatever specific issue is happening for you fixed.

8 Likes

I am having the exact same issue. I too have tried all the fixes you listed. However the update fails everything it tries to start and it jumps into scan and repair mode; stuck in an endless loop.

This is a repeated problem with patches recently and have had to fully reinstall the game twice to date, in the last 3 months. Quite frustrating.

Worked for me, thank you :smiley:

Yeah they cooked this update in some way, I’ve just spent the past 4 hours redownloading 68gb…

I am also experiencing difficulties post-update. Maybe it is retribution for slaying innocent souls on the Timeless Isle, but I’ve tried:

• Scan and repair, gets stuck in a loop of eternal scanning and repairing
  • Deleting all .idx files and trying again
  • Uninstalling Warcraft and reinstalling, uninstalling battle.net and trying again

Nothing so far has seemed to work - has anyone managed to resolve their issue?

I am just stuck watching the logging in animation. Quite mesmerizing if you stare too long but not exactly how I planned to spend my morning.

Update: I have now removed all traces of Warcraft, and the game actually seems to be installing rather than immediately saying “OH THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THE GAME, LET’S SCAN AND REPAIR!” - will keep you updated but looks like some of the original files became corrupted (by N’Zoth).

This worked, thanks!

1 Like

I did it, I figured out another fix for this god forsaken app. (Windows 11) So I was having so many issues with this app that sounded like this. I tried everything from the forums to no avail and I also put 2 tickets in and got no help after a couple days.

What I ended up doing was going to “Windows Defender Firewall” , then clicking “Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall”, “Change Setting” at the top right. “Allow another app”, “Browse” then go into “C:\ProgramData\Battle.net\Agent” there you will see “Agent.exe” add that BUT WAIT there is more. In that same location click into each folder labeled “Agent.8020” & “Agent.8022”. In each of those folders there are more "Agent.exe"s’ but these 3 agents are all different. Once you put them through restart your pc and try re-installing or whatever you were trying to do.

1 Like

I wish blizzard would act like this is going on for people. I had no idea other folks were having the issue. I thought I was on an island. I want to thank regular users for the help. I think though I may end up not playing. I don’t want to uninstall the whole game which takes a long time. I have a slow internet connection only to find out no fix. I feel like unless blizzard does some type of launcher update this won’t be fixed for me. I am currently trying the delete program data thing. I won’t know if it’s working until the update is installed a 30 to 40 mins from now. Will update to say if it worked.